Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Can you help me plan a 2 day getaway with snags?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:35 pm
Here's the deal: I have 2 days vacation which I wanted to spend with DH, leaving early morning, driving up to 3-4 hours from NY, spending the night, the next day and returning in time for the kids coming home from school.

We were very into Downton Abbey lately, so I thought a visit to Newport, RI would be perfect. I'm not interested in mansions per se, but now that I have a greater understanding of how these places functioned, it seemed like the perfect destination. I even started a thread about visiting there in the winter. We'd do the Touro Synagogue, the cliff walk, and 2-3 mansions.

Snag #1, Touro Synagogue is open only Sundays in the winter. We will not be there Sunday. If I travel till there, even though that wasn't the initial attraction to this destination, does it make sense to miss out on visiting it?

Snag #2, and this one is the big one: I will need to go to the mikva that night that we planned on being away. I have no problem going to the mikva at a destination other than my hometown but it seems like Newport does not have a mikva. The closest one is 40 minutes away. As it is, preparations and dunking will involve "wasting" time of our vacation, so I don't want to be using more time for travel there and back.

Having said all that, I'm wondering if it makes sense to re-think our destination. I'm chilled about where to go, but I want it to be fun with some local attractions that are doable in the winter, not too far from NY, and with an easily accessible mikvah. Can you help me with a plan?

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:53 pm
I would switch locations and do Newport a different time (possibly with kids? It’s very child friendly).

Ideas depending on what you enjoy- Boston, Connecticut, Philadelphia, Manhatten(my choice for such a short trip, and beautiful Mikvah)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:03 pm
We've been to Manhattan once for a short trip, but getting around town was dreadful with our car and TBH, we've been there so many times that it doesn't feel like a real getaway. There isn't much to do and see there that we haven't been yet.

I'd love to hear more about the other places you mentioned, what the three main attractions are in any of these places.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:10 pm
Boston- 4 hours + depending where you are coming from. It’s beautiful, STUNNING new Mikvah:) and kosher food options including delivery.
In one day I would probably do the observatory and a tour of harvard but everyone has their own interests.

Philly- the bell and choose one museum.

I’ve done different parts of Manhatten- park your car and Uber or walk where you go by day. But it definitely doesn’t feel as exciting as going someplace new.

For me along drive on each day takes up lots of time and is very draining.

Do you enjoy winter sports?

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:17 pm
I personally wouldn’t go as far as Newport or Boston for only 1 night. I suggest Philly. There are Mikvahs and restaurant to get a nice dinner if you want ;and lunch and breakfast) there’s lots to see (American Jewish museum is excellent, I thought. The liberty bell, of course. All of old Philadelphia is lovely to walk around and through) and it’s nice and close

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Boston- 4 hours + depending where you are coming from. It’s beautiful, STUNNING new Mikvah:) and kosher food options including delivery.
In one day I would probably do the observatory and a tour of harvard but everyone has their own interests.

Philly- the bell and choose one museum.

I’ve done different parts of Manhatten- park your car and Uber or walk where you go by day. But it definitely doesn’t feel as exciting as going someplace new.

For me along drive on each day takes up lots of time and is very draining.

Do you enjoy winter sports?

We enjoy ice skating, snow tubing and have yet to learn how to ski. Wink

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:41 pm
Poconos

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:57 pm
I second philly... check out riverrink-outdoor skating by the water/bridge in background.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Poconos

Where? What? Why?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 10:17 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I second philly... check out riverrink-outdoor skating by the water/bridge in background.

I need more ideas of attractions that are interesting/available in the winter.

Lovemy5

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 10:36 pm
The museum of the American Revolution in Philly is great if you’re into that. If you stay central, you can walk most places. I’m sure there’s a Mikva, just don’t know where.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 10:42 pm
I'm reading Dansdeals forums for ideas of what to do and where to stay in Philly. In the meantime, anyone with info on Mikvah would be appreciated.

So far I have:
American Jewish History Museum
Eastern State Penitentiary
Liberty Bell and Independence Hall

Feel free to add any opinions or info about lodging, dining, mikva, shul, and attractions. Thank you!

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:16 am
For Philly, we've really enjoyed the penitentiary, as well as the American Jewish History Museum. You also have Camden Aquarium and the US Mint, and if you're going in a month, the Philly Flower show which is AMAZING!!! You can also stay in Cherry Hill, which may be cheaper for lodging and has a few minyan and kosher restaurant options and is just across the bridge from the attractions.

If you want to go farther, Boston and DC are both great options, though which your limited time available, I'd rather spend it doing stuff instead of driving. Also, even though my mind knows it's not an issue anymore, I'd probably still be creeped out to use the DC mikvah.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:28 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Poconos

For winter sports and cheesy romantic hotels. No clue if there’s a mikva there.

Shoshie

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:02 am
The Franklin Institute in Philly is a great science museum.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:45 am
Camden Aquarium is right across the bridge from Phili.

ETA phili has the Franklin Institute (science museum), the Phili Art Museum and the mint.

jkw

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:06 am
Touro Synagogue and the museum are very special. Also in warmer weather you can do the Cliff walk around the mansions. Nearby is Blythe House and Gardens where you can picnic. Defnitely save Newport for warmer weather!

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
For winter sports and cheesy romantic hotels. No clue if there’s a mikva there.

Closest mikvah is probably in Scranton, which is probably around 45 minutes each way, not terrible, but may not be worth it to OP on her tight schedule.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:15 pm
Can anyone help me out a bit more? I'm endlessly googling, but for those of you who have ever been or live there, is it better to stay in Lower Merion area or Cherry Hill? Both of these have mikvaos and shuls, so the question is as far as hotels, kosher eateries and distance to Center City?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics