Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Kids from large families who are changing the world
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:25 pm
I just saw an article about Rabbi Yonah Avtzon A"H, who passed away last year. He singlehandedly ran a publishing company for the Lubavitcher Rebbe's works in English, dealing with everything from editing to fundraising. And he very generously shared ALL OF IT, full text of all of these books, for free online!

In the article I saw that he was the 8th of 15 children.

It got me thinking about how special each and every child is. We tend to sometimes think of families with many children as not really caring about each kid, just having more for the sake of having more, but it was so meaningful for me to realize that their willingness to raise a huge family is providing immeasurably for so many beyond.

Who else do you know that comes from a large family and is making a tremendous impact?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:08 pm
Every child is a world unto himself, no matter how many siblings he has. Why is it surprising that someone who comes from a large family can make a difference in the world? Every one of us can.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:15 pm
The italian guy on friends is one of 12. Lehavdil. Benjamin Franklin was one of 17

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:17 pm
I think anyone who can handle a very large family is very possibly a strong personality so not surprising they pass on those traits.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:24 pm
The Avtzons were and are very special people.
But let's not forget, that we can all impact the world, even if our name's not out there, and the change doesn't make headlines. (Not that the big stuff isn't awesome.)

perquacky

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:26 pm
ectomorph wrote:
The italian guy on friends is one of 12.

Joey Tribbiani is one of eight—and he's a fictional character!
The actor who played him has only one sibling.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:28 pm
perquacky wrote:
Joey Tribbiani is one of eight—and he's a fictional character!
The actor is played him has only one sibling.

It's not easy to juggle large families in fiction.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 6:29 pm
I was recently at a shiva house talking to child #9 out of 14. She was saying how her father loved her so very much. You spoke to each child there and they each felt the most loved.
This daughter said she always wondered how it’s possible her father could have so much live for her out of many.
But now she has 11 children - and child #9 has so much chein and having so many children doesn’t mean you don’t have enough love for any child less. There is room for so much love and nurturing.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:04 pm
When I was in labor with my eighth child the nurse made it an important step to consult with the doctor when I didn't hear. Her concern was that how can I love so many children, it must be that I'm a neglectful parent. The doctor has seen many women from the community so he knew that her suspicions were not legitimate, so he brought the nurse into my room and asked out loud "how is it possible to divide your attention between so many children? " I instantly answered "you don't divide. You multiply." The doctor then said "you see?" The nurse was understandably not convinced but this is the truth.
1-the more you practice the better you are at it.
2- you don't have 8 at a time. You love one, teach them how to love and so on. By the time you have 4 children, most of the time the oldest is at least 7 years old, at which point they can love along with you. So the latter children get more than the first. The ripple effect is priceless.
This is if there's a healthy relationship. Of course, there are exceptions, but the majority of the time this is what happens. Someone who hasn't lived it will NEVER understand it.

This is anonymous because I've told the story to many people.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It got me thinking about how special each and every child is.

I never thought otherwise.

Not just that each child can have 10. Who can each have 10

One of many reasons I want to have as man y kids as I'm blessed with and have a hrd time understanding why thats even a question

lucite

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:27 pm
The Chofetz Chaim was one of 13

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:34 pm
my great granmother has 11 children and we keep in touch with a family group on fb
we get invited to 2nd cousins wedddings
my grandmother was a poor widow and had 5 kids her son became a famous architect and became a multi millionere he never helped his mother she lived in a small studio apt in boro park and then lived in a nursing home they tricked her into going to a nursing home by telling her she was going to a hotel

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:48 pm
Bassie Shemtov! An amazing and revolutionary woman!! ❤️

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:57 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Bassie Shemtov! An amazing and revolutionary woman!! ❤️

Heyyy I didn't know there were more fans of Bassie hanging out here!
The Greenberg clan has many incredible children but Bassie is special

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:06 pm
I’m from a large family! I can’t say things were always perfect... I love my huge family. My dream is to be able to give my children that kind of experience! A lot of siblings! It is the nicest thing to have built in relationships and so many people to share with

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I’m from a large family! I can’t say things were always perfect... I love my huge family. My dream is to be able to give my children that kind of experience! A lot of siblings! It is the nicest thing to have built in relationships and so many people to share with

Same! I’m #11 (of 14) and would love to have at least 10! (Side point, my mom never drove a huge van, and I cant ever see myself doing that either! But she brought us up in the days before buckles and car seats and a huge station wagon that housed 20+. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:16 pm
Someone else I thought of - Benny Friedman, from a family of 14 kids, right?

I put this thread in inspiration because it really is inspiring to me, and puts the headaches of having many kids close together in perspective.

Knowledgeable

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:24 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

In house where humans live, its not always perfect. Doesn't really matter if there are a lot or little amount of kids..

mig100

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:05 pm
Knowledgeable wrote:
In house where humans live, its not always perfect. Doesn't really matter if there are a lot or little amount of kids..

exactly. thats why I dont understand all the negativity about large families on this site

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:34 am
I personally know 3 of the individuals/families mentioned here so far and it makes me uncomfortable for an ayin hara, let's not start counting other people's families...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational