Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kenwood or Bosch mixer? Please advise!
Previous  1  2

Which mixer do you have and recommend for making challah?
Bosch  
 87%  [ 68 ]
Kenwood  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Kitchen Aid  
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 78

fish

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:17 pm
I had a kitchen aid for years and a Bosch for about a year. I use the Bosch for challah but it is so hard to clean. If I would have know I would have got a Professional kitchen aid with a stronger motor instead

happyone

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:51 pm
magic mill or bosch. Between the two I personally live the mm. the kitchen aid I find too small and the others I dont find big and sturdy enough for challah. I make 6 lbs.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:01 pm
happyone wrote:
magic mill or bosch. Between the two I personally live the mm. the kitchen aid I find too small and the others I dont find big and sturdy enough for challah. I make 6 lbs.

How come no one mentioned magic mill? How does it compare for challah dough?

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:24 pm
fish wrote:
I had a kitchen aid for years and a Bosch for about a year. I use the Bosch for challah but it is so hard to clean. If I would have know I would have got a Professional kitchen aid with a stronger motor instead

The professional kitchen aid is not strong enough for 5 lb of flour. The motor burns out in the middle.

ImaMum

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 1:23 pm
I have had my kenwood major professional for 13 yrs. It is great for everything, cookie dough, cakes, challoh, meringues, cream etc, love it.
I used to make challoh with 1.5kg flour and never had a problem. If I needed more I made a few batches, it doesnt take long.
But a few weeks ago I wasn't thinking and tripled my recipe to 4.5kg Can't Believe It and killed the motor Banging head

I got a quote to fix it and will either get it fixed or buy a new one if I find one on offer.

I know the bosch is recommended for challoh dough but I havent heard what else its good for. I would love to get both machines if I had the space but am happy with my kenwood and would recommend.

Ps. All my family and in laws have Kenwoods but that may be because we are English and its a well known English brand. In fact my mother has one from her mother it must be 40 or more years old and still works fine!

gold2

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 2:17 pm
ImaMum wrote:
I have had my kenwood major professional for 13 yrs. It is great for everything, cookie dough, cakes, challoh, meringues, cream etc, love it.
I used to make challoh with 1.5kg flour and never had a problem. If I needed more I made a few batches, it doesnt take long.
But a few weeks ago I wasn't thinking and tripled my recipe to 4.5kg Can't Believe It and killed the motor Banging head

I got a quote to fix it and will either get it fixed or buy a new one if I find one on offer.

I know the bosch is recommended for challoh dough but I havent heard what else its good for. I would love to get both machines if I had the space but am happy with my kenwood and would recommend.

Ps. All my family and in laws have Kenwoods but that may be because we are English and its a well known English brand. In fact my mother has one from her mother it must be 40 or more years old and still works fine!

How powerful is yours? I am thinking of getting the 6.7 liter bowl 1700 watt. For the price and size though, I would love to be able to use it for a 2.25 kg amount of flour (I don't know how much exactly the other ingredients add up to but not that much more). Do you think it would be good? According to their specs, it should be ok but I want it to work.
Someone else wrote previously that she divides hers in batches because otherwise it's too slow.

etky

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 2:47 pm
gold2 wrote:
How powerful is yours? I am thinking of getting the 6.7 liter bowl 1700 watt. For the price and size though, I would love to be able to use it for a 2.25 kg amount of flour (I don't know how much exactly the other ingredients add up to but not that much more). Do you think it would be good? According to their specs, it should be ok but I want it to work.
Someone else wrote previously that she divides hers in batches because otherwise it's too slow.

According to the specs, with the KVL8300 you can make 2.56 kilo of bread dough. That means using about 1.25 kilo of flour (around 8-9 cups).
Are you maybe confusing kilos and pounds?

littleprincess

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 3:01 pm
I got a kenwood as a wedding gift and uses it for about 4 years . I used to for cakes and challes but it broke while I made a challe dough . I made small batches and it still couldn't handle it .
I bought a Bosch and used it for challes and cakes and I'm super happy with it .

gold2

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 3:04 pm
etky wrote:
According to the specs, with the KVL8300 you can make 2.56 kilo of bread dough. That means using about 1.25 kilo of flour (around 8-9 cups).
Are you maybe confusing kilos and pounds?

No, I'm not getting mixed up between lbs and kg. Online it says

Bowl size (total):6.7 litres
Capacity - cake :4.55kg
Capacity - dough :2.56kg
Capacity - egg whites :16
Capacity - flour for pastry :910g

My recipe when making challah with a brocho is for 2.25kg of flour. I haven't measured out the rest of the ingredients so don't know if this will be too much or not.

etky

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 3:30 pm
gold2 wrote:
No, I'm not getting mixed up between lbs and kg. Online it says

Bowl size (total):6.7 litres
Capacity - cake :4.55kg
Capacity - dough :2.56kg
Capacity - egg whites :16
Capacity - flour for pastry :910g

My recipe when making challah with a brocho is for 2.25kg of flour. I haven't measured out the rest of the ingredients so don't know if this will be too much or not.

So, I'm not familiar with your recipe, but based on mine, 2.25 k, flour (approx 16 c.) would yield about 4 kilo of dough which is way more than the machine's capacity.

gold2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:41 am
thanks etky for your helpful advice. Very Happy

Last edited by gold2 on Sun, Jan 05 2020, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

smile12345

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:49 am
I hate my bosch, it's so heavy and bulky and impossible to clean the crevices in the bowl properly.

I always wish I would have gone with a kenwood.

As long as you get a Major, it should work just as well for challah.

gold2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:52 am
smile12345 wrote:
I hate my bosch, it's so heavy and bulky and impossible to clean the crevices in the bowl properly.

thank you! I really want to go with the kenwood (I've been going back and forth) but it seems that everyone around me is buying a bosch and it feels old-fashioned. oh well, having good cake and cookies is important to me too

etky

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 6:01 am
smile12345 wrote:

The Major - or whatever models they have now, cause the Major line was discontinued - is a great purchase as along as you know that it has a smaller capacity for challah than the Bosch and you're OK with that.
To anyone else contemplating the large 6.7 liter Kenwoods: go with a model that has handles on the bowl. The bowl on my model has no handles and this makes it difficult to handle, especially to empty it. Other than that I am very happy with the mixer.

gold2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 6:09 am
this one has handles if anyone is interested and is the most powerful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwo.....DB1BC

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:23 am
So are there any non-commercial mixers that can mix 5-7 lbs. of challah? I have a Kitchen Aid, I really like it, it can knead small doughs (e.g. pizza) but I make my challah by hand. And I'm fine with it, but I am curious.

etky

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:39 am
littleprincess wrote:
I got a kenwood as a wedding gift and uses it for about 4 years . I used to for cakes and challes but it broke while I made a challe dough . I made small batches and it still couldn't handle it .
I bought a Bosch and used it for challes and cakes and I'm super happy with it .

Did you have a Major or the smaller Chef or Kmix?

gold2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 8:47 am
I re-read the posts now. Just wondering if the big kenwood can only handle approx 1.25kg of flour what is the capacity for the smaller ones?
The ppl who said that their kenwoods broke, were you mixing at too high a speed?

yc

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:12 am
can anyone with the newer more powerful kenwood tell me if its worth it for the price? can it handle more dough than the old one? its much more powerful than the old one, but double the price.
I have the 6.7 liter old kenwood major (800w I think). wondering if to purchase the one comparable to my old one or invest more money in the newer model.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen