Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Anyone made liquor?

TravelHearter

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:20 pm
Thinking it will be cheaper to make homemade liquor than to buy alcohol for mishloach manos. Anyone ever done it? Is it too much of a hassle? Any good recipes?

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:22 pm
Liquor or liqueur? To make liquor you need distilling apparatus. To make “liqueur”, you need to buy the alcohol and flavoring ingredients.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 8:02 pm
any waltons fans here ? the baldwin sister made alcohol for years they called it the "recipe"

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 8:51 pm
Honestly when we get home made liquere I throw it out. It doesn’t look appetizing and many have raw eggs.
I don’t like the little bottles either.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 8:53 pm
my mom used to make wine out of grapes that we grew in our backyard in scranton pa it was pretty fgood

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:15 pm
TravelHearter wrote:
Thinking it will be cheaper to make homemade liquor than to buy alcohol for mishloach manos. Anyone ever done it? Is it too much of a hassle? Any good recipes?

One thing I can tell you... It is NOT cheaper to make your own liquor! It's cheaper to buy. Usually the liquor store has certain ones that they could sell at a better price, especially in quantity.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:17 pm
DH friend sends homemade liquor every year, it's disgusting. Goes right into the garbage.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:51 pm
There is no mitzvah to include alcohol in Mishloach Manos either. I'd prefer snapple!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:54 am
I make chocolate liqueur from an old Hamodia recipe. I use it in recipes, like the classic cake mix vodka cake. I could see it being enjoyed by friends but two things to bear in mind:
1. You'll probably use vodka as a base. Does that make it chometz one needs to get rid of? Let your recipients know.
2. Though you'll probably just make small amounts. I don't know what small bottles cost but it could add up.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
DH friend sends homemade liquor every year, it's disgusting. Goes right into the garbage.

Bal tashchit. Use it to disinfect and deodorize hard surfaces like the bathroom sink, unless it’s syrupy. If it’s just something like flavor-infused vodka it also makes a fine air “freshener” spray. Just keep it away from hot surfaces and open flames, a precaution you must take with any flammable liquid regardless of origin.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:04 am
zaq wrote:
Bal tashchit. Use it to disinfect and deodorize hard surfaces like the bathroom sink, unless it’s syrupy. If it’s just something like flavor-infused vodka it also makes a fine air “freshener” spray. Just keep it away from hot surfaces and open flames, a precaution you must take with any flammable liquid regardless of origin.

Normally it’s chocolate sugar syrup with raw eggs.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Normally it’s chocolate sugar syrup with raw eggs.

The raw eggs are no problem because the alcohol kills any salmonella that may be lurking. But this is syrupy and not a candidate for use as a cleaning product. I would use it as a flavor additive in cake batter, cocoa or coffee.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 11:03 am
I made coffee liqueur from vodka. Used a recipe from allrecipes.com. It was really good. I don't know how price compares, I did it because kosher coffee liqueur is not available where I live.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 11:16 am
I've done it. It's hit or miss. I made delicious Kahlúa liqueur. And it crystalized overnight even though it stayed at room temperature. The bottles are costly and the project was a waste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics