Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Scotland theme - ideas?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:23 pm
We'd like to theme this year's MM around Scotland. If anyone has any ideas for what to include, packaging, a cute poem, or appropriate costumes, I'd be tremendously grateful!!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:27 pm
Kilts for the boys, obv Smile As for MM, you could put in mini whiskey bottles. I guess if you want, you can make a bunch of little shepherds pies, but that's a lot of work.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:32 pm
Gummy worms for the Loch Ness monster? And tartan bags.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:39 pm
Anything with butter"scotch"

plaid print for Scottish skirts

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:39 pm
If you and those you give to accept OUD then Walker's Shortbread would be good.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:40 pm
I found cute marroon boxes, lined it with nice tartan plaid napkins.
I gave 2 long homemade bi"Scott"I, and a small scotch whisky

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:44 pm
If you live in Brooklyn, I'm pretty sure I gave my scottish costumes to my cousin for her purim gemach. It had kilts for girls, plaid pants for boys and men, sporans, sashes, tams (hats).
pm me for her name and number if you want it.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 9:18 am
(Anon because I did this exact thing last year)

Tartan material (available off amazon)
Create a pouch or you can just use it as ribbon to tie cellophane bags.

A small whisky (not bourbon!)
Round cookies iced with tartan icing (not terribly hard to make alone or get custom made)
Butterscotch taffies (altho they’re not specifically Scottish but they have “scotch” in the name)

Dressing up : if your boys/men will go for it - kilts all the way. Otherwise girls in female kilts and boys can wear tartan pants with white shirts and a tamoshanter (Scottish hat).
For people who don’t wanna dress up eg husbands or you, you can get aprons or tshirts that have a kilt printed on it.

Other ideas I was going to do for my mm:
Mars bars (oud)
Walkers shortbread (oud)
Irn bru (not cheap at all in Usa but really Scottish)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:55 am
Hats with Pom poms bag pipes

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:07 am
Why whiskey? Why not scotch? Make shortbread cookies in the shape of a scottie dog. Tie a little plaid ribbon about their neck. There used to be candies in that shape. Give butterscotch candies.

What a fun theme.

byisrael

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:51 am
Oatmeal scones/cookies
whiskey
butterscotch candies

ImaMum

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 12:23 pm
Food and Drink:
Scottish Whisky is spelt this way (I.e. not Whiskey!!)
Dundee Cake
Cranachan
Shortbread
Scottish Smoked Salmon
Haggis and mash Tongue Out

Costumes:
Kilts are obvious of course
Bagpipes
Ginger hair

You could even make your own family Tartan colour!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 2:08 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Why whiskey? Why not scotch? Make shortbread cookies in the shape of a scottie dog. Tie a little plaid ribbon about their neck. There used to be candies in that shape. Give butterscotch candies.

What a fun theme.

Ummm whisky IS scotch? Americans call it scotch but it is actually WHISKY. (No e, with an e is Irish).

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 2:11 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Ummm whisky IS scotch? Americans call it scotch but it is actually WHISKY. (No e, with an e is Irish).

Yes and no.

"The main difference between scotch and whisky is geographic, but also ingredients and spellings. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is whiskey made in the U.S.A, generally Kentucky. Scotch is made mostly from malted barley, while bourbon is distilled from corn. If you’re in England and ask for a whisky, you’ll get Scotch. But in Ireland, you’ll get Irish whiskey (yep, they spell it differently for a little colour)."

https://www.mentalfloss.com/ar.....urbon

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 6:37 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yes and no.

"The main difference between scotch and whisky is geographic, but also ingredients and spellings. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is whiskey made in the U.S.A, generally Kentucky. Scotch is made mostly from malted barley, while bourbon is distilled from corn. If you’re in England and ask for a whisky, you’ll get Scotch. But in Ireland, you’ll get Irish whiskey (yep, they spell it differently for a little colour)."

https://www.mentalfloss.com/ar.....urbon

Well we can battle the technicalities back and forth but bourbon whiskey and Irish whiskey are both not whisky.
Whisky (without an e) is specifically made and has rules and regulations to be considered so.

The calling it scotch is an American thing. Go into a bar in Ireland they’ll ask you what kind of whisky.
I’ve never met anyone who calls is scotch that is not American or not in America. Again we can battle back and forth but the person I was responding to asked why not scotch and I was saying that the whisky people here are referring to IS scotch, it’s the same thing.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Feb 15 2023, 10:33 am
Bumping this- How did it work out? Any new ideas.
Was thinking of making meat pies- but that is work! Would beef sticks work- they have pictures of cows on the bag- highland cows- is that pushing it?

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 15 2023, 6:41 pm
Scotch and shortbread.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 15 2023, 9:39 pm
mini Scotch and homemade Bi"scott"I
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics