Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What food to pack? Long flight with kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 4:53 am
This is not the first time we will be traveling on a long flight with kids but I seem to remember last time I packed all the wrong things.
Looking for ideas of what food and nosh you packed for a long flight with kids ages 6 and under. And how did you package it? For example, bags of nosh are full of air and take up a ton of space but if you pack it individually it turns in to crumbs very quickly...
Thanks!

busy mommy

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 6:58 am
Snacks: I buy big bags of everything and each snack time I choose one and divide it into small sandwich bags for each kid.
I bring pretzels, Bamba, rice cakes, sandwich cookies (trader Joe's which come in a box), snackers etc
Food: I make bagels, deli sandwiches, regular sandwiches, yogurts (if you can get past security), peanut butter (my kids eat it by the spoonful) etc. Each is packed in individual sandwich bags and all same type food (bagels) in a big zip loc so I can pull out bagels

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:57 am
Assume they will say nothing of the airline food (if you're even getting any). So I try to make sure everyone has a really good solid meal before going to the airport. Chicken, meatballs, etc. I also usually pack plain pasta, since that lasts for some time. As far as snack type of foods, nothing overly sugary and nothing that gets really crumby, sticky or otherwise especially messy. I like pretzels, veggie straws, soft granola bars, cheese sticks (don't really need refrigeration), jerky, almonds, flavored rice cakes, tuna packets to be eaten in the airport if theres a stopover- not on the plane. I buy individual cereal cups for the end of the flight when people are waking up and they're preparing for landing (or I give them to the kids once we land).

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:16 am
My kids think airplane food is fun. All those little containers to unwrap, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I find that if we are getting a meal on the plane, I don't need to take tons of nosh. Kids don't need to eat constantly.

In case of emergencies, we find it useful to have some nuts and dried fruit on hand. Cashews and raisins, dried apricots, almonds, shelled pistachios, banana chips.

If our flight doesn't have kosher food, then I make sure we eat beforehand, usually in the airport (leaving from Ben-Gurion, it's pretty easy to find food).

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:20 am
DrMom wrote:
My kids think airplane food is fun. All those little containers to unwrap, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I find that if we are getting a meal on the plane, I don't need to take tons of nosh. Kids don't need to eat constantly.

In case of emergencies, we find it useful to have some nuts and dried fruit on hand. Cashews and raisins, dried apricots, almonds, shelled pistachios, banana chips.

If our flight doesn't have kosher food, then I make sure we eat beforehand, usually in the airport (leaving from Ben-Gurion, it's pretty easy to find food).

Even if your kids usually enjoy airplane food (which mine absolutely don't), I would not travel with kids without taking a substantial amount of food since there are too often snafus with the kosher food.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:22 am
You can bring cut up fruits and vegetables, but if you are flying internationally remember that you have to leave all leftovers in the airplane garbage before you deplane. Same thing with opened deli packets, I think. Check the current regulations. If you are flying domestic I don't think there are any restrictions unless there is a plant virus or pest outbreak. (Anyone remember the medfly apple quarantine?)

Tangerines, clementines, bananas, small cucumbers, baby carrots, bell pepper strips, celery sticks, are all good airplane food.

Bring sanitizing wipes for the arm rests and trays and wipe everything down before you let your kids sit. It will help reduce the chance of them catching a cold or flu.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:29 am
And of course no yogurt or any liquid over 3 oz.

Tovahs

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:33 am
Individual compote pouches

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:37 am
Tovahs wrote:
Individual compote pouches

I'd check with the airlines or TSA.

Rappel

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:58 am
Granola and snack bars! Apples! Their favourite cereal in no-spill cups. A no spill water bottle for every kid and adult.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:25 am
I bought a jewelry organizer case (a compartment with a lid) in the dollar store and filled it with snacks it was the besst thing ever. Saw it on pinterest. Nothing crazy, let's say there were 20 compartments, a few snacks were repeated

Nuts
Dried fruit
Pretzels
A string cheese cut up
Grapes
Apple slices
Raisins
Etc

And during our trip I just refilled it for all the car rides. It's literally a few that fits in each compartment so it's not like it's tons of food it's just the presentation that made it so fun.

Edit found a pic on Google but terrible unhealthy suggestions in it lol

https://I.pinimg.com/originals.....5.jpg

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:33 am
When we fly international with kids we take along frozen yogurt and leben pouches. We never had a problem taking them through security as long as it’s frozen. We also take the really small 8 oz water bottles, fill them up with milk and freeze. As long as it’s solid frozen at security never either had a problem with that. Once it’s defrosted we had milk milk for coffee, hot chocolate and cereal

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:49 am
Pack filling and compact food

Frozen filling sandwiches
Individual packets of pretzels (use a pin to squeeze out some of the air) or whatever crackers they love
Kind bars or granola bars
Dried natural fruit leather
Beef jerky sticks
Cubes of smoked turkey in a Ziploc
String cheese sticks
Peeled hard-boiled eggs in a container so they don't get squashed
Lollypops or twizzlers

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:03 pm
I wouldn't take bamba, or any nut products really. It's quite common to have allergic people flying and you'd be asked not to eat them in public. I'm very sensitive to allergies since watching what happened to someone on a plane. You wouldn't want to be responsible for someone's sickness or death. There are plenty of alternatives.

We're also travelling with 4 young kids (12 and under) I'm struggling to come up with lunch and supper ideas. I guess sandwiches for one. Maybe cold schnitzel for another 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️ hatzlocho op

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:11 pm
Great ideas. Thank you.
Happy to hear more ideas.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I wouldn't take bamba, or any nut products really. It's quite common to have allergic people flying and you'd be asked not to eat them in public. I'm very sensitive to allergies since watching what happened to someone on a plane. You wouldn't want to be responsible for someone's sickness or death. There are plenty of alternatives.

We're also travelling with 4 young kids (12 and under) I'm struggling to come up with lunch and supper ideas. I guess sandwiches for one. Maybe cold schnitzel for another 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️ hatzlocho op

Someone with airborne allergies should not fly on a commercial airplane because there's a huge risk of someone else on the plane eating what they're allergic to. I don't limit what I take on the plane based on that. Airlines still regularly give out nuts on flights.

(I have allergic kids myself, and I recognize what precautions I need to take to protect them. It's impossible to protect other people though, unless they're in my home or I'm made aware of their allergies. There are so many things a person can be severely allergic to, not only nuts. )

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 1:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Pack filling and compact food

Frozen filling sandwiches
Individual packets of pretzels (use a pin to squeeze out some of the air) or whatever crackers they love
Kind bars or granola bars
Dried natural fruit leather
Beef jerky sticks
Cubes of smoked turkey in a Ziploc
String cheese sticks
Peeled hard-boiled eggs in a container so they don't get squashed
Lollypops or twizzlers

Leave them unpeeled will last longer. And put right back in the egg carton

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Someone with airborne allergies should not fly on a commercial airplane because there's a huge risk of someone else on the plane eating what they're allergic to. I don't limit what I take on the plane based on that. Airlines still regularly give out nuts on flights.

(I have allergic kids myself, and I recognize what precautions I need to take to protect them. It's impossible to protect other people though, unless they're in my home or I'm made aware of their allergies. There are so many things a person can be severely allergic to, not only nuts. )

True but peanut is a more popular allergy. We were once asked not to eat any peanut products on the plane as there was someone travelling who was allergic. I'm not sure how severe his/her allergy was but we obviously all listened. We actually had a baby with us, and bamba! Bh other food too. Just know not to rely on it...

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Eta: and obviously on this flight they didnt sell the packaged nuts they had other snacks.

Stars

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:04 pm
Can a person with airborne allergies also never take public transportation? I'm never comfortable feeding my kid bamba or a pb sandwich on the bus or train but I see others doing it all the time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics