Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Secret Ingredient Share
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:26 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Now when you use pure vanilla extract. I skip all vanilla sugar or imitation extract and use fragrant pure vanilla extract only.

Vanilla extract can also be too much. Yes, a big problem is that many people use artificial vanilla sugar and don't realize that it's much stronger and flatter than natural vanilla sugar. But too much vanilla extract is also sickening, and vanilla is overrated in general. It doesn't do anything to deserve to be the default flavoring that gets included in all recipes, any more than cinnamon, mint, lemon zest, almond or hazelnut flavoring. Vanilla is not neutral and should not be treated as such.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:22 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Hot paprika in my cholent and on chicken and potatoes. Adds a nice kick.

And in chicken soup.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:36 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
TOASTED sesame oil has a much more intense flavor than regular, and it's a more complex flavor, too. You only need two or three drops to make a huge impact in flavor. If you are trying to reduce oil without sacrificing your Asian recipes, this is the one you want.

Asafoetida https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida is a nasty smelling, bitter tasting ingredient, that makes all Indian food amazing. It brings out the character of all the other spices, and gives everything a "brightness" about it. You only need 1/4 teaspoon for a big pot of curry, but you really can't cook without it. It's just not the same

Asafoetida is also mentioned numerous times in Jewish literature, such as the Mishnah.[15] Maimonides also writes in the Mishneh Torah "In the rainy season, one should eat warm food with much spice, but a limited amount of mustard and asafoetida."[16]

I do not like Asafoetida. I really tried to like it and couldn’t stand it. It is so intense and the smell was very off putting. Does the smell not bother you?

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:49 pm
Italian dressing in cholent...(got that from a caterer...it's next level)

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:03 pm
I put almond milk into broccolli and cauliflower soup. Makes it creamy and delicious

tothepoint

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:12 pm
I cube in 2-3 slices smoked turkey breast into my ground meat mixture when I make patties/burgers/meatloaf (not meatballs though)
Even my picky eaters love it!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen