Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Teaneck

Maman2

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:18 am
Hi! I’m looking into moving to Teaneck and have some questions. What kind of schools are in the area? Also, are there any apartment buildings or townhomes where families with younger children are concentrated? Any advice would be helpful!
Edited to add: also looking for extended hours childcare. Are the daycares or babysitting opened until 5?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:27 am
Teaneck is a modern orthodox community with pockets of RWMO. There are many schools. Give us more info about what you're looking for. A lot of young families are in bergenfield or south of cedar. The apartments in Teaneck are pretty small and generally for really young families- people generally leave by the time their kids start school.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:34 am
For daycare check out Shalom Yeladim

lcraighten

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:15 am
I'd love to hear more too! What are the school options? Are there any yeshiva type people in Bergenfield or everyone is MO?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:22 am
I believe most people are YU haskafa, although I really don't know and am not an authority on this. There is a Yeshiva on Palisades, but I don't know who populates it.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:26 am
lcraighten wrote:
I'd love to hear more too! What are the school options? Are there any yeshiva type people in Bergenfield or everyone is MO?

There is YNJ.. and then there are the rest Very Happy .

lcraighten

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:53 am
What is YNJ?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:04 am
In regard to school options, there are 6 elementary schools (that come to mind) which are all great, and I think if I was OOT and any of them were the only option, I would consider myself lucky and be thrilled to send. But we are able to nitpick. Some are co-ed thru 8th, some are co-ed through 3 and then separate but are in adjacent classrooms, one is separate from early childhood. I think all schools have parents who cover their hair and all schools have parents that don't, but the percentages differ.
High school- there is a large co-ed, a single gender boys and girls-not sister and brother schools but parents typically send to both, where the girls learn Gemara from strong learned women (who are AMAZING role models) and a separate gender girls and boys school (also not related but of similar haskafa I think, which is more Yeshiva/BY like (but I really don't know much about the school or BY so I am talking out of my tuchas).

One think I love about the Teaneck/Bergenfield/Englewood school system, next week, when high school acceptance letters go out, EVERYONE will have gotten into a school. It may not be their first choice, but the community has a strong belief and philosophy that every child should have a place. The principals barter and negotiate and make deals to make sure EVERY child is accounted for.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:10 am
lcraighten wrote:
What is YNJ?

https://www.rynj.org/

lcraighten

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:10 am
That sounds beautiful. Thank you!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:19 am
lcraighten wrote:

There is a yeshiva/kollel on Palisade as someone mentioned but it's a small yeshiva and most if not all of the kollel families send their kids to school in Monsey or Passaic or they move out when their kids start school. YNJ is the most right wing school in the area and it's an excellent school but not what I would call yeshiva type unless you're referring to YU.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:22 am
My kids are still young, so I can't speak to schools, but there are plenty of daycare options in the area-- in house, licensed Jewish and non-Jewish. There are a number of licensed Jewish daycares. Some run on the yeshiva calendar and some have more days open. When you're looking, just ask about their hours and to see their calendars. There are definitely options open after 5. I think the latest I've seen is 6:30, but 6 is more common. Also ask about Friday closing time because sometimes that can be very early.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:54 am
All the schools are good, but some might be a better fit than others. YNJ is a bit more to the right than the others. BPY, Yavneh, Noam, Moriah are all solidly MO. Noam separates earlier, but the crowd isn't so different. He'Atid uses a rotational model with more computer based learning and the tuition is lower, but the tradeoff is no aid. IMO, some kids are a great fit for it and some are not. BPY emphasizes Hebrew and learning both Sephardi and Ashkenazi halakha and minhag.

If you have any kids with learning needs, help is available, but which school is best can really depend on specifics.

Bergenfield is more right-wing than Teaneck, but not really yeshivish.

High school: as well as Frisch, TABC, and Ma'ayanot, there's a new girls' school (Naaleh) and a new-ish boys' school (Heichal). I don't know much about Naaleh yet except it's more to the right than Ma'ayanot, but Heichal is trying to fit into a niche between MO high school and a mesivta. Kids also go to MTA, Bruriah, and I know some at SAR.

lcraighten

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:24 am
Thank you, that is super helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating