Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Wedding present for brand new BT

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:26 pm
My friend is getting married soon and I'm trying to figure out what kinds of presents to get her. She's Jewish and has been slowly learning and becoming interested, but she's not yet fully "frum." Everyone else is going to get her practical stuff from her registry, but I'd like to get her a couple of "Jewish" things especially since I'll be mailing them from Israel. So what does a Jewish home need to start out, especially on a level she's comfortable with (I.e. no hair coverings or sefarim)? Thus far we are thinking mezuzahs, shabbos candlesticks (DH vetoed cause she can light tea lights), a siddur with her name in it? Any other ideas? Thanks!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:30 pm
Maybe some books that are personal to you/have given you chizuk over the years?

Feeling culturally connected to a new world/way of life can also come from knowing what people read/what is popular in a certain community.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:35 pm
Beautiful tzedakah box, challah cover or tray or knife or salt dish -
It's almost pesach. Maybe a seder plate? A matza cover and afikomen bag?

Frumme

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:38 pm
I'd suggest a silver travel candle lighting box. It's small, thoughtful, and even if she doesn't use it, it can be a beautiful piece on her mantle/in her China cabinet.

I have two, one that closes up into a sphere and one that is rectangular. The rectangular one was a wedding gift, and I still use it when I go on trips.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:42 pm
Maybe the actual scroll for the mezuzah not just the case.

Something nice for her shabbat table.

A cookbook that breaks down laws of kashrut and chagim?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 1:21 pm
Challah board or cover
Candlesticks
Besamim hilder

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 2:08 pm
Havdallah set
Challah cover
Travel siddur
Women's siddur
If not coming across too pushy and if she likes to read/have resources, the Kitov 3-volume set The Book of Our Heritage is helpful

saralem

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 3:03 pm
A gorgeous challah cover. Candlesticks— if you know that she isn’t receiving from her or his family. I was a pretty new BT when we got married, and my dear friend gave me candlesticks that I still use every Shabbos. Our not frum families didn’t know that it’s customary to give.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics