Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher Indian Restiarant ANYWHERE with a good hescher???
Previous  1  2  3

Odelyah

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:28 am
2 that I have heard are excellent are one in St. Louis and Navaratna in Stamford, CT.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Sorry. The one on Stamford does not have a good hechsher. They are dairy. I was there, and there was no supervision. They claimed they were pareve. This was not so long ago. But maybe things changed.

Where do they claim to be pareve? Their website says kosher and vegetarian-- not vegan. And there is cheese on the menu. They do not hide it.

Vegetarian doesn't mean pareve. Vegan should be pareve.

And what do you mean by no supervision? They are under the Vaad of Fairfield County, a reputable local Vaad. The mashgichim I know who work for them are chashuv yarei shamayim. They do not hold that they require a mashgiach temidi as they are not serving meat. But they absolutely have a mashgiach that stops in at whatever frequency they deem appropriate.

Everyone is entitled to their own standards of kashrus but to make a damaging blanket statement that it's "not a good hechsher" and there is "no supervision" is wrong.

In the area they are generally known as a decent, local hashgacha. Personally, we rely on them except for items containing vegetables that require checking, because we are not 100% sure that their vegetable policy meets our standards. If someone is unsure for themselves the best thing would be to contact the Vaad and ask them your questions.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 11:54 am
Odelyah wrote:
Where do they claim to be pareve? Their website says kosher and vegetarian-- not vegan. And there is cheese on the menu. They do not hide it.

Vegetarian doesn't mean pareve. Vegan should be pareve.

And what do you mean by no supervision? They are under the Vaad of Fairfield County, a reputable local Vaad. The mashgichim I know who work for them are chashuv yarei shamayim. They do not hold that they require a mashgiach temidi as they are not serving meat. But they absolutely have a mashgiach that stops in at whatever frequency they deem appropriate.

Everyone is entitled to their own standards of kashrus but to make a damaging blanket statement that it's "not a good hechsher" and there is "no supervision" is wrong.

In the area they are generally known as a decent, local hashgacha. Personally, we rely on them except for items containing vegetables that require checking, because we are not 100% sure that their vegetable policy meets our standards. If someone is unsure for themselves the best thing would be to contact the Vaad and ask them your questions.

There was not an orthodox Jew on the premises working for them. We were the only visibly Jewish people there. We don't eat at places without supervision on site. That's the end of the story for us. OP specifically mention a good hescher. If she doesn't care about these things, then she should have not have included the word good before hescher because it is subjective.

I know people who call themselves frum and eat at vegetarian places like this.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:31 pm
There was not an orthodox Jew on the premises working for them. We were the only visibly Jewish people there. We don't eat at places without supervision on site. That's the end of the story for us. OP specifically mention a good hescher. If she doesn't care about these things, then she should have not have included the word good before hescher because it is subjective.

this was a popular Indian vegetarian restaurant, owned by non-Jews, before they went under hashgacha. There are kosher Chinese restaurants like this as well. The reason you won't always see frum people eating there is because most of their clientele are not Jewish/frum. Frum people definitely do eat there though. And again, there is a fine, ehrlich mashgiach, just not a mashgiach temidi. Many other hashgachos that most people would consider good hashgachos do not require a mashgiach temidi for milchig restaurants. If you only eat at milchig places that have a mashgiach temidi that is 100% fine for you, but it still doesn't mean that the Vaad of Fairfield is not a "good hashgacha" and that the people who rely on them only "call themselves frum". Sheesh Sad

watergirl

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:43 pm

There is a hechsher. Its not one of these nonkosher but vegetarian places.

Dairy restaurants don't need a mashgach temidi. Someone comes in and checks the vegetables in the morning and turns on the ovens and stoves. If the pilot light goes out, they call and the mashgiach turns it back on. Learn the halachos please before you start with “people who call themselves frum”.

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:43 pm
watergirl wrote:
There is one in Dallas. Its really good!!

It lost it's hechsher a few years ago. Did it get it back?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:29 pm
watergirl wrote:
There is a hechsher. Its not one of these nonkosher but vegetarian places.

Dairy restaurants don't need a mashgach temidi. Someone comes in and checks the vegetables in the morning and turns on the ovens and stoves. If the pilot light goes out, they call and the mashgiach turns it back on. Learn the halachos please before you start with “people who call themselves frum”.

I didn't say the people who eat at these kinds of places aren't frum.

What does "a good hescher"mean? Does it mean a place that everyone will eat at? In that case, then it is not a good hescher. If by "good hescher" does it mean that some will eat there? Then it's a good hescher. It is a subjective standard. I wouldn't eat there.

I just asked my husband. He said he isn't comfortable without someone on premises. There are some local restaurants he wouldn't eat in for the same reason. I know others wouldn't eat there either. What can I tell you. For us, it isn't good. It might be excellent for OP.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:03 pm
OP here. Wow so many choices!! Thank you everyone. I guess I am not the only lover of Indian. Sorry I wasn’t Clearer on the hescher. Once we tried to go to an Indian restaurant in NYC and it had a weird hescher that not acceptable to us because it was open on Shabbos and served naan during Pesach. It was not an OK hescher when we called to ask. We do keep CY so a dairy restaurant wouldn’t work for us. Thanks everyone!! I wonder how many posters on this thread are BT like me 😉 and grew up eating Indian food. I am in the South but will be in Israel soon so will check out the two restaurants mentioned.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. Wow so many choices!! Thank you everyone. I guess I am not the only lover of Indian. Sorry I wasn’t Clearer on the hescher. Once we tried to go to an Indian restaurant in NYC and it had a weird hescher that not acceptable to us because it was open on Shabbos and served naan during Pesach. It was not an OK hescher when we called to ask. We do keep CY so a dairy restaurant wouldn’t work for us. Thanks everyone!! I wonder how many posters on this thread are BT like me 😉 and grew up eating Indian food. I am in the South but will be in Israel soon so will check out the two restaurants mentioned.

Check out Tasty Bite in the grocery stores.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm still looking for an Ethiopian restaurant in Israel. It seems that there are a few, but you have to call the day you want to come in, to make sure that the heksher is good. Supervision seems to come and go pretty randomly.

Not trying to derail the thread, but answering FranticFrummie's question about a good Ethiopian restaurant.

I loved eating at Gojo in Rehovot. "Keep calm and eat injera." Fleishig but with vegetarian options. It's a family owned restaurant. They offer sampler plates. Because their food items are made fresh, it takes a while to get your food. They speak great English and will explain anything on the menu.

I can't remember whose hashgacha they are under. Call.

thriver

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:15 pm
Veggie Crust in Boston was mentioned a few times. Very reliable hechsher—KVH and delicious! Boston is a fun place to visit too

etky

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:44 pm
Check out Tasty Bite in the grocery stores.

Be aware though that not all of their products are vegan - some are dairy.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Our Vaad, whose hashgachah is on the CRC approved list permits non-Jewish owned dairy restaurants to be open on Shabbos and to stay open serving chometz during Pesach. If your standards are stricter than the CRC, you should probably specify them.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Our Vaad, whose hashgachah is on the CRC approved list permits non-Jewish owned dairy restaurants to be open on Shabbos and to stay open serving chometz during Pesach. If your standards are stricter than the CRC, you should probably specify them.

This sounds like nonsense. I told my husband and he had a harsher word. If this is true, CRC. Is not a good hechsher.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:41 pm
This sounds like nonsense. I told my husband and he had a harsher word. If this is true, CRC. Is not a good hechsher.

You don't have to think it's good personally, but on a communal level I think it's as highly respected as the OU, that is to say it's very mainstream.

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The one in ashdod is called Namaste and is meat, not dairy. It's really good. Enjoy!

MommyATL

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Navaratna in Stamford, CT is a kosher Indian restaurant under the Vaad of Fairfield.

It's an Indian restaurant that went kosher, so it's very authentic, and very delicious!

http://www.navaratnact.com/

When we're in CT, we make it a point to go to Navaratna. My daughter and her friends have driven from Long Island to Stamford to go there. It's really fantastic!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen