Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My 11 week old baby makes no eye contact.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 10:16 am
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they had such an issue and all is fine with their child? My daughter will smile to me when I smile to her, but she looks at my shoulder, or right near my face. She never looks directly at me....
Im anxious....

kenz

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they had such an issue and all is fine with their child? My daughter will smile to me when I smile to her, but she looks at my shoulder, or right near my face. She never looks directly at me....
Im anxious....

I didn't have exactly that but my baby had what seemed to me a wandering eye for months and months - I went to the regular eye dr, who said all was good, and then I went to a dr who specializes in vision therapy because it still looked funny to me. (In Ezra Medical Center, in Boro Park.) She did a lot of different tests and told me all looked well too. It still looked funny to me but all I could do was keep an eye on it (no pun intended) until at some point I forgot about it and now, two years later, all is indeed well, b"H. I would certainly have it checked if you're concerned but I don't think it's anything you need to get too worried about.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 11:17 am
You can check with your pediatrician. I had a similar concern. At that age, its normal that they seem to look through you or past you but not at you. As it happens, at about 7 months, I noticed eye crossing and then my child did need glasses. But at that age, the no eye contact is normal.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 11:34 am
One of my kids didn't look at me until about 3 months.

She is the most social, outgoing kid of ALL of my children.

It is normal to worry, but most often it is nothing.

meme6

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 12:01 pm
My doctors actually doesn’t vaccinate until the baby makes eye contact so I would advise you of this.
I had a baby that o my made eye contact at around 4 mo this some kids take longer, maybe you should bring it up with your pediatrician

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:05 pm
OP here...
Thanks so much to all of you.
Definitely calmer right now. Will talk to my doctor next week iyh. ( and stop googling....)

Refine

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:53 pm
I had that with my third. When I brought it up, the doctor tried making eye contact and the baby looked away as if to avoid it. Dr asked me if I ever practiced with her and I said no. My oldest was just three and when I nursed the baby it was usually under a nursing cover. it didn't dawn on me to talk to the baby amidst the rest of the chaos. Whoops.
Today, she's a very self aware, street smart regular kid.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 2:00 pm
My grandchild had this and it turned out to be a retinal problem plus cataracts.
Pediatrician diagnosed something was wrong by turning off the lights in a windowless room and turning on the cell phone flash light.

My GC had 2 surgeries, 1 retina, 1 cataract.
Now he needs to patch the good eye and wears a contact lens in the bad eye

Please get it checked out.
Could be something or nothing.
But if it is something it could affect eye development.
You don’t want the brain to “think” the eye is not needed, CVS.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
Im anxious....

Been there, done that. With one of my children, it was nothing, and with another one, it ended up being something.

I recommend doing the Early Start Denver Model. You can google it. It's a lot of commitment on your part, but honestly, it's also a very good way to engage your baby and work on lots of other skills. It doesn't mean your child is autistic or will be. But it's a very good way to address your concerns. And it may end up being totally nothing, but you won't regret all the parental interaction and positive language building skills!

powerofplay

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:43 pm
Some children have an easier time when there’s a greater distance between them and the other person. Try to enter a room where child is and call child’s name with a big smile and pause ... see if child can make eye contact that way . Slowly approach them ... with big smiles and a pleasant tone of voice ( not too loud ) .

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:47 pm
I would have her vision checked (not sure if she's too young for that or not). Social smiling is a good sign. It's way too early to draw conclusions about autism, but for what it's worth, my child with ASD made excellent eye contact at that age. It's hard not to worry, though, I know. Hugs.

boysrock

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 9:23 pm
First of all Mazel tov! The newborn stage is so hard, so much unknown... and we need to keep davening for healthy children! You have not mentioned anything about your birth if she was early, induced, or any other trauma at birth that may add to her late development. 11 weeks it is very normal for a baby to have no eye contact. Some children take their time to develop. As a Jewish mother your job is to worry.... one of my sons had no eye contact, he did not track and at 6 months started rocking and head banging, He barley smiled. He had the most angelic beautiful face. I was so worried... at his Six month visit to the pediatrician I broke down. The doctor smartly said your thinking the worst but just wait and see he may just be a slow developer. Of course I did not believe him. I thought I have an autistic son... he is Bh 9 now and my most popular of my children. Bh he is a healthy delicious boy, smart confident, popular and a real people’s person. It took a long time for him to catch up. Keep looking for the signs so you can get her the help she needs but it may be a little behind and developing at her own pace

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 10:43 pm
Thanks all! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!! I’m trying to think only good... and iyh all will be good! Will take him to my pediatrician this week.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 11:45 pm
One if my kids also didnt make eye contact. He looked kind of above my shoulder. He was also kind of stiff when held and didn't snuggle up like my other kids had. He cried a lot.
I was young and overwhelmed and I didn't think anything of it. (My parents and in-laws said afterwards that they were worried but didn't want to say anything.) At 2 he seemed like any other toddler.
The issues started coming out later, and when he was like 13 we finally had him evaluated. He presents with a mild form of communication disorder (used to be called aspergers)...
Not trying to worry you, but I've always wondered if I would have been able to avoid many issues had I known earlier and gotten him help at a younger age.

bnm

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 1:57 pm
get his eyes and ears checked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics