Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Health of other kids s/o of baby threads

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:28 am
I understand that you can hire a cleaning lady, order in food but what about appointments for your other children? Many kids these days have issues that really need to be addressed requiring many doctor and therapy appointments. How does that work? I have a friend with a large family who's on top of it. I'm in awe of her. She was a SAHM for many years and incredibly dedicated so I think its possible but I think its for yechidim, not everyone.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:46 am
There is a business for that too. I know some people who their job is to walk kids to their therapists appts, they wait there till the child finished the OT/PT session whatever & then walk them back home.
I also know someone who gets paid from insurance to help a special needs girl get ready in morn & take her to her bus.
There are chesed girls who do that or volunteers if family is associated to certain orginizations.
Sometimes an older sister takes younger sisters to appts, you see those at dr's office.
I know someone who rotates with another person. Every time one takes both kids.
There are even women volunteers that are sent from organizations to take sick children to their chemo appts if mothers can't attend.

Last edited by dankbar on Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:00 am
I guess I mean outside of ny where you have to drive everywhere. it would get expensive to pay for someone to take my daughter to get x-rays every morning for a week at the hospital 15 minutes away as an example of something we needed to do. My daughter isn't "special needs" she just has a diagnosis currently.

small bean

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:09 am
There are services though that would do it for you.

If you have money you can pay for anything. For those that dont have money, they need to utilize family or chesed programs to help them with these things.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:13 am
But remember: there’s nothing like a mom taking a child to that therapy appointment. If you can’t do it each time make sure to do it sporadically. Your child will receive a much higher level of care if the therapist sees you’re involved. It will also give you the opportunity to check in with the therapist about progress and homework and carry over for the house

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:25 am
In NY there are organizations that send volunteers with pediatric patients to hospital & they go with a free chesed car

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:31 am
There are also some Medicaid or other medical services who pay for transportation to get to the doctor's appts. People sign up with local car services or some places have their own van, these are not such big issues because there are services or volunteers for these things.....
I think buying takeout for a dozen kids is much more of an issue because it's mighty expensive for a large family, so if mom can't cook one day, takeout is usually not an option

Last edited by dankbar on Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:32 am
2 options: during school hours when the rest of the kids are in school or in evening when spouse is home. That's how I do it but it's hard and I prioritize. Some therapies are necessary and some just "beneficial" and some exercises can be done at home. Psychotherapy can't obviously but some sensory integration or handwriting help can.
I group together dentist appointments and well visits as much as possible and frequently do those on school off days as an "activity". Eye Dr visits are only once a year and not for everyone so that's not a big deal to me...

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:36 am
I saw a mom who has a large family bring 4-5 kids together at once to the dentist for work, plus her own work, plus she was holding & calming a crying newborn baby in hands.
When she needed more help her big dgtr came over to help her

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:43 am
Many therapists come to home or go to school & they receive their services there. like OT/PT/Seit/Title one/p3 etc

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:46 am
yeah. I hear. my pediatrician won't see more then two kids at a time with one parent...
I can't imagine sending my kid to the hospital with a stranger...

but basically what you are saying dankbar is that in NY where it is common there is a system set up for it. I might not feel so comfortable with it personally but I can see how it can work.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:06 pm
Many people with large families live near extended family that helps out.

I do not have extended family but I do have a sibling who is expert in the field. So I get advice which cuts down on the amount of therapy we need.

Like paying tuition, every family handles it in a way that works for them. I sometimes carpool for a friend and in exchange she'll do me a different favor.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:21 pm
why is everyone so hung up on how people manage with so many kids? if the ones that have the large families are complaining, they need to take care of the issue (speak to their LOR to stop) But as outsiders, what do you really know? and why do you really care?
I know plenty of families that are large and the kids are fine.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:10 pm
dankbar wrote:
There is a business for that too. I know some people who their job is to walk kids to their therapists appts, they wait there till the child finished the OT/PT session whatever & then walk them back home.
I also know someone who gets paid from insurance to help a special needs girl get ready in morn & take her to her bus.
There are chesed girls who do that or volunteers if family is associated to certain orginizations.
Sometimes an older sister takes younger sisters to appts, you see those at dr's office.
I know someone who rotates with another person. Every time one takes both kids.
There are even women volunteers that are sent from organizations to take sick children to their chemo appts if mothers can't attend.

I don't get this. OT, PT, ST - you gain so much by watching how they help your child and the feedback you get after each session. There is sometimes homework, how can you ask someone who is just walking the child back to understand it and remember it and ask necessary questions, and then expect to do it properly?
Dentist appointments, so often there is a need for a procedure which requires parental consent. Same for doctors.

I don't have answers (don't yet have more kids than I have fingers on one hand) but I do think this is something that can't be passed over to someone other than a parent.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
why is everyone so hung up on how people manage with so many kids? if the ones that have the large families are complaining, they need to take care of the issue (speak to their LOR to stop) But as outsiders, what do you really know? and why do you really care?
I know plenty of families that are large and the kids are fine.

It's like looking at an exotic exhibit in a zoo, so you're naturally curious.
Except you're a tad resentful because you feel pressured to BE that exotic exhibit and either failed in the attempt or made a conscious choice not to be that exhibit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics