Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
We never drive far - and now have a 4 hour drive!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:40 pm
We’re last minute going to visit a relative out of state so it’s a far drive! They usually come to us so we haven’t done this trip in years! Any tips and suggestions for us as parents Smile and the kids ages 1,4, and 6. Hoping to do most of the drive when they’re sleeping Thursday night but no guarantee they’ll sleep in the car. Coming back Sunday will be during the daytime. Thanks in advance!!

mfb

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:00 am
DVD player

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:08 am
Activity knapsacks for the 4 and 6 year olds with crayons, small coloring books, finger puppets, stickers, snacks etc. Prepare squares of colored paper and show them how to do origami/paper folding. You can also download or get audio books on CD that you can play during the trip. The 1 yr old might be the biggest challenge...for him/her, go with Benadryl😉...safe travels!

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:15 am
Cookiegirl wrote:
Activity knapsacks for the 4 and 6 year olds with crayons, small coloring books, finger puppets, stickers, snacks etc. Prepare squares of colored paper and show them how to do origami/paper folding. You can also download or get audio books on CD that you can play during the trip. The 1 yr old might be the biggest challenge...for him/her, go with Benadryl😉...safe travels!

Please not benedryl. It has the opposite effect on some kids and they get very hyper. (happened to my 2 year old on a 10 hour flight. I gave cuz my pediatrician recommended)

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:17 am
Cookiegirl wrote:

I hope that's a joke. Medicating a healthy child for convenience? Can't Believe It

The rest of the advice is good, though.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:18 am
Story tapes and snacks. Find a park halfway there to stop and give everyone 20 minutes to run around. Don't forget drinks, a big towel (trust me), baby wipes, and a trash bag.

It usually isn't as bad as I expect... unless we go during the magical hour of about 8-9 pm, where everyone will be crying at the same time until they fall asleep. Just remember that it will pass.

Your kids are pretty young for this, but I like to prepare a little route map with cities we will pass through every half hour of the trip, so that I have an answer for "are we there yet." ("See, we passed Yehupitz just now! Soon we will get to Littletown, and then we will be almost there.")

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:24 am
Every half hour I give out another thing, alternating between activity and food/snack. Otherwise after the first hour they've already gone through all the crayons and arts and crafts, snacks, they're high on sweet drinks and nothing holds their attention anymore for more than 30 seconds.

When a kid asks for something other than water, I tell them how long to wait until the next handout. For a long (10 hour!) trip I bought a new CD and book set which kept the kids spellbound for a few hours. Also an MP3 player with earbuds for one kid, a DVD player for another kid, the third one listening to the CD in the car player.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:53 am
As Saddlebrown suggested, find a park or interesting place to stop along the way so your kids can run around, stretch, and expend some pent-up energy.

Maybe use it as a lunch/snack break as well.

During the drive, bring music they enjoy and play games in the car (I Spy, etc.). The latter may be tricky with kids so young, but maybe you have ideas for different games.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 1:31 am
Honestly 4 hrs isn't so bad.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 6:42 am
What kind of car do you have? If it's a sedan, put the one year old in the middle, as a buffer between the other kids and so they can take turns helping with him/her and you can reach easier. If it's a minivan, you sit in the back with them (or dh, if you drive.) Everyone gets their own space, and you can reach them all.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 6:48 am
I suggest dvds for the trip and if you can leave at night so they will sleep. We used to drive from Lakewood to Chicago when my kids were 1 & 3 and it wasn’t easy at. Expect to stop. 4 hours isn’t so bad and sometimes just being in the car, made them drowsy enough to nap.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Honestly 4 hrs isn't so bad.

No, but the first time? I feel her pain ;-D
4 hours means you'll likely have to stop once, at least.
My kids remember our car rides fairly fondly. New story tapes, tapes from the library, library books, toys, and Fruit Roll Ups every hour on the hour, or maybe it just felt that way. Treat foods also included pickles, olives, baby corn, so it wasn't all sugar.

If you need a dvd player, no jury will convict you. Personally I'm glad we managed with out it (for longer drives) and I would suggest trying to avoid it, but I'm not you so do what you got to do.

Have a safe trip!

srbmom

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:06 am
Definetely bring along some children's dramamine.
Two of my kids are car sick which we didn't know about until we made such a long drive
(And it may help to make them sleepy)

sky

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:07 am
We do trips like that round trip in one day regularly.

Personally I wouldn’t stop at all - if you can. Or drive for as long as possible first leg of the trip. Limit drinks before and during trip. I give 4 oz water bottles. And only after we’ve been on the road awhile. Don’t bring up bathrooms.
I always find if we stop it breaks the momentum.

I also like having a snack schedule - your kids are pretty young to need it. Everyone likes to eat in the car so bring lots of snacks. Roll of paper towels.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:21 am
Cookiegirl wrote:

Benadryl for a 4 hour ride??? Seriously???? 4 hours really isn't long. Turn on dvd's, & good cd's, bring snack and nosh, and some coloring books. Leave about an hour before their bed time, if you leave right at bedtime or after bedtime, they probably won't fall asleep easily. And don't expect the kids to sit nicely throughout the trip. Have them take their blanket in the car.

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:38 am
We are a family who loves road trips, and re probably do a four hour drive 3-4 times a year. This past summer we drove to Toronto, about 12 hours.

For us, the drive is part of the trip. We love finding quirky places to stop along the way. We play road games like roadside bingo and seeing who can spot the most licence plates, sing, listen to books on CD. My boys have very fond memories of our trips and at this point are old enough to help plan for them.

I'm really glad we avoided a DVD player in the car from the get go. I understand why people use it, but for me it would defeat the who purpose of the trip.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:46 am
For your 6 year old I would get 1-2 cds. New cds are always great entertainment and you have it after.

We also avoid dvds.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:48 am
I just flew four hours with three kids. 8,7,3. The three year old loved the play dough I got him and it kept him busy for HOURS. The other kids listened to music on their MP3 players and watched on a DVD player. I went to Dollar tree with them and stocked up on stuff to do. Coloring books, crayons, markers, color pencils, etc. Also books they like to read and some other small toys.

Four hours is not so long

rising hero

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:59 am
We've done long trips from 3 up to 12 hours. We take along fuzzy blankets to make them cozy when they nap. We bring snacks and sandwiches. Put on music and sing along. Point out interesting things along the way. Trucks buildings airplanes animals water whatever interests them. Play games like "who can spot"..."how many do you see"...

Good luck have a safe trip and enjoy!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:00 am
We do 4 hr trips all the time without doping the kids. I wouldn't even think so. The things you find out on imamother.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics