Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Iso therapist for anger mngmt for 11 yo boy Bklyn

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:27 am
My son is having more and more frequent meltdowns which include slapping me. Has anyone on here had success with anyone they can recommend?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:21 pm
Bump

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:36 pm
Are you looking for a play therapist only? If not- We’re seeing a floortime therapist with my son and it’s really helping his emotional regulation a lot. If that’s something that interests you, ask around for names- there aren’t too many but there are some great ones in Brooklyn.
(I was recommended Mendy strohli as a play therapist and heard some nice things about him but can’t tell you firsthand as I didn’t end up using him)
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:40 pm
Thank you, who are you using for floor time?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:46 pm
two great names:
Mendy Klein in Williamsburg
Moishe kellman in chush on bay parkway
(Both also Yiddish speaking if you need)

If you want to travel to New Jersey:
Rabbi Bernstein
Chana frimet jaroslowitz
Jessica Laughlin

Floortime may not be the approach that you need but it’s something worth looking at

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 12:57 pm
Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I'm googling Moshe Kellman chush bay parkway and can't find anything. Do you have a contact number by any chance. Do you know anything about cost? And if anyone has experience with him or anyone else please post. Thank you

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 1:05 pm
you can look up icdl directory and find both names plus more with info and pictures etc (not sure how those names are written there- perhaps Mendel? In any case you can also put in your location)
Again- please look into this method first! You may want a regular licensed social worker. I chose this because my son fought against everyone and floortime first follows the child’s lead and challenges them from there so my son felt like the therapist was an ally and he loved it.
Also- there’s a recent floortime thread here with more names and info on these)

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:56 pm
Dr David Katzenstein,
He practices on east 18th o & p

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Dr David Katzenstein,

Thank you, can you tell me more about him

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Dr David Katzenstein,

He's excellent.
Also Ratzon Gholian is very good!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 6:46 pm

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, can you tell me more about him

DC (10) started seeing him for anger issues after he came highly recommended. He is very professional and my son has a great relationship with him so that is saying alot. He runs to the office by appointment time. My husband and I both met him for the intake and we left with a very good impression. He is not arrogant, and he speaks softly and listens really well. I felt very validated and also respected, not judged.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:10 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
DC (10) started seeing him for anger issues after he came highly recommended. He is very professional and my son has a great relationship with him so that is saying alot. He runs to the office by appointment time. My husband and I both met him for the intake and we left with a very good impression. He is not arrogant, and he speaks softly and listens really well. I felt very validated and also respected, not judged.

Thank you, does he do play therapy or talk therapy?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, does he do play therapy or talk therapy?

Talk, the room is not set up like a playroom if that's what you are asking. but, he plays games with my son. He needs games to build a relationship with the children and keep them interested. We can't expect a child to just sit on a couch for 45 min and talk about their feelings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)