Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Dd left out of class
Previous  1  2

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:07 pm
Let it go. If your daughter has specific questions then she can ask the teacher.

You feel you daughter was entiled to be called back into the room, given an apology, and have the teacher give her the lesson. This is what is bothering you.

All the other stuff is chatter. Really, let it go. This is a good life lesson. Sometimes we don't get what we're entitled to. Your daughter missed part of a lesson along with her friends. Without even trying, you have a list of excuses why she is so special she should have been handed the notes by the teacher.

Look at the big picture. She has a good relationship with her teacher. If she missed 20 minutes of class, is it worth ruining that connection.

Also why was your daughter's group sent out for disturbing the others? If it was a because someone was particularly sensitive, then a quiet room would be found. But your daughter and her group were asked to leave.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

Also why was your daughter's group sent out for disturbing the others? If it was a because someone was particularly sensitive, then a quiet room would be found. But your daughter and her group were asked to leave.

I think the idea is that her daughter had a group mate who couldn’t focus in the classroom. This is pretty common in schools. If I have 5 or 6 groups, I might send one outside to work so that everyone has more space and can hear their group.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:30 pm
Dd's group wasn't asked to leave. One of the girls in the group asked if the girls could leave, because she has trouble processing in a loud room.

Dd did talk to her teacher today. That was our plan when she went to school today- that she would ask for help. The teacher said, "Get someone to explain the notes to you." When she added that she didn't understand the material from the group work either, the teacher said she had explained it, during the class time dd missed, and a friend could explain that too. Then the teacher went to her next class. And dd was completely lost today.

She has decided the teacher will not be of help to her and she cannot rely on her. We move on.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:33 pm
Just curious, what subject area this is in? Because you never clarified, and depending on the answer, posters may have different suggestions. This is probably the most important detail.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:48 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Just curious, what subject area this is in? Because you never clarified, and depending on the answer, posters may have different suggestions. This is probably the most important detail.

Very true- sorry. History. There is a lot of elaboration that doesn't get written down on the board. It fleshes out the picture of what is happening.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:57 pm
Then honestly I do understand the teacher's reaction. Of course, listening to the flow of the lecture is helpful but if your daughter has notes or a textbook that should be adequate, if this was math or a complicated chumash lesson that would be a different story.

Maybe looking it over together and creating a visual, informal sort of timeline would be enough to catch her up on 20 minutes worth. She just needs to know the basic sequence to be able to follow the next lesson. And maybe have her friend join you guys, since it sounds like she would benefit, too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 6:08 pm
I hear. I guess it's who my kid is. She cannot remember or internalize dry facts and sequences. She only gets it if it is told like a story, given over and explained with some color. And there is no book. I guess the teacher is not responsible for how dd learns, even if it was her mistake that made her miss the material.

Thank you.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear. I guess it's who my kid is. She cannot remember or internalize dry facts and sequences. She only gets it if it is told like a story, given over and explained with some color. And there is no book. I guess the teacher is not responsible for how dd learns, even if it was her mistake that made her miss the material.

Thank you.

Why are you so focused on whose "fault" it is rather than finding ways to help your DD move forward? Are you saying that the only way DD can learn the material is from this teacher?

Also, I don't want to make any assumptions, but often when teachers set up group discussions, they will tell the kids exactly how long they will have to discuss the assignment. It's possible that your DD's group lost track of time and did not come back when the time was up.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thank you.

Most of the time a test will have one, max 2 questions on a lesson. So your daughter won’t remember those facts and will get one thing wrong. Nothing too serious
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics