Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Most awkward things people said to you
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:09 pm
Ugh. I can’t get it out of my head.
I was once at a chasuna
And I was enjoying a plate of pasta and sesame chicken and a bit of fruit sitting alone at a table when a woman and her teenage daughter sat next to me.
This was the food before the chuppah. The woman introduced herself and her daughter, asked me where I’m from etc etc and once she got that out the way and I continued eating (I was quite hungry) she says, in a I’m better than you tone,
“I’m teaching my daughter how to eat HEALTHILY.”

Uhm??????!!!!

I blush really really red.

But it doesn’t stop there!
She proceeded to say how she gives her daughter salads and other healthy stuff and wouldn’t let her eat so much carbs and starches while staring occasionally at my half eaten plate.

At that point I look at the daughter and I notice how incredibly skinny she was compared to me.

I’m by no meats fat, but I have a nice curvy shape. But back then I was then just a few weeks married. Let’s say I gained 27 pounds during my pregnancy and lost it post baby. Of course I’d have a slightly flabby belly! But back then, I was not pregnant. I had the same body shape minus the slightly flabby belly.

I nod politely and I couldn’t eat anything anymore.

I came home hungry, and cried to my husband.

I know she had good intentions, but just because I have a little extra shape on my hips and chest doesn’t mean that I’m making unhealthy choices or that I’m unhealthy or overweight.

This is why I have body issues now.
And the constant fat shaming and fat loss ads in frum magazines don’t help either.

Thank you woman for making me view my body despite its beauty as “unhealthy”!

#bringbackthecurves

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:17 pm
That's not an "awkward" thing, it's a backhanded, mean thing. And the "teaching the daughter" part is disturbing, because all studies show that making such comments to a child increases her risk of eating disorders and obesity.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:22 pm
It is not awkward or mean. It is socially off. I'm sure her daughter was super embarrassed of her mom.
That women has issues.
I would have snobbed the women out like she is the biggest weirdo. Like even if you were skinny as a pin, why would anyone walk over to a complete stranger and say, "I'm teaching my daughter how to eat healthy".

chay

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:30 pm
When my daughter and son were very young, they are 19 months apart, I was out shopping. A women pointed at my son and said "your baby is so cute, this one not that one."

Speechless moment there
They are both gorgeous tyvm!

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was once at a chasuna
And I was enjoying a plate of pasta and sesame chicken and a bit of fruit sitting alone at a table when a woman and her teenage daughter sat next to me.
This was the food before the chuppah. The woman introduced herself and her daughter, asked me where I’m from etc etc and once she got that out the way and I continued eating (I was quite hungry) she says, in a I’m better than you tone,

Uhm??????!!!!

She proceeded to say how she gives her daughter salads and other healthy stuff and wouldn’t let her eat so much carbs and starches while staring occasionally at my half eaten plate.

At that point I look at the daughter and I notice how incredibly skinny she was compared to me.

I’m by no meats fat, but I have a nice curvy shape. But back then I was then just a few weeks married. Let’s say I gained 27 pounds during my pregnancy and lost it post baby. Of course I’d have a slightly flabby belly! But back then, I was not pregnant. I had the same body shape minus the slightly flabby belly.

I know she had good intentions, but just because I have a little extra shape on my hips and chest doesn’t mean that I’m making unhealthy choices or that I’m unhealthy or overweight.

And the constant fat shaming and fat loss ads in frum magazines don’t help either.

#bringbackthecurves

That poooor daughter. Imagine? It's not enough that mom does this to you at home? But even out in public in front of strangers... I can only imagine what kind of teaching this mother was doing...

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:27 pm
I filled up a plate of food at a wedding and my sister in law sircastcly asked
Did you eat today ?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:28 pm
I got engaged to my husband and he told his mother we were getting married she asked if I was pregnant ?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:30 pm
Several times people asked me if I was pregnant and how was I feeling the
When I said I wasn’t they made excuses saying oh it’s the cost you are wearing etc I’m 57 and still get asked this for the past twenty years

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:31 pm
Someone new that I met asked me if I was a grandma ?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:25 pm
My mother in law asked me when I am due. I wasn't pregnant and I was actually just after a mis.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was once at a chasuna

Uhm??????!!!!

#bringbackthecurves

I would’ve told her she was free to find another table.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:28 pm
chay wrote:
When my daughter and son were very young, they are 19 months apart, I was out shopping. A women pointed at my son and said "your baby is so cute, this one not that one."

Speechless moment there
They are both gorgeous tyvm!

That’s nuts!

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:32 pm
Someone I had very little to do with said to me "I know your son was molested."
It happened to be true. But it was none of her business and she had no agenda for follow up (like me too, or my kid too, or I have such a fear of this...), her whole point was to tell me she knew my secret. Very uncomfortable.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:36 pm
When my mom passed away (young) my "friend" told me that now it's gonna be easier for me now that I don't have to take care of her....

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:44 pm
I mentioned in conversation that it's hard to diet and hard to lose weight. Well, the person had a quick response, no diet works when on birth control. ... um, how about sif?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:08 pm
Ouch. This thread needs a hug button.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:12 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Ouch. This thread needs a hug button.

Exactly what I was just thinking

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:24 pm
A while back I was going through a very hard time. I was talking to someone and decided to open up to her to share my burden. I told her that my mom is very sick and my husband was diagnosed with a condition. I was having some family issues.

Her 1st response:that’s galus

2nd response: throw out your computer, it brings dirt into your home.

Thanks and good bye ex friend

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:33 pm
I was an older single. When I finally got engaged in my 30s, someone at the vort said I’m looking more and more like my mother. Then she went on the explain that “I guess your mom Is looking younger and you’re looking older so you’re meeting in the middle”. Something like that. Ouch. At least my mother got a compliment out of it.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:54 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Someone I had very little to do with said to me "I know your son was molested."
It happened to be true. But it was none of her business and she had no agenda for follow up (like me too, or my kid too, or I have such a fear of this...), her whole point was to tell me she knew my secret. Very uncomfortable.

I’m so sorry.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics