Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ohr Dovid, Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:42 pm
My son is currently in 1st grade in a special ed program. Academically, he's on par. But his adhd - focusing and impulsivity - are a huge problem. Academically, he can mainstream. Behaviorally, he cannot. and we are very unhappy with the program he's currently in. Ohr Dovid has been recommended to us and I'm looking for more information on the program. He really needs a place that can handle his behavior but still provide him with a (relatively) mainstream education. TIA

livinginisrael

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:26 pm
What special ed program is he in? My son is in ohr dovid and we are thrilled.
He was in a mainstream yeshiva till pre1a then got kicked out for behaviors so we switched him. The school is amazing. The teachers and staff are all warm and loving. He is not learning what a second grader in a mainstream school is learning but he is happy and I'm not getting phone calls complaining about him. Small classes so they get a lot of attention

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 2:38 pm
livinginisrael wrote:
What special ed program is he in? My son is in ohr dovid and we are thrilled.
He was in a mainstream yeshiva till pre1a then got kicked out for behaviors so we switched him. The school is amazing. The teachers and staff are all warm and loving. He is not learning what a second grader in a mainstream school is learning but he is happy and I'm not getting phone calls complaining about him. Small classes so they get a lot of attention

He is currently in Cahal. He is very smart and academically capable. I don't want a special ed program that will hold him back. I know the scholastic divide between special ed and regular ed gets greater each year so that by the time they are in middle school, they often can't mainstream, they simply are too behind and then concerns regarding high school are a real issue.

Any other info on Ohr Dovid? What types of boys go there - in terms of academic or behavioral issues?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)