Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Sleep away camps for girls
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 4:10 pm
Lydia wrote:
What does it mean that there is a "preferred half?" That your daughter prefers to go then, or that most girls prefer it, or that the camp is run differently then, or different kind of girls are accepted for each half?

Its preferred because the half that has the 9 days and tisha bav noone wants to go.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 4:13 pm
I totally hear that. I prefer the half without the nine days or tisha b'av as well.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:50 pm
just as a counterpoint, my daughter wanted to be in camp for the 9 days & tisha B'av because the camp arranged a lot of activities to help the girls find meaning in those days, and they could observe it together.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:01 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I just checked my forms from Camp Bnos from 2016. First trip was $2375, second trip was $2325. I don't know if they go up yearly and I doubt they give discounts but I don't know for sure. Sorry I can't give you more recent info but at least this gives you an idea about their prices.

About 2695 for first half this year and 2595 for second this year.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:46 pm
I'm passing out from these numbers. How is anyone doing this?! Why isn't there a much bigger push for no-frills camps? It makes seminary look like a bargain. My oldest is about 4 years away from "everyone" going, think we can fix this by then?!

Frenchfry

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:03 pm
BRC is much cheaper. I think the whole thing is subsidized. Like 1400. It's only in July. In August it's boy's half. CRC same price I think.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:44 am
Yes bnos ruach chaim is less just for first half more yeshivish. Girls had a great time. With all the fees it's like 2000 not 1400 but still less than other camps.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 3:43 am
seeker wrote:
I'm passing out from these numbers. How is anyone doing this?! Why isn't there a much bigger push for no-frills camps? It makes seminary look like a bargain. My oldest is about 4 years away from "everyone" going, think we can fix this by then?!

And I'm amazed by these numbers. It is all perspective and expectations.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 7:33 am
More fancy modern orthodox camps are closer to 4,000/5,000 per half, and there many kids go for the whole summer!
2600/ half makes sense in the more yeshivish circles, and this is part of why most people send for half a summer. How do you think a sleepaway camp can afford to feed and entertain kids on a campus with amenities and trips and staff, have on call doctors and nurses and proper oversight etc for less than 500/week? And still make money?
Sleepaway camp is 100% a luxury. One that is a great experience for many kids who are able to go, but definitely a luxury.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 7:39 am
I went to camp Sternberg back when it was still a federation camp and it was still $1500 for three weeks. I only went to camp as a paying camper for 2 summers before I was staff. However in those days you didn't pay anything to be a staff member from going into 11th grade and up- the first summer you payed a little for the two big trips and that was it. On the flip side you also didn't get paid much for being junior staff/jc/counselor/specialty.

karat

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 7:48 am
Also:
Lehava
Lakemont

I believe that Camp Bais Yaakov is the most affordable.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 8:32 am
If your daughter's old enough she can go as a mother's helper. Which is much cheaper. The girls know what they're getting into as far as not being able to fully participate but they really should be able to enjoy themselves.
Disclaimer: our experience was 10 years ago.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:25 am
I was told BRC has no extra costs and you have to start going early on as a camper to make sure you get in and I was told they are selective about the kids and check them out..
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics