Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Is there a way to make the internet safe w/o buying filter?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:37 am
I've had such bad luck with filters - tried several and they've all slowed down my computer. At this point my priority is to get the internet filtered for my kids. Is there some type of browser I can download that will be safe for kids? That way, I can create a windows user for them and allow only that browser to be used. Anyone know of a solution like this?

forgetit

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:03 pm
I personally make do with the filter annoyances, but you might be able to do different settings for different users. I wonder if you can filter only your kids username and not your username (have separate users and passwords for all.). Not sure its a solution. Just a guess for something you can look into.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've had such bad luck with filters - tried several and they've all slowed down my computer. At this point my priority is to get the internet filtered for my kids. Is there some type of browser I can download that will be safe for kids? That way, I can create a windows user for them and allow only that browser to be used. Anyone know of a solution like this?

even if hypothetically there was a safe browser for kids, how would you ensure they only use that browser if you don't have a filter? unless your kids are toddlers they could easily use a different browser than the one you choose.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:05 pm
Odelyah wrote:
even if hypothetically there was a safe browser for kids, how would you ensure they only use that browser if you don't have a filter? unless your kids are toddlers they could easily use a different browser than the one you choose.

Windows allows you to create a child profile and specify which programs you allow them to use.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:06 pm
For a start, you can put youtube and google on safety mode.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Windows allows you to create a child profile and specify which programs you allow them to use.

This feature is buggy.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Kaspersky anti virus has a "kaspersky safe kids" that you can apply to just certain users. It comes along with the full anti virus package. You can filter sites that are allowed, monitor internet usage, etc. Something cool- besides for setting some types of sites as not allowed at all, you can set certain types of sites as allowed but you'll get an email every time they're visited. I never used it for my kids- I have Kaspersky anti-virus and used the safe kids feature instead of a filter for myself- so I never tried out all the additional features. I don't think it slowed anything down.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:34 pm
I use OpenDNS to filter at the router level, as protection level 1. It doesn't slow anything down, but it's not 100% effective either.

I have Mac computers, so I use Parental Controls as a secondary filter. I don't know how Windows compares. I do a whitelist - meaning they can ONLY access sites I explicitly allowed. (No Google, no YouTube, etc.)

I usually also have one of the other free filters - K9 (in the past) or Qustodio (which does slow things down somewhat).

If they ever need anything more from the internet, they can do it with me.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 8:08 pm
Verizon has a home protection with password feature of Fios app.
Apple also has filtering options on their devices.
Don’t know how foolproof these are though.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:13 pm
K9 is a great filter and doens slow down the computer.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:37 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I use OpenDNS to filter at the router level, as protection level 1. It doesn't slow anything down, but it's not 100% effective either.

I have Mac computers, so I use Parental Controls as a secondary filter. I don't know how Windows compares. I do a whitelist - meaning they can ONLY access sites I explicitly allowed. (No Google, no YouTube, etc.)

I usually also have one of the other free filters - K9 (in the past) or Qustodio (which does slow things down somewhat).

If they ever need anything more from the internet, they can do it with me.

Qustodio is free?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:40 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Qustodio is free?

The basic version is. All the advanced stuff is not.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
K9 is a great filter and doens slow down the computer.

K9 has been discontinued.

wantavaca

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:17 pm
Get iPads and don’t have a search engine
Just put whatever apps u allow

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:29 pm
wantavaca wrote:
Get iPads and don’t have a search engine
Just put whatever apps u allow

Ipads for sure has a search engine. Comes with safari and Google.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:31 pm
singleagain wrote:
Ipads for sure has a search engine. Comes with safari and Google.

If you block Siri and Safari, you won't have access to them.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 4:47 pm

still works on mine

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:25 pm

Really? For how long?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:52 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
still works on mine

It still works on computers that it was installed on before it was discontinued, but it does not receive updates anymore, in effect being a defunct filter.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Qustodio is free?

we have had qustodio for years but I found out the hard way that it is very easy for determined teenagers to bypass it Sad

once TAG came to our community I worked with them and have been very happy overall with Netspark.

We also bought a Netgear router to add another layer of protection with their parental controls (these only help with the internet in the house-- and if you live somewhere with free public wifi it's pretty useless)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics