Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Appropriate bedtime for 11 year old boy?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:40 pm
what do you think? trying to check whether Im being too strict

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:41 pm
9:15 in my house for 11 yr old boy

lfab

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:45 pm
Depends what time he needs to be up in the morning. My DD is that age and we have her go to bed at 8:30 on school nights. But she needs to be up by 6:15 in the morning.

crystal

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:49 pm
9-930 latest

Gerbera

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 11:23 pm
lfab wrote:
Depends what time he needs to be up in the morning. My DD is that age and we have her go to bed at 8:30 on school nights. But she needs to be up by 6:15 in the morning.

Exact same in my house for my daughter that age. She's up at 6:45 for a 7:30 bus.

mha3484

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 11:33 pm
My city has a popular learning program at night for middle school boys. It ends at 8/8:15 so I would think 9 seems normal for bedtime.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 2:09 am
Kids this age need 10-11, so I made sure my son sleeps 10.5 hours. He always complained that he goes to sleep earlier than the whole class. He had a very stressful childhood so I felt he should at least get his sleep.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:42 am
My kids need to wake up at 6:30 so at that age they go to bed 8:30-9:00.

salt

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:51 am
My 11 yr old is in bed by 9:30pm (ideally). Needs to wake up by~7/7:10am.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:47 am
Ok, seems like Im on target, on the later side, actually but DS still thinks he goes to sleep the earliest in his class Rolling Eyes

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:59 am
Depends on community and country.
My kids went to bed at 9:30 or 10 at that age. Got up around 7:15.

Most of their friends went to bed around the same time (I know because they would hang out at our place till late).

Also depends if the kid is the youngest or oldest in the family. It's hard to shoo an 11 yr old to bed at 8:30 when all his teen siblings are still hanging out with all their friends in the kitchen. Much easier when he is the oldest and the house is dark and quiet at that hour.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:03 am
9:30. But more often 10.
He does make the bus himself every morning at 7:15. So I think he’s getting enough.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:08 am
[quote="amother [ Azure ]"

Also depends if the kid is the youngest or oldest in the family. It's hard to shoo an 11 yr old to bed at 8:30 when all his teen siblings are still hanging out with all their friends in the kitchen. Much easier when he is the oldest and the house is dark and quiet at that hour.[/quote]

This!!
My 10 year old suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out) and will never go to bed until his older brother of 14 is in bed. He can be literally falling asleep standing but he will not budge. I have tried so many different ways to get him to bed, nothing works. Even if he's in his room he won't actually be in bed so I gave him one rule: I wake him once and once only (he ignores his alarm clock) and he must make his bus in the morning or else find himself a ride. We don't live within walking distance to cheder so he knows I'm serious. It happened once before and he was not happy about it but he learned his lesson.

When the two older kids were younger, by 9pm everyone was sleeping.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My kids need to wake up at 6:30 so at that age they go to bed 8:30-9:00.

I'm curious why this earned me a hug?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, seems like Im on target, on the later side, actually but DS still thinks he goes to sleep the earliest in his class Rolling Eyes

My dd goes to bed at 9:30 and was complaining that other gals go to bed at 11. Then she found out that they wake up at 7:30am while she wakes up at 6:00am. And she realized that she needs her sleep as much as they do, she's just doing it on a different schedule.
When she went to camp last year, that was when it hit her that she appreciates sleep. She was the wuss who fell asleep at 11:30am. The other girls would stay up and talk until 2:00am. She finally realized that they were the ones missing out, not her. She sent herself to the infirmary the 3rd week of camp because she was sick with exhaustion. She stayed in bed for a day before she was able to bounce back. The healthy sleep habits at home have paid off.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:22 pm
I was just wondering this exact thing... My 11 yo goes to bed at 9:30 (usually) but can read till 9:45, and is usually still awake at 10. BUT he struggles to get out of bed with his alarm clock at 7:40am! His bedtime was not initially set on purpose to be this late, honestly. It kinda happened over the original lockdown last year. But there was no rush in the morning then...
I'm struggling with the idea he has a too late bedtime for him plus the impossibility of changing to earlier now. He always says other kids go to bed later, and that doesn't bother me per se cuz I don't care really what other kids do, except if this is natural as he gets older. I wasn't sure...

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:39 am
Omg, my 11 year old son has to be in bed at ten ( and usually sneak-reads for a little). I really wanted earlier, but he has a few friends who are youngests that go to sleep really late, so 10 was our compromise Wink . He wakes up at 6:30 every morning bh bh, with his alarm clock. I really wish he'd go to sleep earlier, but not gonna happen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children