Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Best chocolate chip cookies
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:06 pm
Plonis wrote:
So which cookies are best made with pareve butter? (I just got some of the Country Crock to try out.)

The browned butter ones look fantastic but I doubt that margarine would be a good substitute!

You are correct as the flavor of browned butter comes from the milk solids "browning".

Margarine has no milk solids so all it does is melt Very Happy

aimhabanim

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:55 pm
Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm still trying to duplicate the cookies of my childhood that my grandmother made. I think they just don't make em like they used to Sad

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:59 pm
aimhabanim wrote:
Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm still trying to duplicate the cookies of my childhood that my grandmother made. I think they just don't make em like they used to Sad

I am almost certain your Bubbe used the Toll House Cookie recipe from the Nestle's chocolate chip package. That is the recipe that everyone made back in the day. Toll House Cookies aka Chocolate Chip Cookies are a relatively recent invention - chocolate chips are a relatively recent invention. They were not baked in the shtels. Very Happy Very Happy

The chocolate chip cookie was invented by American chefs Ruth Graves Wakefield and Sue Brides in 1938. She invented the recipe during the period when she owned the Toll House Inn, in Whitman, Massachusetts. In this era, the Toll House Inn was a popular restaurant that featured home cooking. She sold the recipe to Nestles in exchange for a lifetime supply of chocolate

https://www.todayifoundout.com.....okie/

Toll House Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

* May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.

FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (5,200 feet): Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 teaspoons water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 3:17 pm
I found a Hershey recipe that everyone loves. It is the same as the toll house one except for one change which makes such a difference: instead of 3/4c each of brown & white sugar, you cream the butter/marg with 3/4c brown & 1/2c white then add 1/4c light Karo syrup with the eggs. (I always skip the nuts in cc cookies, we just don’t like them). They are chewy inside and just so yummmm! (I’ve also replaced 1/4 c of flour with cocoa & added peanut butter chips.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins