Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Tallis bag

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:13 pm
I want to get a Tallis bag for my father. What is "in style"? I looked online and there are different designs and I have no idea what is normal or not (all black velvet, just not sure of the design to get on it). I have no idea what his looks like right now. Can someone link me to a picture of what kind of designs are usual?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:20 pm
I just got a black fur one for my father in law, with his name in script silver lettering on the left bottom.
Husband has a black leather with name in original hebrew letters (think like siddur letters) also silver.

For weekday husband has a brown very leathery looking leather that says Talit in Hebrew in middle and his name inscribed in the leather like indented.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 4:15 pm
We just got our father one - a traditional velvet bag - because that is his style. He wouldn’t have liked the new fabrics.

Leather and suede are very in. You just have to know if it’s a style he would like. (There is also a $200 price difference between real leather and velvet )

Eta - you can look here for ideas of velvet bags:
http://keterjudaica.com/Velvet-Talis-Bags/

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 4:50 pm
Rather than go for what’s “in style,” go for something you know your dad would like. I don’t know many straight men who would go for a fur Tallis zeckel, but if you know your dad would, great.

Would he still appreciate it in the dog days of summer? Bad enough the Tallis is wool, but the thought of carrying it around in a fur pouch on a hot sweaty day in summer...ugh.

JMHO of course. YMMV.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:22 pm
zaq wrote:
Rather than go for what’s “in style,” go for something you know your dad would like. I don’t know many straight men who would go for a fur Tallis zeckel, but if you know your dad would, great.

Would he still appreciate it in the dog days of summer? Bad enough the Tallis is wool, but the thought of carrying it around in a fur pouch on a hot sweaty day in summer...ugh.

JMHO of course. YMMV.

What about the streimals. They are worn in the summer. Does the fur match the streimal?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:38 pm
Go classic velvet. It’s clsssic for a reason

I saw the most heinous Tallis bag this week. It was black and white horse hair (I think?) long hair that resembled muppet fur, with large rhinestones. It was so feminine and tacky that I felt bad that the man was using it. If that’s what in, run the other way

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 5:54 pm
Sorry, I realize I should clarify.
He definitely would want one of the black velvet ones.
I actually looked at the keter website to pick one out. I just don't know which design to get. Or if it even really matters. Like do men care so much what the design is? Like the crown one or the tree one or any of them- I don't want to get it and it to be like oh noooo one has the one with a tree on it. Does that make sense?
Also is there much difference between the $20 ones and the $100 ones? Is it a size difference or a quality difference?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics