Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can somebody kindly explain?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 4:32 pm
My dd is in 2rd grade and her teacher is asking me to have her evaluated. She feels she is not keeping up. I know what I have to do, ie, through the Boe, etc. but I do not understand the services offered.

Could someone explain terms such as P3, seit, title 1, setts, shadow, etc? I'm trying to make heads or tails out of what's out there!

Thank you:)

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 4:41 pm
So a shadow is someone that would be with your daughter all day helping her along
P3 is taking your daughter out of class a one on one session
Title one is a group of girls getting extra help from an experienced teacher with a degree

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd is in 2rd grade and her teacher is asking me to have her evaluated. She feels she is not keeping up. I know what I have to do, ie, through the Boe, etc. but I do not understand the services offered.

Could someone explain terms such as P3, seit, title 1, setts, shadow, etc? I'm trying to make heads or tails out of what's out there!

Thank you:)

P3 is the form special education teachers use to be reimbursed for providing SETSS (Special Education Teacher Support Services), when that service is not provided by a teacher from the school. SETSS is special education intervention by a licensed special education teacher delivered in a small group.

SEIT (Special Education Itinerant Teacher) is a preschool service only. (That is the reason it’s itinerant - because children that age are not necessarily in school.)

Title One is not a special education service. It’s extra reading/math intervention provided to general education students, who are struggling in those subjects and meet certain income eligibility requirements.

Shadow is not a DOE term. The service is a 1:1 paraprofessional, and it is not offered for academic (or focusing) support. It is offered for severe acting-out/behavioral issues or for significant medical needs. It involves an adult sitting with the student in the classroom to prevent/deal with the acting-out or medical needs (e.g. feeding, toileting, suctioning, etc.)

What do you see as DD’s issues? Are they significant (to the level of a disability) or is she just struggling a bit? Is she one of the youngest in her grade?

dankbar

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:53 pm
I've seen shadows guide the student so that they follow along with the teachers instructions for work.
If student has a hard time following instructions in a wider setting & gets spaced out or whatever.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
P3 is the form special education teachers use to be reimbursed for providing SETSS (Special Education Teacher Support Services), when that service is not provided by a teacher from the school. SETSS is special education intervention by a licensed special education teacher delivered in a small group.

SEIT (Special Education Itinerant Teacher) is a preschool service only. (That is the reason it’s itinerant - because children that age are not necessarily in school.)

Title One is not a special education service. It’s extra reading/math intervention provided to general education students, who are struggling in those subjects and meet certain income eligibility requirements.

Shadow is not a DOE term. The service is a 1:1 paraprofessional, and it is not offered for academic (or focusing) support. It is offered for severe acting-out/behavioral issues or for significant medical needs. It involves an adult sitting with the student in the classroom to prevent/deal with the acting-out or medical needs (e.g. feeding, toileting, suctioning, etc.)

What do you see as DD’s issues? Are they significant (to the level of a disability) or is she just struggling a bit? Is she one of the youngest in her grade?

Thank you so much. This is very informative. The issues are mainly focus /attention. When she is able to attend, she picks up information well, easily learns math procedures, etc. But she is extremely easily distracted, and fidgity, has a lot of difficulty staying focused.

For example, the teacher will tell me she doesn't understand the math. At home, if I am able to get her to pay attention for a bit, she easily picks up procedures. But that's a big if. She usually will pretty much refuse to pay attention for long enough. And by long enough I mean a few minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics