Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Paid Family Leave - self employed

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 11:01 am
Hi, has anyone gotten Paid Family Leave insurance on their own? I'm self-employed and it looks like I can get a policy for myself.

https://paidfamilyleave.ny.gov.....duals

https://www.dfs.ny.gov/apps_an.....riers

Has anyone done it? If so, did you go through a broker or deal with a company directly? About how much did it cost?

thanks!

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 12:33 pm
Call a company and find out cost. IME, insurance premiums for individuals are generally based on individual factors such as location and age.

Keep in mind that you must have the policy for two years before you can collect any benefits. You also must purchase disability insurance and not just family leave insurance.

Disability insurance is probably a more important insurance for most working people than life insurance of family leave. It is much more likely that one will be unable to work for a period of time versus dying so income replacement during a temporary or permanent disability is more critical.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 12:36 pm
thanks. Any recommendations as to which company is best? Or will they all be pretty much the same?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 6:37 pm
Bump

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:26 pm
The company I work for has private disability insurance that covers maternity leave. I think I understood their costs were cheaper then making the tax in nj somehow.
We are covered through guardian and they were pretty easy to deal with.
We didn’t have a wait period from when they switched to private coverage but that maybe because it was company coverage.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:19 am
Thanks, I’ll look into them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries