Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Is there a recipe that contains both brown sugar and water?

GramaNewYork

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 8:07 am
I accidentally poured water into a canister of brown sugar (don't ask Crying ) I would like to use the sugared water in a recipe if possible. I understand that brown sugar is very different from white sugar in recipes. Also, lots of caramelized sugar recipes use white sugar and no water. If you've ever made or seen a recipe that uses brown sugar water, please let me know. Thank you.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 8:11 am
If you like sweet cholent, this could be perfect. Or you could make BBQ baked beans with it. Slow cook a really tough piece of meat, and then take all the liquid and boil it down until you have a gravy/glaze for the meat.

You can make a delicious challa with the water. Brown sugar really isn't that different, it just has a richer and more complex flavor profile. You may find that you even like it better than regular sugar!

PS: Don't feel bad, I have totally done things like this before! Salt in your coffee does not taste nice. Confused

rivkam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 8:19 am
Itll be alot easier to use it in cooking when you dont necessarily need exact amount of sugar of water. You have some great suggestions from franticfrummie but to add to that.

You can put it on chicken for roasting. It would be really good in a roasting pan with sweet potato under the chicken.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:04 am
Cut oranges (or any citrus) into fairly small cubes. Add a handful of dried cranberries. Dollop some (not too much) of this brown sugar/syrup on top. Leave it for a few hours for the orange juice to meld with the syrup and the cranberries to absorb it and plump up. Enjoy your Tu b'Shvat fruit salad!

I normally make this with silan, but brown sugar syrup should work equally well. It's one of our favourite winter desserts.

teachkids

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:49 am
Toss it in a Crock-Pot with chicken legs and minced garlic. It's delicious

GramaNewYork

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:55 am
Wow! Thank you, ladies! All of these ideas sound scrumptious.

There really is a difference between white sugar and brown sugar as far as texture goes. I learned that the hard way in baking. But in all the ideas y'all posted, brown sugar would be perfect. I couldn't find a drooling emoticon, otherwise, I'd have used it Very Happy

PS...thanks to your ideas, I realize I could use it for the challah yeast rising water, too.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:00 am
When you heat the brown sugar and the water together, the water will dissolve the sugar and the texture will be fine. Try boiling it in a saucepan first, and using it that way to make sure that it doesn't come out gritty. Stir constantly and be careful that it doesn't boil over or burn on the bottom.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:18 pm
There is a “mock” Yerushalmi kugel recipe on this site that includes boiling the water for the noodles with the brown sugar in it already.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....13852

I see now it calls for white sugar as well but you can probably use all brown sugar. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics