Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
DS3 needs emotional regulation..possible OT

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:05 am
I have a 3 y.o and a new born. My 3 y.o seems to cry an abnormal amount lately. I realized that being off schedule makes her crazy and she may have sensory issues. Any ideas of how to survive (a schedule-less) Sunday? Any ideas in general would be helpful. TiA

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:53 am
Huuuge adjustment for her!! Her world has been upended. Totally normal she needs lots of love and attention not OT. Janet Lansbury writes really good articles on this topic

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 6:18 am
Maybe try scheduling snacks and meals like his weekday schedule and give him a sit down structured activity to do at a regular time during the day.

Also if itโ€™s possible try carving out a slice of alone time with him, with the baby out of sight.

Good luck and enjoy your babies ๐Ÿ˜Š

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 7:59 am
This is the perfect time to start the Nurtured Heart approach. Parenting Kids with Love and Logic is also good, because once your 3yo is calm you can discuss things with her. Three is old enough to start using basic cause and effect logic to help her with problem solving.

Empathize
State the problem
Ask her if you got the problem right
Ask her if she has any ideas to fix the problem
Discuss solutions
Compromise
Praise for calm discussions
Lots of hugs and kisses!

If you look up "Unregulated Emotions" in a dictionary, you'll probably see a picture of a 3yo. LOL

If it's any consolation, my sister and I are 3 years apart. My mom said she had to constantly watch my baby sister, because I kept trying to get rid of her, hit her, or pinch her. I was pretty violent, according to mom. Tears and tantrums would have been a lot easier!

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 8:03 am
Three year olds are not expected to emotionally regulate easily or on their own. It's mainly co-regulation at this stage. If you're not familiar with that, look it up. It's fairly easy to implement, and very very important for helping your child to develop self regulation. Also read up on sensory processing so you can better understand your child and incorporate relevant activities throughout your day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:36 pm
Thank you everyone for the replies. I accidentally made the title say DS3 but my 3 year old is a girl Smile everyone is very polite for not pointing that out!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics