Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I have a child with motor dyspraxia
Previous  1  2

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 8:40 pm
im bumping this up for the one who asked me the last question a few days ago and I missed it.

she understands a lot and can speak some. she might understand way more then she speaks as her language is delayed. her primary language is yiddish.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:05 am
dear peach, it has been a while since you last posted. could you update us on what you have done and how your dd is feeling right now?
I will be teaching a 6 year old with majoy motoric dyspraxia syndrome and am looking for advice.

I called his ot and as my relative is a pediatic neurologist I asked for info about these type of kids. she hadned me some scientific papers but ..yeah its definitely medical info, not practical educational advice Smile

I met the boy and he has severe issues communicating, hardly any eyecontact, difficulties holding pen etc. a really cute kid who seems to enjoy when giving him attention but after 10 minutes he was too overwhelmed to continue. hardly any ability to focus. easily scared also.

I want to do everything right in class. there are 20 kids and im alone.

any advice?

parents seem to be nice and supportiv but overwhelmed. financial issues add to the bruden, so he cant attend private therapies and needs to wait for speach therapy and futther evaluation.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:18 pm
ok to update anyone who would want to know how my dd is doing. she was diagnosed with high function autism by a pediatric neurologist in csh. she is in a special setting for that and is doing extremely well. I did not continue with the bcba. as I have learned that they are not allowed to diagnose just treat. currently in lakewood the whole system is not very easy to get all the therapy these types of children need. so she gets quite a lot but not everything she technically should. but she is doing so very well. I cringe to think what would have been had I not done what I did to help her get the diagnosis and get the help she is. it would get worse and worse and it would not look nice at all. (bh thank you hashem!)

to amother above this child should probably be in a special setting. your not qualified to deal with hardly verbal 6 year old. that alone tells me its not ok for you to be teaching him. sorry for being blunt but its a highly specialized type of therapy that these types of children get and you cant do this wihout training

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:22 pm
you are not licensed to deal with this. you should refer the parents to a developmental pediatrician in childrens specialized hospital to get an eval and services for the above issues. in a class with 20 children and a teacher who has no help is a disaster for this child. hes in a wrong setting. its so sad for me to read this. (I know I dont know everything just from what you wrote) yet something sounds quite off. he should be put in an appropriate setting, there is many places. call ziva kreiger foundation they can evaluate too and give you guidance
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics