Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book recommendation: Wonder

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:31 pm
I just finished reading a book that I want to highly recommend.
It's called "Wonder" by RJ Palacio.
Its geared for kids but totally enjoyable for adults to read. (In fact, I am overly protective of my kids reading and wouldn't want my little kids to read it for some minor inappropriateness.)
It's about a boy who was born with craniofacial differences and how he navigates the ups and downs of being a new kid at middle school. It deals with bullying and being kind and loyalty.
This book has moved me like few books have. It's engaging and real and sad and hysterically funny at times. Its truly a beautiful book. (It also won many awards.)
There is also a companion book to it called AUggie and Me.
Has anyone here read it??

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:33 pm
I have read it! It is amazing! The movie is also really well done.

It is definitely a must read for all ages.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:40 pm
Yes I've read both. Auggie and me is not as interesting IME. I gave the book to my 6 year old because I felt like it is very important to introduce these concepts to him and I know his school isn't. He loved it.

Anonymous because I'm Chassidish and my son shouldn't be allowed to read English.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I have read it! It is amazing! The movie is also really well done.

It is definitely a must read for all ages.

I agree that it should be required reading. I believe many schools do have this book as part of their curriculum.

singleagain

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 9:37 pm
I thought Auggie and Me was more interesting. Especially the Julian story, bc we get too see the story from his point of view. And as well as

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:07 am
Never knew there was a book on it I watched the movie and loved it

fleetwood

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:15 am
My girls loved this book!

21young

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:26 am
I read the book and watched the movie, thought that this is one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 5:34 am
21young wrote:
I read the book and watched the movie, thought that this is one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book.

I personally was not keen on the movie at all. Thought it was poorly done lol. I wouldn't show any movies to my kids though so.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 6:01 am
singleagain wrote:
I thought Auggie and Me was more interesting. Especially the Julian story, bc we get too see the story from his point of view. And as well as

Interesting.
While I loved all the perspectives, and found the idea of it amazing, I found the Julian Chapter resonated with me as the least realistic..TBH, I dont know much about bullying, or the motives behind the behavior. The author for a great job showing his side. What I found hard to believe was how the parents- who originally condoned his behavior and defended him- made an about face so quickly. I didn't see the process.
The other thing I found intriguing was seeing how the principle held his ground and expelled the kid despite his parents being so rich and powerful. It left me wondering how common this is and if it would happen in a frum yeshiva.
I would love to hear others take on this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 6:05 am
21young wrote:

wow . I need to watch the movie. Ths book was so incredible, it's hard to imagine that a movie can top it.
One of the things that was so endearing to me was the style of writing. The simplistic honesty made you feel like you could really get into the heads of the protagonists. The author has a real knack for understanding how different people think and speak.
To the chassidish poster above who said she gave it to her 6 year old- kol hakavod that your 6 year old can read on such a level!. I would think it's more for older kids. Did he like it?

spelt

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 8:53 am
The only movie I ever watched on a plane (and I fly often) - cried the whole time!

cbsp

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:15 am
Just started reading this in a waiting room. Wow. Truly amazing but don't think it's appropriate for my children yet (oldest is 10) due to language and some relationship discussions.

Them you for reminding me that I reserved the book at the library but so far hasn't come in... I'm looking forward to finishing it...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:33 am
cbsp wrote:
Just started reading this in a waiting room. Wow. Truly amazing but don't think it's appropriate for my children yet (oldest is 10) due to language and some relationship discussions.

Them you for reminding me that I reserved the book at the library but so far hasn't come in... I'm looking forward to finishing it...

Is such a pity. I think this book is so spectacular, but I won't give it to my boys because of the minor laguage/toilet humor, etc. I understand that she wants to reflect real life, but it just ruined a great book as far as I am concerned. Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:40 am
One of my favorite parts is in the Christopher chapter, (in AUggie and Me) where she has the three 6th graders in the band decide to circumvent the teacher's decision by dropping out and "forming" their own band. It was clever in such a twisted way. Reminds you how self-centered teens can be, where they cant look past their own image. . This left Christopher in a huge dilemma. It was so well done..(I don't want to give away the ending)
This dilemma really leaves one with food for thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room