Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Head Banging - Help!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:33 am
Dcs20 months consistently bangs his head when he gets upset. This has been going on for months. It's frightening. He is injuring himself, and he knows it. He gets bumps that turn into black and blue marks.

Really looking for advice!!!!

He does it at the babysitter, too, who isn't handling it very well, either.

I've tried to ignore it, I've tried taking him away form the scene. I've tried Hugging him through it to help him calm down, I've tried talking through it to help him with his feelings... in case it's because he's frustrated, but there doesn't seem to be triggers... (sometimes there is obviously like wanting something... but other times, it's like a switch)
Babysitter has tried multiple things as well.

I can't watch him do this to himself Crying

HELP!!!!

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:35 am
Sounds like an overly sensory child. I'd have him evaluated by an OT.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:40 am
I'm so sorry for you. It must be difficult to watch this.

Brain inflammation. Classic case of toxic medals such as mercury and aluminum in the brain. Detox him ASAP.

It is a vaccine reaction. When the blood - brain barrier is compromised and the chemicals infiltrate the brain causing brain inflammation. If you detox now you may avoid it becoming worse such as more on the spectrum symptoms.

May Hashem guide you.

LakewoodMom2

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:43 am
My son whos that age does the same thing!
My babysitter said she's seen this before and she's not concerned as its something they usually grow out of once they start learning how to talk/express themselves better.
I's very upsetting to watch them do it but iyH it will stop.

bnm

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:46 am
My kid used to do that. He also had delays in a bunch of areas. The developmental pediatrician said that is the thing parents are most concerned about and is least concerning. She suggested not saying 'no' if that was the trigger but using other words that mean the same thing. When all else failed we would put him in a soft padded area (his crib).
We worked on communication- sign language helped. He also got OT, lots of deep pressure. Some yoga- he liked being upside down.

another point- this kid has migraines and frequent sinus infections. He might have had pain and not been able to express it.

Last edited by bnm on Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

bnm

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:54 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I'm so sorry for you. It must be difficult to watch this.

Brain inflammation. Classic case of toxic medals such as mercury and aluminum in the brain. Detox him ASAP.

It is a vaccine reaction. When the blood - brain barrier is compromised and the chemicals infiltrate the brain causing brain inflammation. If you detox now you may avoid it becoming worse such as more on the spectrum symptoms.

May Hashem guide you.

Also sinus infections.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:57 am
Check for strep or ear infections.

What does your pediatrician say about all this?

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:12 am
My sister just told me last week that she finds her 4 yr old doing it less and less. She tried so many things nothing worked. He officially used to fall asleep this way. So she moved his bed away from the wall, he went off the bed and fell asleep on the floor. Pediatrician told her he will likely outgrow it and he is.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:49 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Check for strep or ear infections.

What does your pediatrician say about all this?

Ped says If he a happy, affectionate, well adjusted child the rest of the time, there is nothing to worry about. He's stronginded and this is his way of giving me a run for my money basically Banging head

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ped says If he a happy, affectionate, well adjusted child the rest of the time, there is nothing to worry about. He's stronginded and this is his way of giving me a run for my money basically Banging head

Trust your doctor. This is really common, and I'm sure they've seen millions of cases like this.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure why some kids do this and some kids don't, but I've never heard of it becoming life threatening. If you child doesn't seem to be growing out of it eventually, then you can start to worry.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:54 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Detox him ASAP.

A liver transplant is a bit extreme in this case.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:55 am
Hi OP
My son used to do this at about 14/15 months. When I first saw it, totally freaked me out. I immediately called my OT relative who told me its not uncommon. She explained that it may be a proprioception/feedback thing- learning about their body in space and cause/effect. Just like when they bang w their hands. Considering my son showed no other symptoms or any unusual behavior I figured this was possibly the case for him. So I taught him to say "back" or "over" instead. And then id hold him and lean his head back a bit to get a small rush. He liked that and learned to tell me. Much better. And the whole thing stopped in like 1 and a half months.
Hatzlacha

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:04 am
My son did this for a while. He was very bright, but couldnt verbally tell me what was bothering him. It stopped as soon as he became more verbal.

nursemomma

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:06 am
My son did this when he was younger. As long as he was developmentally appropriate in all other areas, my pediatrician said not to be concerned. He stopped eventually, I don't remember after how long.
I think it has a lot to do with personality. My son is very intense/anxious type.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Trust your doctor. This is really common, and I'm sure they've seen millions of cases like this.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure why some kids do this and some kids don't, but I've never heard of it becoming life threatening. If you child doesn't seem to be growing out of it eventually, then you can start to worry.

But I can't let himself hurt himself either and the ped agrees.
(Hell really hurt himself. Bang! Ow! And do it again!)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Hi OP
My son used to do this at about 14/15 months. When I first saw it, totally freaked me out. I immediately called my OT relative who told me its not uncommon. She explained that it may be a proprioception/feedback thing- learning about their body in space and cause/effect. Just like when they bang w their hands. Considering my son showed no other symptoms or any unusual behavior I figured this was possibly the case for him. So I taught him to say "back" or "over" instead. And then id hold him and lean his head back a bit to get a small rush. He liked that and learned to tell me. Much better. And the whole thing stopped in like 1 and a half months.
Hatzlacha

This a actually sounds like a really good practical idea! Thank You!!!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:51 am
Can you offer him something else to bang? Like a plastic bat and a pillow? "I see you're so frustrated. Show me how frustrated you are with this bat and pillow" or sometimes scribbling really hard and fast with a marker can help
Samd idea "you must be so angry, show me how angry you are... or is this how angry you are and you start scribbling fast and hard so he knows how to do it...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:49 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Can you offer him something else to bang? Like a plastic bat and a pillow? "I see you're so frustrated. Show me how frustrated you are with this bat and pillow" or sometimes scribbling really hard and fast with a marker can help
Samd idea "you must be so angry, show me how angry you are... or is this how angry you are and you start scribbling fast and hard so he knows how to do it...

Its not only banging, though.
He does other things as well.
Things that hurt him, he's injuring himself, and as I'm watching him he does it even more/harder.

Also, I notice that when he learns a "new" way to hurt himself, it starts with him hurting himself by mistake, but I watch his reaction and he's like "oh that hurt, lets promptly do it again."

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:37 pm
Bloodwork came back ok BH.
Putting him in his crib doesn’t help.

He bangs his head against me which hurts me, & I hate seeing black and blue marks 😢 it’s scary

We’re home all day and it’s so scary watching it

I really need help!

lilies

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:05 pm
Do you react with lots of expression? Maybe he's looking for your reaction in addition to the sensory thing. What would happen if you calmly move him away or something?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics