Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Where do people with disabilities after parents pass away?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 4:48 am
Who takes care of them? Are their special homes for them? Who pays for these homes if the parents left behind no money? Are they well taken care of?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:25 am
Theres a wide range of potential disabilities and life circumstances, but often adult siblings step in.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:31 am
Double post deleted.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:36 am
You can contact an agency like Ohel for details and advice. Every situation is different. Some people want to be near family, others far. Some are more independent and competent and flexible, and others have severe needs that limit their choices. Some people can afford more expensive options and some can't.

Disability is very individual.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:48 am
If incompetent, the parents choose a guardian. If parents don't designate a guardian, a relative could petition the court to be appointed guardian. If no guardian, then the state state has custody.

In either case, the disabled person will usually live in a group home. But if the state has custody, the patient might not be placed in a kosher facility. As ectomorph said, contact Ohel for advice.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:34 am
My husband and I are his sister's guardians. She is severely developmentally disabled. She lives in her home with aides 24/7. She doesn't own her home and Medicaid and SSI pay for most of her expenses.

Most people either live with family or in a group home. If the person has Medicaid and no assets, then Medicaid pays.

There is a huge learning curve for guardians - get them involved early on. We're still learning the ropes five years in. In the last few months we learned about resources and other things which could have saved us a fortune. The new guardians should surround themselves with veterans in the disabled community. An excellent Care Manager (MSC) and anyone else you work with is very important.

Setting up guardianship in advance is really important - you don't want them becoming a ward of the state ch"v.

If the person lives in NY, keep them there - benefits and services are much better than other states.

Get lots of advice!

Two things are critical:

The person should have no assets in their name - grandparents should not put them in their wills, etc. They can give to the SNT - see below. It's extremely important that the parents have a will or trust to make sure that nothing goes to the individual themselves.

There must be a supplemental needs trust.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:37 am
My neighbor who is in her 60s takes care of her disables brother. He lives with her

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:49 am
#BestBubby wrote:
If incompetent, the parents choose a guardian. If parents don't designate a guardian, a relative could petition the court to be appointed guardian. If no guardian, then the state state has custody.

In either case, the disabled person will usually live in a group home. But if the state has custody, the patient might not be placed in a kosher facility. As ectomorph said, contact Ohel for advice.

This is so important. They need to choose a legal guardian for after they pass or the state will get custody and noone can garantee that the individual will not be mistreated or neglected in a state run facility. Please call ohel, hasc, hamaspic, otzar, human care to help guide you about how to choose a legal guardian.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:35 am
Call Ohel. They actually are having a call in night for questions soon. 7188516300

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:41 am
I've heard that people get a special kind of life insurance for their special needs child

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:45 am

Even though this is advertising the December meeting
They have them every month or so
So call call 718.851.6300 for info

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:03 am
Does anyone have advice relevant for Israel? I'm in the same situation.

singleagain

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

Contact Shalva

https://www.shalva.org/

ROFL

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:13 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

https://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahp.....know/

Nefesh b nefesh website has good resource.

baby12x

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I've heard that people get a special kind of life insurance for their special needs child

I just read somewhere that this is a bad idea because a large settlement can disqualify the recipient from medicare or ssi.
Its EXTREMELY important to discuss ANY monetary issues with a lawyer who is well versed in disability.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

In this case please make sure the beneficiary is the special needs trust and not the individual.

Contact a place like Ohel for a recommendation of an attorney who is experienced in special needs trust and your trust and will. I think you may need a trust in your case. Also, don't forget to put your assets in your trust. My mil set up an SNT originally but was misinformed and told that Medicaid had to be paid back for what they had spent on my sil before any money can go into the trust - this is completely wrong! The trust was set up to do exactly that. B"H I asked Ronald Spirn in Cedarhurst to check it. I highly recommend him.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:45 pm
Sounds like you are a new parent of a SN child or a sibling of one, with aging parents. We are going through exactly this situation for my husband's SN sisters, whom we are now legal guardians of after my IL's unexpected passing. Please make sure you get appropriate guidance so it's done correctly to support both the disabled person as well as the caretakers. Most importantly, this all takes a lot of time and focus in order to reach a workable goal, and government bureaucracies are difficult and slow moving. Start working on this now!!! The advice from other ima's above is spot on-reach out to an organization that works for you. In NY we have worked with Hamaspik and Women's League/Makor and have been happy with both. Each one is a little different in its style, but ultimately they all work with OPWDD to help you find and maintain care for your family member. Get a lawyer who is familiar with the laws pertaining to special needs care. The SN individual should not have any personal income above a certain amount to qualify for care, and you will need guidance as to how to accomplish this legally. They will have issues if they are currently beneficiaries of a will or currently have savings. Establishing some kind of trust is crucial. For us, specifically having a special needs trust is not in our best interest, but for others it might be the best case scenario. This is a very individualized thing, as each SN person and their families have different financial situations, health situations, etc. You need to do what's best for you and your situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics