Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Girls daycamp in Lakewood
Previous  1  2

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 7:16 am
Various camps: about $450-$600 (depends on age), and about $100 less, second half. Transportation fees: about $70-90. It doesn't seem like they give discounts to sisters,(but I never asked about it).

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:10 am
Thank you for answering. It's actually less than I thought it would be I'm going to check out camps and see what we can do

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:14 pm
Do girl's from specific schools tend to stick together. If you have girls in different age categories (younger) how do you find out where they will both have friends. I'm really struggling with this.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:52 am
It depends - sometimes cousins will go to daycamp together, or neighbors. I remember my oldest used to like to go to daycamp with a neighbor who was her good friend but not in her class at school. My next DD liked to go with my niece - they get along great but were not in the same school. My youngest is going with school friends - I think going with my niece would not be good for them.

If you think going to school with school friends would benefit your DD, have her ask around about her friends' summer plans in school. My DD's class just made a play, and I took advantage of the time after to say hello to some of her friends' mothers and ask where they are sending their girls to daycamp. Or pick up the phone and make some phone calls....

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 12:01 pm
Thanks we made some phone calls - a lot of girls aren't going - which is making it harder.
I called the camps and t hey were so helpful in getting me a list of names of girls in the grade\school attending. That was a great starting point.

I just dealt with a camp director (not in this category) who gave me such a bad taste, like looking for only an "it" specific crowd, and excluding kids based on other kids opinions. I am so nervous now sending my kids to camp knowing that is out there. (And I'm feeling really bad for the kid in the situation...)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 2:43 pm
Ivory, your post highlights the importance of checking out camps - both daycamp and sleepaway camp - to ensure that our kids are in a wholesome, happy environment. To me, that's getting my money's worth - more than fancy activities, shows, and trips - I want to know that my child is noticed and treated fairly, and included in special treats - even if she shows up in the same old skirt and shirt consistently, because it's her favorite and the only thing she would put on in the morning, and she never wears hair accessories ever, and is in the same plain ponytail......

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks we made some phone calls - a lot of girls aren't going - which is making it harder.
I called the camps and t hey were so helpful in getting me a list of names of girls in the grade\school attending. That was a great starting point.

I just dealt with a camp director (not in this category) who gave me such a bad taste, like looking for only an "it" specific crowd, and excluding kids based on other kids opinions. I am so nervous now sending my kids to camp knowing that is out there. (And I'm feeling really bad for the kid in the situation...)

Wow, I don't like that at all. I dealt with a lot of girls camps, but never had that.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:12 pm
I sent my daughter to camp dollhouse last summer. It was the first time she was in a large day camp and she had a great time. I am sending her back again this yr since it worked out for her last year. I was worried about this daughter since she is shy and can get lost in a crowd but she really came home happy almost all the time. Sometimes even more than happy ...she was on a high at times! She is really looking forward to next summer. I just heard that the camp was sold to someone new so I am hoping it will be a good experience again. My girls are talking a lot about neranina. It seems that lots of their friends are going there. Maybe we will try next year? I would think that all the camps are fun and are geared towards giving the girls a great summer. I hope I am right!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:56 pm
Sending my kids to Camp Dollhouse this year. Only because I know the new director personally and I am super comfortable with her level of professionalism. (She was the director of the Daycamp in Willow Woods where my SIL has a summer home and my kids have visited plenty). My kids went to Neranina in the past (They enjoyed it for the most part) and they will be switching with their friends. Good Luck with whatever you all decide!
Anon because of location.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:11 pm
Chayalle, I wish I had seen this sooner, I would have chimed in earlier. Another vote for Meira!
My girls went there last year (their first real camp experience) and they were thrilled! I was actually quite surprised that when I spoke to the director this week she knew my kids' names. My older one was in Meira Five Stars and what I loved about it was that it was not over-the-top at all. I'm hoping this year at Meira TC's it will also be lower-key than the teen camps out there. (I sent oldest DD to a teen camp last year and it was completely over the top and wild...she was thrilled but I was not happy with all the rah-rah and would never send my other girls there. I also didn't like that the teen camp ended with a production. Who needs a play on top of all the action? They wasted so much camp time practicing, it caused enormous pressure, and created such resentment when some kids got all the good parts and it really made a sour taste at the end even though DD didn't pick up on that.)

mamaleh

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:33 pm
My DD went to Azamra last summer & is begging to go back. We were very impressed with them. PM me with any questions. Don't have time to write more now.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:03 am
groisamomma wrote:
Chayalle, I wish I had seen this sooner, I would have chimed in earlier. Another vote for Meira!
My girls went there last year (their first real camp experience) and they were thrilled! I was actually quite surprised that when I spoke to the director this week she knew my kids' names. My older one was in Meira Five Stars and what I loved about it was that it was not over-the-top at all. I'm hoping this year at Meira TC's it will also be lower-key than the teen camps out there. (I sent oldest DD to a teen camp last year and it was completely over the top and wild...she was thrilled but I was not happy with all the rah-rah and would never send my other girls there. I also didn't like that the teen camp ended with a production. Who needs a play on top of all the action? They wasted so much camp time practicing, it caused enormous pressure, and created such resentment when some kids got all the good parts and it really made a sour taste at the end even though DD didn't pick up on that.)

It's funny - different kids are different - my teens both went to Camp Meoros a few years ago - and while it was a bit more rah rah than I might need, they really really loved it - they felt that it was very inclusive and warm. Also, they did have a production, but it was done very low pressure - at least when my teens went. The girls basically were in whatever they chose to be in, and the focus was really to have fun. I have a relative whose DD is very shy and has various challenges, and when she went to Meoros, they got her to sing a solo - and the kid was like a million dollars - what that did for her.

It's funny because I remember sitting there one year when one of my nieces went, and the lady sitting next to me was going on and on that it's not professional, and I was like, who needs professional? These kids are having a great time coming together and showing us what they can do in a few days' time. So what if the dance isn't perfectly coordinated? So what if the soloists don't have the most stunning voices on the planet? Is professionalism always the point?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:13 am
Do the daycamps really fill up for 2nd half? I've registered my DD for first half...and I'm still not sure of her 2nd half plans. I'm wondering if I can wait. I wish I could even wait until mid July and then decide.

ETA: I guess that's not fair to the daycamps though.....they have to hire staff and prepare, if everyone did that it would really not work for them.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:57 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Wow, I don't like that at all. I dealt with a lot of girls camps, but never had that.

It was a boys camp.
I spoke to the rebbe to find out what is going on in school, the director had called him, rebbe said he was not impressed with the type of questions asked.

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Do the daycamps really fill up for 2nd half? I've registered my DD for first half...and I'm still not sure of her 2nd half plans. I'm wondering if I can wait. I wish I could even wait until mid July and then decide.

ETA: I guess that's not fair to the daycamps though.....they have to hire staff and prepare, if everyone did that it would really not work for them.

I have quite often gotten my kids in for second half last minute. I know it's risky, but if you have a plan B, then it might work out. I think also that first half fills up more quickly than second half.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 11:41 am
Before u rush to enroll ur kids in daycamp before early bird... Make sure to ask specific safety questions like staff to camper ratio, any married staff members... We had very unsafe conditions last year in one of the up and coming camps. I sent three girls to the camp and had many really not OK situations:( Just one example; girls went on a late night trip on a school bus that was a three hour drive away and when some girls needed the bathroom they pulled over on the side of the road to use the grass as the bathroom!! Mind u it was 1:00 in the morning and in high tall grass in a deserted area!!! When I complained I was told things happen...Not their fault... I beg to differ! U r supposed to go on a pre run before a major trip with a camp and map out the rest areas!! The girls were all crying hysterically on the bus while the director was sleeping thru it!! Totally not responsible!! Make sure u do ur research even if the director sweet talks that every girl gets to shine... It's a bunch of baloney!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 6:39 am
amother wrote:
It was a boys camp.
I spoke to the rebbe to find out what is going on in school, the director had called him, rebbe said he was not impressed with the type of questions asked.

So my teen DD B"H has a job for one half of the summer (same place she worked last year). She usually goes to camp the other half but is reconsidering her plans - part of her feels she has had enough and maybe wants to stay home.

So she decided to apply to another daycamp and maybe work the whole summer (in two different places, to give herself a change). She went to an interview and was so totally turned off from the weird direction of the questions asked, and it really has me fuming.

The director said to her that it's so nice to see such nice girls that go to BK. DD was NOT complimented and tried to say that there are many nice, frum, refined girls in BK. The director spent the whole interview asking her whether BK is a school with rules (yes, duh!) that girls respect. It was obvious that she had little respect for the school, and to display that to a student was completely inappropriate.

She did not ask DD a single question about her work experience with children - which BTW is quite impressive, and DD is a much-loved counselor wherever she has worked.

I always tell my girls, when you go for an interview, YOU are also conducting an interview - to see if this is a place you want to work. Let's just say, we were NOT impressed. Wouldn't send them my kids, either.

candies

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:54 am
Anyone have the contact info for step it up daycamp?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children