Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Large Print Chumash

11lilducks

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 2:50 pm
I'm looking for a large print chumash for my son. He just began learning chumash and isn't a good reader. I think that having Rashi, etc on the same page as well as trope, is just making reading it harder for him. I looked at chinuch.org for worksheets,and online. Has anyone seen such an item? Thanks

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 2:59 pm
In the meantime, you could photocopy a page and enlarge it, while cutting off the Rashi...

Lani22

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:17 pm
http://www.feldheim.com/cgi-bi.....=CHOR

louche

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 9:07 pm
If all you ned is text, Jewish heritage for the Blind in brooklyn has large-print Chumash, spiral-bound. I think each chumash is a separate volume. technically they don't sell them, but you send them a donation of the cost of the volume and shipping (they will tell you how much it is when you call or write) and they will send it to you.

Mama Shifra

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 1:10 pm
11lilducks wrote:
I'm looking for a large print chumash for my son. He just began learning chumash and isn't a good reader. I think that having Rashi, etc on the same page as well as trope, is just making reading it harder for him. I looked at chinuch.org for worksheets,and online. Has anyone seen such an item? Thanks

I went to Bais Yaakov of Baltimore as a child, and our principal was a son-in-law of R' Yaakov Kaminetsky z'l. R' Kaminetsky felt that when starting Chumash, children should use a Chumash with no Rashi or any other commentary on the page, just the text spaced out widely (with only a few lines on each page). If you see a copy of the book Reb Yaakov, it discusses this philosophy of teaching Chumash further. Our school got such Chumashim from the Board of Jewish Education of Greater New York, but I understand that they are now out of print. However, I would still try the Board of Jewish Education of Greater New York to see if they have any copies left. Also, one of Reb Yaakov sons runs an elementary school, so maybe you could call that school and ask what Chumashim they use for Haschalas Chumash.

Shifra
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics