Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Posuk or Chazal about mothers

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 11:15 am
Hi,
I'm looking for a posuk or Chazal about mother's (not women, but specifically mother's)
For a shabbaton theme name... (And am English catch phrase while you're at it also would be great Smile

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 11:39 am
1.Aim habbonim smaicha
2. Atara sh’itra lo imo
(It’s written about shlomo Hamelech’s Mother who made him a atara on day of his wedding)
3.V’al titosh toras imecha
4. K’ish asher t’nachamenu imo.
5. Ashrai yoladeto
6. Shusa d’ynuka b’shuka o d’abba o d’ima.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 6:14 pm
I know it isn't a posuk but I immediately thought of the song 'shabbos queen'
'I used to think my mother was the shabbos queen...' the chorus went
'oh when I grow up, no matter what life brings, Hashem will give me the strength to handle it, and I will walk by the light of a thousand friday nights, with the tefillos of my mother who always kept her candles lit'
And Miriam Israeli's Ima tagid li which I have never forgotten after hearing her perform it. It is such a powerful song.
I think it's the theme of mothers davening for their children, the idea of each of us a link in the never ending chain, which I know is cliched but it still is a beautiful image.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 10:41 pm
K'Gamal Alei Imoi k'Gamal alei nafshi

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:05 am
Ad shekamti Devorah eim b'Yisrael
With all her accomplishments, eim b'Yisrael was her core identity.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:03 am
Shemen sh’sacha li Imi hi sh’amda li
(Torah that I absorbed from my mother is what stood for me in my old age).
Rav Yochanan said this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:26 am
Thank you all so much!

I'm planning a shabbaton about the imahos so need a title/name for the whole shabbaton which would encompass all of them... That's why I asked for a Chazal or posuk about mother's but do any of you know if there is something specific to the imahos about all of them?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:48 am
“Ain korin l’imahos ela l’arba”
They were all akaros and had children unnaturally, only through spiritual work- prayer and tears.
Also, The Imahos are considered to be four and there’s a question why? because unlike the forefathers who are all our ancestors , the foremothers are not, aren’t some of us only from Rochel and some only from Leah?
The answer is that every single jew got spiritual attributes of both Rachel and Leah, even though we’re each obviously biologically descendants of just one of them.
Every Jew got spiritual genes from all four. Sara, Rivka, Rachel and Leah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
They were all akaros and had children unnaturally, only through spiritual work- prayer and tears.
Also, The Imahos are considered to be four and there’s a question why? because unlike the forefathers who are all our ancestors , the foremothers are not, aren’t some of us only from Rochel and some only from Leah?
The answer is that every single jew got spiritual attributes of both Rachel and Leah, even though we’re each obviously biologically descendants of just one of them.

This Chazal is the only one I'm finding through everyone I ask. It doesn't have a ring to it for a shabbaton name, but maybe it'll grow on me lol
But the idea you quotes is beautiful, do you know the source? Because that's what the shabbaton would be about- the middos of the imahos and how we can all learn from the different attributes and lessons from them all

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This Chazal is the only one I'm finding through everyone I ask. It doesn't have a ring to it for a shabbaton name, but maybe it'll grow on me lol
But the idea you quotes is beautiful, do you know the source? Because that's what the shabbaton would be about- the middos of the imahos and how we can all learn from the different attributes and lessons from them all

The chazal is from maseches brachos
And this explanation is from the maharal.
There’s a CD by Rav S Pinkus describing the spiritual attributes and middos of the imahos, the difference between Rachel and Leah etc.
Good luck!

goodmorning

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:09 am
If it's specifically about Imahos:

1. מִנָּשִׁים בָּאֹהֶל, תְּבֹרָךְ (Shoftim 5:24 -- actually from last week's haftarah) which Chazal explain is referring to the imahos (Sanhedrin 105b: נשים באהל מאן נינהו שרה רבקה רחל ולאה)

2. קוֹל דּוֹדִי, הִנֵּה-זֶה בָּא; מְדַלֵּג, עַל-הֶהָרִים--מְקַפֵּץ, עַל-הַגְּבָעוֹת (Shir HaShirim 2:8) which Chazal explain as a reference to the zchus of the imahos (Rosh Hashana 11a: מקפץ על הגבעות בזכות אמהות)

3. This is more limiting, because it's only about two of them, but Rus 4:11 כְּרָחֵל וּכְלֵאָה אֲשֶׁר בָּנוּ שְׁתֵּיהֶם אֶת-בֵּית יִשְׂרָאֵל

goodmorning

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:16 am

Off-topic but just to point out, it is almost 100% certain that we are each biological descendants of both Rochel and Leah. Obviously, we are only descendants of one through the patrilineal line of descent (whatever that means when we're ultimately tracing ourselves back to a mother), but even a Kohen/Levi who knows that he is a descendant of Leah is almost for sure a descendant of Rochel through some (grand-)mother in his history.

There is a notion of the middos of the imahos that were past to their descendants (Leah/Yehuda/Dovid vs. Rochel/Binyomim/Mordechai) but even Mordechai, for example, was a descendant of Leah via his mother (who was from shevet Yehuda).

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:23 am
goodmorning wrote:
Off-topic but just to point out, it is almost 100% certain that we are each biological descendants of both Rochel and Leah. Obviously, we are only descendants of one through the patrilineal line of descent (whatever that means when we're ultimately tracing ourselves back to a mother), but even a Kohen/Levi who knows that he is a descendant of Leah is almost for sure a descendant of Rochel through some (grand-)mother in his history.

There is a notion of the middos of the imahos that were past to their descendants (Leah/Yehuda/Dovid vs. Rochel/Binyomim/Mordechai) but even Mordechai, for example, was a descendant of Leah via his mother (who was from shevet Yehuda).

True.
And even if most of Rochel’s are part of aseres hashvatim there were some from each shevet that escaped through holes in the fence and joined Yehuda Binyomin and Levi etc
So we actually have all 12 among us.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:29 am
True.
And even if most of Rochel’s are part of aseres hashvatim there were some from each shevet that escaped through holes in the fence and joined Yehuda and Levi etc
So we actually have all 12 among us.

Even not assuming that anyone today is part of the aseres hashvotim, the "Yehuda" contingency was Yehuda + Binyomin + part of Levi, which represents both mothers. And that's without counting the "intermarrying" that had occurred before the golus of the aseres hashvotim (where someone from Yehuda was already married to someone from e.g. Yosef).

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:38 am
goodmorning wrote:
Even not assuming that anyone today is part of the aseres hashvotim, the "Yehuda" contingency was Yehuda + Binyomin + part of Levi, which represents both mothers. And that's without counting the "intermarrying" that had occurred before the golus of the aseres hashvotim (where someone from Yehuda was already married to someone from e.g. Yosef).

100 %
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics