Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Working for an MLM?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:02 pm
Anyone work for an MLM? I reached out to a friend of mine who is a certified health coach who works for Optavia (which is an MLM). I love the idea of health coaching but not thrilled about the sales part. I am definitely not a sales person but I think I would do very well as a coach. I'm torn whether or not this is worth trying. Anyone know about Optavia and or/health coaching and can give me some feedback? Thanks!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:11 pm

It’s very difficult to make it in an MLM and most of the businesses are shady.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:25 pm
If you're not a salesperson, then no. You can coach people by becoming a nutritionist.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:38 pm
Optavia has nothing to do with health. Starving yourself without proper nutrients, and being advised not to excersize has nothing to do with health in my books. MLM is a scam, that simple!

I stand by this and will post under my screen name.

Side note: I block posts by friends who are "Optavia Health Coaches".

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:40 pm
Do you have a degree in nutrition or are you a Registered Dietitian?
If not, why does it seem like a good idea. Health and nutrition is much more complex that just limiting calories for weight loss. In fact you can cause many health complications if you do not look at the complete picture-bloodwork and medical issues and history.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:40 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
Optavia has nothing to do with health. Starving yourself without proper nutrients, and being advised not to excersize has nothing to do with health in my books. MLM is a scam, that simple!

I stand by this and will post under my screen name.

Side note: I block posts by friends who are "Optavia Health Coaches".

This. There is nothing healthy about a starvation diet supplemented with soy products. These “coaches” quickly alienate their other friends. So much more.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:43 pm
Side note, I have nothing against the MLM model in general. You just need to be clear that as a job, it's a marketing/sales position. You also need to do your homework, as in be sure that what you're selling is actually healthy. I don't know much about Optavia specifically, this is just common sense.

Leahh

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:47 pm
I do not work for an MLM not would I consider it.
I noticed that anyone that does uses every opportunity as a sales opportunity. That causes family and friends to distance themselves because they don't want to be coerced into buying your products.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:56 pm
Find a real job. Most friends who join MLM's become former friends pretty quickly . The pushiness, one tracked minded, spamming my social media just gets me really frustrated .
And I did give Optavia a try for a month and don't have much positive to say.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:19 pm
I do believe that (most) MLMs are not scams, however it is true that it is much closer to a sales/marketing job than a (insert product) business.
People do make it, but it isn’t as easy or as simple as people are told it is. Very few do. Hence, people are often left feeling cheated.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:21 pm
Omigod, the Optavia coaches are a cult. They all post the same things time and time again, and it's just blah at this point and soooooo annoying!!!!!

It's definitely a sales position. Barely any coaching.

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:32 pm
Check out the “antiMLM” sub on Reddit. It will tell you all you need to know.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:26 pm
Btdt my answer is no no no no no don’t fall for it.
If you want to be a coach make a plan and go for it on your own.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:22 pm
If you want to be a health coach look into the integrative health institute or something. Then you dont need to sell anythinf

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:35 pm
OP, check out season one of the podcast called The Dream. It’s all about MLMs. The odds of succeeding and making money from these companies are very slim.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:35 pm
Not optivia, but I did arbonne. I still use and recommend their products but I dont sell it. I did not like the culture. And most successfull ppl consultants are super pushy and annoying.
Most. Not all. I have made some really sweet friends /acquaintances through arbonne. (Hi chaysuri! Neny!)
My sister sells shaklee - also mlm shes been doing it for clise to 2 decades. Nice side job.

It depends on the company.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:50 pm
I've been in direct sales for 20 years and enjoy the flexibility of it (and the money!). Having said that, I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing from Optavia. It's not a healthy way to lose weight, in my opinion, and their training doesn't make you a health coach-- that's just a title.

Generally...… If you can make great money without being REQUIRED to recruit people, it's a stronger business model in my opinion (Mary Kay, Pampered Chef) than those companies where you only make money when you have people joining your business to technically BE business owners themselves and spending a required amount monthly (Amway, Melaleuca). Nothing against Melaleuca--- I'm a VERY happy customer and spend my required amount monthly--- but I don't build it as a business. And Amway--- well I joined for two months about two decades ago when I was in my 20's--- big mistake for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers