Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you know a depressed Aliza or Simcha?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:06 pm
I am IY"H expecting a girl very soon.

I suffer from depression and don't want my daughter to go through it.

I think if I give her a super upbeat name like Aliza, Simcha, etc she'll have an easier time avoiding it (maybe get her father's genes?).

But.........
I know it's not a foolproof plan. I"m wondering if it's a foolish plan. Like setting her up for a life of misery b/c she'll be depressed anyways and have an ironic name.

Thoughts?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:12 pm
Parents do have some level of ruach hakodesh these days but I say. give a name because you love it and it fits. Don't overthink. B'shaa tova and may your beautiful baby have an eim habanim smeicha till 120!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:13 pm
This is an interesting question. My father named my brother Simcha for similar reasons and he's a super happy kid, people are always fast to make the connection. He is still a kid though.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:15 pm
Yes and yes. The name alone won't help but if their name helps you keep a pleasant and upbeat disposition, your child will likely be wholesome and happy!
MT bsha tova!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:38 pm
My first cousins name is Aliza. She naturally has a very joyful disposition. But she does suffer from depression and mental illness. She’s still a joy to be around whenever I see her.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:46 pm
I know a fraidel who isn’t particularly upbeat.
I love all those names, reason enough to give them even if it’s not a foolproof guarantee Smile

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:54 pm
Yes I know a Simcha who suffers from depression. He is naturally a more upbeat type though.

momof2+?

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:06 pm
I recently was marveling how much the personalities of my children reflect the personalities of the grandparents they are named for. Perhaps you wish to name after a person who was particularly joyful and a pleasure to be around?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:31 pm
Mine happens to be my more negative and difficult child...

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:52 pm
I know a Simcha (male) who suffers from anxiety, depression, and OCD. I knew a Simcha (male) that committed suicide. I know a Simcha (female) who despite many challenges is a natural optimist and a real go getter. Who can tell?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:52 pm
My grandmother is Simcha and she is the happiest and more optimistic person I know !!!
My aunt is Simcha too she had post partum depression but generally she is a person that always tries to see the good in everything ...but with her I see more like she works on it than just being her nature like my grandma

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:54 pm
I know a man named simcha, he tends to hide his depression well, though he does suffer.
My kids, completely different names. One suits his name to a T. It is really the midda that comes to mind and describes him.
The other, I unfortunately find his name to be more ironic than anything.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:37 pm
It's a beautiful idea to give a name that's a bracha for your child. Daven for your daughter's health - mental, emotional, physical, spiritual - and be there for her. An understanding parent who knows the signs and isn't afraid to seek appropriate help is an even better safeguard than a name alone. Bshaa tova!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:37 am
I named my daughter Chedva. She is a very happy two year old. I love the name and all that it stands for.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:06 am
My DDs middle name is simcha. shes one of the happiest children I've ever met but shes 3. I would say this is all anecdotal. I dont think a name influences personality or disposition one bit.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 2:48 am
I know a Rena who is depresed
and an Aliza who has anxiety

look at one of those books that has the mazal for each name, the're pretty true to life

etky

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:23 am
Speaking of books, this topic reminds me of Shari Greenspan's book, Shemot Muzarim:
http://jbooks.com/firstchapter.....n.htm

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:42 am
etky wrote:
Speaking of books, this topic reminds me of Shari Greenspan's book, Shemot Muzarim:
http://jbooks.com/firstchapter.....n.htm

That's so cute!

TheNeutralOne

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:35 pm
I think Simcha might be a complicated name. Check out the book called שמות בארץ.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:45 pm
TheNeutralOne wrote:
I think Simcha might be a complicated name. Check out the book called שמות בארץ.

Please explain..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names