Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Lazy pee? TMI

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:35 pm
DS 3.5 has been fully toilet trained since last Pesach.

In the past few days, he's wet himself a lot, and I attributed it to him getting caught up in whatever game he was playing until it was too late, or else just experimenting (he's always very excited to tell me that he needs to pee/just peed.)

He definitely has the ability to hold it in. After telling us today in the park that he needed to go, he walked for minutes with DH until he finally went.

Just now, though, DH and I were cleaning up, when we heard a faucet from his room. Turns out DS had sat up in bed, and was peeing on the floor. When DH asked him why he didn't go to the bathroom, he said "don't wanna," and flopped back over to sleep.

I'm sitting now, and all I can think is: what do I do? His associations with #1/#2 have been positive so far, and he seems to have the ability... Just no desire to make it to the toilet. I can regiment set times to go to the bathroom again, but how do I communicate to him that there is only one acceptable place to pee in the house?

lilies

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:47 pm
Jellybean each time he goes?

avrahamama

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:48 pm
That sounds like sleepwalking to me.

hodeez

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:51 pm
My daughter was doing the same thing. I told her if she keeps having accidents I would have to send her to school in a diaper. She said she wouldn't do it again and bh has been going to the toilet.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:51 pm
Does he possibly have strep? I know it sounds crazy but my daughter was having accidents when she had been trained for a while. I took her to the doctor in case it was a UTI and the doctor said she always checks for strep in these situations and my daughter was strep positive. We gave her antibiotics and she stopped having accidents.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:59 pm
Who cleans up when he makes a mess? Have him do it. That makes it a less attractive option.

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Does he possibly have strep? I know it sounds crazy but my daughter was having accidents when she had been trained for a while. I took her to the doctor in case it was a UTI and the doctor said she always checks for strep in these situations and my daughter was strep positive. We gave her antibiotics and she stopped having accidents.

He actually did have strep two weeks ago. We completed his antibiotic regimen a few days ago. That would time perfectly... But why??

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:42 pm
Rappel wrote:
He actually did have strep two weeks ago. We completed his antibiotic regimen a few days ago. That would time perfectly... But why??

I'm not sure why but my pediatrician said it's very common.

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:43 pm
hodeez wrote:
My daughter was doing the same thing. I told her if she keeps having accidents I would have to send her to school in a diaper. She said she wouldn't do it again and bh has been going to the toilet.

He would love that Smile he very much wants to be the baby right now.

If he's awake, I'll have him take part in the clean up. It would make sense to him; he's very fair-minded. And I'll start supervising his bathroom times again until I'm sure he'd got the habit back.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:44 pm
Rappel wrote:
He would love that Smile he very much wants to be the baby right now.

If he's awake, I'll have him take part in the clean up. It would make sense to him; he's very fair-minded. And I'll start supervising his bathroom times again until I'm sure he'd got the habit back.

Maybe take him back to the doctor tomorrow though to make sure the strep didn't come back.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 3:18 pm
A few of my kids did this. They were trained and then a few months later regressed cuz the toys they were playing with were just too much to stop and go to the bathroom. I treated them like a newly trained kid and gave them a jelly bean every time they went and did the horay she went to the toliet song and dance and after a week or so the behavior stopped.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 3:29 pm
It sounds like you are right on top of this, and doing everything right. Regressing is super common, and training is often not a straight road.

DD used to sleep walk until she was 8 or 9. She would try to talk to me but it never made sense, so I'd ask her "do you need the bathroom?" and she would say "yes", so I would lead her there and then tuck her back into bed. She never remembered a THING in the morning.

With boys, it's super common for them to prefer to keep playing, and just be wet. It doesn't bother them one bit. It can happen daily up until 6 or 7 years old, unless you really insist that he work on it. You know that his bladder and muscle control are mature enough to handle it, and you know that he's intellectually aware enough to understand, so just keep training. You'll be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers