Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Favorite cookbook
Previous  1  2

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:38 pm
Dining In, What's Cooking, and Miriam Pascal's Real Life Kosher Cooking. More Real Life Kosher Cooking seems great too. I am not a fan of the BY cookbook.

Wife1

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 4:12 pm
Another vote for balabusta 2

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:04 pm
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat

Not a kosher cookbook, but teaches you the concepts behind good cooking. The illustrations are incredible and the whole book is amazing. Has recipes as well that can be adapted for kosher.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:48 pm
Another vote for Table for Two or miriam pascals real life kosher cooking (she just came out with her second)

SuperWify

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:50 pm
Another vote for BY cookbook (1 or 2 but I like 2 better)

And well as Fresh and Easy

I like a lot of others but these are perfect for a new cook.

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:06 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I got the original spice and spirit, yellow cover when I got married. I lost it in a house fire
and it is out of print. I got other cookbooks but spice & spirit was the best. No pictures but
TONS of recipes - all basic heimishe cooking.

I just gave Spice and Spirit as a gift - it's available for sale from Judaica Press. It's definitely a must-have for any cookbook collection, though I would love to see it modernized a bit.

Pink Flamingo

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:33 pm
I vote either Bais Yaakov 1 or Table for Two

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:35 pm
I don't like the BY cookbook, so much ketchup and jam and duck sauce. Love fresh and easy!

And Rising the Book of Challah by Rochie Pinson is amazing! Not such a cookbook but a great gift

Belle

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:07 pm
Kosher Palette! Both the original and Kosher Palette Coming Home.
Also, an oldie but goodie, the Aish ha Torah Cookbook. I lived with that when I was first married.

erm

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 12:52 am
Heimishe Kitchen Nitra Cookbook

Dina2018

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 1:50 am
dear all who like Spice and Spirit, what do you use in place of shortening that appears in most recipes?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 1:52 am
challahchallah wrote:
Not a Jewish cookbook, per-say, but I love Plenty. Beautiful pictures and delicious food.

Also, because I am a bread person, I like Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Perfect for newlyweds because you can just take out a couple rolls worth of dough on any given night.
there is a „new artisan bread a day“ , updated

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 2:16 am
Dina2018 wrote:
dear all who like Spice and Spirit, what do you use in place of shortening that appears in most recipes?

Margarine (using the new Country Crock sticks) or oil, depending on the recipe.

Dina2018

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 2:20 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

when you use oil how much do you substitute? like for 100 g shortening? I thought it has to be solid

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 2:26 am
Dina2018 wrote:
when you use oil how much do you substitute? like for 100 g shortening? I thought it has to be solid

For things like cookies, it really affects the texture, so I usually try to use margarine. If you can't, use 3/4 of the amount of oil.

For things like cake, I do the same amount - I don't find any major difference. (But then again, I'm not the most gourmet cook...)

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:57 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

I don’t use Spice and Spirit for everything, so I haven’t run into this problem (I have a LOT of cookbooks) but I do use extra light olive oil in almost everything and for things that need the firmer consistency, the new Betterine sticks are great. I mainly use Spice and Spirit for when I need a side dish or new chicken recipe, etc. It’s really a wonderful resource for a new cook.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:53 am
If they are ok putting it through google translate (it's not like a real text), my family cookbook has real recipes with real ingredients
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen