Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chedvah high school

been there

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 10:52 pm
Anybody have a daughter currently in Chedvas high school and can tell me about the crowd, the chinuch, the teachers/principal?

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:10 pm
Do you mean in Lakewood?
If yes-My younger sister is there. Out of this world. Everything about the school sounds amazing. From the principal..teachers..the way they run it..their hashkafa..outlook in life..and what they focus on.
Almost sounds too good to be true to have such a High school exist like that in Lakewood. I hope for my sisters sake and everyone else that goes there it just continues to run the way it is and I think they will be extremely successful!

After all this I hope you were referring to the Lakewood one Wink

been there

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:16 pm
Thanks! Yes I was referring to the Lakewood one. That was helpful.

barbara1

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Do you mean in Lakewood?
If yes-My younger sister is there. Out of this world. Everything about the school sounds amazing. From the principal..teachers..the way they run it..their hashkafa..outlook in life..and what they focus on.
Almost sounds too good to be true to have such a High school exist like that in Lakewood. I hope for my sisters sake and everyone else that goes there it just continues to run the way it is and I think they will be extremely successful!

After all this I hope you were referring to the Lakewood one Wink

Do u know if it's hard to get into Chedvas as my daughter would love to go there next year
Becuase she heard very good things about the school?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:11 pm
It’s an add on school to bnos Bracha so if you are that type then you shouldn’t have a hard time getting in.

Also please rememberer the school only has a ninth grade so you really are taking a risk going to a new school you might get lucky and it will turn out great but you can’t really know much with a first year school.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:33 am
My daughter is there and very happy. The administration is different, not the same as Bnos Brocha. They really listen to the girls. As my daughter says, they may not be able to do anything but at least they listen and try to understand. Very different from her elementary school experience. It is a breath of fresh air. The teachers are really kind, much less of that authoritative "do as I say because I am the boss" than other places.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:30 am
I hope it stays that way. Again it’s a first year and small school the school will grow very fast and I hope it really is a good school Lakewood needs it but it’s still a risk a new school.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:44 am
Sorry, just curious risky for what??

Don't think its going to close down - they have an existing building to be in and the owner has pledged $$ for this.

Don't think they're going to change their tune - Bnos Brocha is mostly working families and they are not catering to the elite yeshivish.

Don't think the staff is too shaky - principal is very experienced and is coming from another school in Lakewood.

I completely get that people want to go to established schools that have been around for a long while. But since the reality is that it can be difficult to get into schools, this is a really decent option if its the type of school someone is interested in for their child. I don't think the fact that its new will change it.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:01 am
Risky in that first of all this principal every year is by a new job she was principal of Bais kaila then offered a better job being principal of shalva high school now chedvas took her so yes if principal leaves in the first three years a school can fall apart.

Next if it grows too big too fast which is what happens in Lakewood can they financially handle it will they hire appropriate staff to accommodate so many girls

Next their idealism will it really last.

Wil they be a good school and listen to the girls when there are forty kids per class which will happen in Lakewood.

There are so many concerns to a brand new school. These are only some of them.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:10 am
Interesting. I hear your points. Thanks for sharing!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:18 pm
Personally I had a choice to send there or to a more established school and chose the old school.
I heard very good things about chedvas but I also know from past experience that new places care more about their reputation than each individual child!
I hope it won't be the case there but didn't want to take a chance!
I might send my next daughter in a couple of years when I'll know more how things are going.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Personally I had a choice to send there or to a more established school and chose the old school.
I heard very good things about chedvas but I also know from past experience that new places care more about their reputation than each individual child!
I hope it won't be the case there but didn't want to take a chance!
I might send my next daughter in a couple of years when I'll know more how things are going.

This is a rather ironic thing to say about a new school vs. an older school in Lakewood, given what goes on in some of Lakewood's older, more established schools....

I know someone who had several daughters in an older school in Lakewood, and switched their next daughter to a newer high school because they had simply had enough with their daughters being treated like another product on the factory line.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:49 pm
Chayalle wrote:
This is a rather ironic thing to say about a new school vs. an older school in Lakewood, given what goes on in some of Lakewood's older, more established schools....

I know someone who had several daughters in an older school in Lakewood, and switched their next daughter to a newer high school because they had simply had enough with their daughters being treated like another product on the factory line.

You could be right! I hear both sides! Truthfully I had this experience with boys mesivtas a few times! I don't have much experience with girls high schools yet! One DD in 11th grade and one in 9th!
I guess there are pros and cons to both types of schools!!
It's actually rare to get a much of a choice for high schools in Lakewood so wherever they end up is the place to be!! LOL
P.s: AFAIK Chedvas already has 2 classes of about 40 girls so next year won't be so "small" anymore!!(160 girls?)

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:54 am
How is Chedvas academically?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:59 am
Mrs Jaffe is a brilliant lady with the ability to break down even The hardest concepts to understandable level. That being said they are tracking. There are three levels with the majority being in the middle and smaller classes going up and down. What I like is the fact that the girls can track themselves. There is no shame in either direction. They encourage them to take on what they can handle. A girl can go higher in one subject and lower in another.
Yes, I am a Bnos Brocha parent with daughters in another high school. I am probably going to keep my high academic, super bright daughter in Chedvas. I like what I’m hearing and I love the confidence Bnos Brocha instilled in each of my kids. It is a new high school and there is a risk in how the school will turn out but I love the BB parent body and hope like minded families join.
Here’s to hoping every single 8th grader finds their school right away.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:13 pm
For chumash, they started off a bit slowly at first which I thought was nice. They wanted to ease the girls into it, but now are up to full level. At first, my daughter was so bewildered - like this is high school, 8th grade was way harder! But it quickly moved up! I think a lot of the teachers teach in other high schools too, so the classes are comparable to others and a normal level of demanding - nothing insane either way for my child who is a hardworking, bright student. Sufficiently challenging for a good student and understanding of the ones who aren't so academic. My school experience was more like "hit you over the head, dump you in the water, and try not to sink" so I appreciated the thoughtfulness. I think a lot of the decisions made are careful and caring.

I think there are 56 girls divided into 2 classes this year. Not 40 in each class as another posted said. So next year there will be presumably about 100 girls in the school.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:07 am
What is the parent body in chedvas ? What schools do the girls come from besides bnos bracha ?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:42 pm
anyone? what other schools besides bnos bracha are girls coming from? whats the crowd like?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 12:00 am
Lots of different elementary schools. My DD is going into 12th grade.
Great school, amazing staff. They really care about each of the girls and they do what’s right/best for their girls without worrying about what anyone else will say/think.

ETA there are a bunch of threads about Chedvas, most more recent than this one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics