Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is it scary to fly to EY this week?

Be scared?
Don't be scared, have bitachon and daven.  
 77%  [ 45 ]
Take deep breaths.  
 12%  [ 7 ]
Take tranquilizers.  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Ask him not to go.  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Other.  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:58 pm
I'm thinking 1. the peace plan will be released and there are sure to be reactions and 2. Corona virus may be traveling with world travelers.

Of course Hashem is watching us wherever and whenever we do anything, but I am starting to feel frightened & want DH to cancel or postpone his trip.

Of course he's going to tell me I'm nuts.

What do you think?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:03 pm
Is he going to a place where there have been riots in the past? If not, I wouldn’t worry. (But I live here and these politics don’t change much for me.)

banana123

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:08 pm
1. No more scary than usual, and the reactions have been going since 2017.
2. Why would it be more scary than going to the store, when you know some of your neighbors may have traveled recently?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:11 pm
the virus is not spreading so fast

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 6:42 pm
We were in israel for a family simcha when trump announced he would be moving the embassy to Jerusalem and the arabs promised 3 days of riots. I have never felt safer. IDF knows how to deal with these situations.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:28 pm
I wouldn't be worried. If you can, get him to wear a paper mask while in the airport and on the plane. Carry a bottle of hand sanitizer, too.

As far as danger on the ground, I feel safer in Israel than I have just about anywhere else I've been in the US.

More people are killed in Chicago on an average weekend, than are killed in terror related activities in Israel in a whole year.

People focus on scary stuff in the wrong proportions.It's the exceptional cases that always make big news. Think about how scared people are of shark attacks, when they are thousands of times more likely to die in an auto accident on the way to the store.

Do you know how many shark fatalities there were in the past 15 years? 11. That's right, ELEVEN.

Of course, if Hashem decides it's time for you to get eaten by a shark, there's not much you can do about it. Still, we do our best to not make stupid decisions and expect divine intervention to save us. There is a place for logic in our lives, as well as faith.

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 9:21 pm
I just picked up someone in the airport yesterday and it was PACKED. Doesn't look like anyone canceled their trips to Israel.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 9:24 pm
DH says you know Hashem is in charge.

Well of course I do. But nevertheless you don't go into a mokom sakana.

DH says this trip is no more sakana than driving down the street or going to a simcha where people might have the flu.

I guess ....

(To be perfectly honest I am always pretty anxious when he goes away & that's even with getting someone to sleep over ... I guess I just look for excuses to convince him not to go, which never works.

I should really daven to be able to go with him next time ... just seems like davening for a miracle.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:43 am
I don't think your DH should cancel his plans but I will validate your anxiety.
I am upset and anxious about the Corona virus too and yes, it makes the idea of travel in general less attractive right now.
There have been a number of false alarms here in recent days but I think it's only a matter of time before it arrives here too and then, who knows the proportions of it.
Regarding the peace plan du jour - that wouldn't particularly worry me. There might be an uptick in violence in certain areas but he probably won't encounter anything out of the ordinary.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:23 am
I wouldn't worry. We travelled with a connecting flight around the time of the Swine Flu outbreak, right before it became public knowledge that that was going around. And within days of being at the airport, we because extremely ill, a horrible flu. Who knows if we had that or another virus. The point is, with the help of Hashem, vitamin D3 and vitamin C, we were able to get through it. Tell your husband to keep his immune system up with supplements, get plenty of rest and leave the rest up to Hashem. You can't let fear run your life!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:01 am
It's very common to pick up flu or other illnesses after a flight. (many hours of breathing in other peoples air...) So I would definitely worry more about that. I don't think the coronavirus is necessarily more dangerous then flu. Like flu it mostly kills older or already ill people.

My kids once got really sick after a flight to the USA. The airline would not let us change the date of the return flight to they were better (unless we paid several thousand dollars) and we had to travel with two flu-ey toddlers. I felt terrible for the other passengers but we just couldn't afford that type of money.

s c

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:12 am
My dh and ds are going tomorrow and I am not worrying about it . The only thing I said was that they should make sure they have good medical travel insurance cover in case chas vsholom they feel unwell whilst there.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:29 am
Raisin wrote:
It's very common to pick up flu or other illnesses after a flight. (many hours of breathing in other peoples air...) So I would definitely worry more about that. I don't think the coronavirus is necessarily more dangerous then flu. Like flu it mostly kills older or already ill people.

My kids once got really sick after a flight to the USA. The airline would not let us change the date of the return flight to they were better (unless we paid several thousand dollars) and we had to travel with two flu-ey toddlers. I felt terrible for the other passengers but we just couldn't afford that type of money.

It's true that most of those who died were over 50 years old. But you can have a preexisting condition and not be ill. And "mostly" is not "only."

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:45 am
Raisin wrote:

That is usually true, but it does hit people that are healthy and not old as well.
A sem friend just died from complications with the flu. She was 40 and the picture of health. So it does happen Sad

Roots

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:20 pm
In israel itself I dont think you have to worry cuz all of us that are living here are fine BH, about the flight, yes the corona virus thing is scary, lets hope everything goes well and he should have a safe trip Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DH says you know Hashem is in charge.

Well of course I do. But nevertheless you don't go into a mokom sakana.

DH says this trip is no more sakana than driving down the street or going to a simcha where people might have the flu.

I guess ....

(To be perfectly honest I am always pretty anxious when he goes away & that's even with getting someone to sleep over ... I guess I just look for excuses to convince him not to go, which never works.

I should really daven to be able to go with him next time ... just seems like davening for a miracle.
Hi from all of us who live in Israel. It is not any more dangerous than any of the places that have been attacked in america in the last months. Really. Relax. Calm your nerves. Israel is a safe place to come to.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:16 pm
As someone who lives in Israel, I can tell you I would know nothing about the peace plan or the coronavirus if I didn't read the news. Neither affect my life in any way whatsoever. Now, if you asked if he shouldn't come because driving around Jerusalem with all the construction going on for the additional lightrail lines can drive a person crazy, my answer might be a little different... LOL

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
That is usually true, but it does hit people that are healthy and not old as well.
A sem friend just died from complications with the flu. She was 40 and the picture of health. So it does happen Sad

That is awful. Sad But probably unusual. At least you can vaccinate against some flu strains.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP, you really need to get some therapy for your anxiety. It is not healthy or normal, and it is keeping you from enjoying your life. It sounds like you have separation anxiety as well as excessive worry and intrusive thoughts.

With the right help, you can break the cycle and get back in control of your brain, instead of having your thoughts control your life and make you miserable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:21 pm
No worries, ladies. I decided to go away (with some of my married kids) and had a great time! But thanks for all your insights! Will definitely consider your ideas, FF!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics