Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you know a depressed Aliza or Simcha?
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
This is an interesting question. My father named my brother Simcha for similar reasons and he's a super happy kid, people are always fast to make the connection. He is still a kid though.

Usually it’s said that if you name after a person, the child usually inherits that person’s personality.

TheNeutralOne

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Please explain..

R’ Chaim is quoted as saying that the source for the name Simcha is in Gemara Sukkah 48b...(he writes the text of the Gemara)... and it seems apparently the origin of the name was someone who was not a good person. He says some “allow” the name because it’s a nice name regardless of origin.

If you have access to the Sefer, read it inside. It is discussed in 3 places (pages 50-51, 68, 91) in greater detail than this post.

Hope that helps.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:09 pm
Sounds like a good idea. Did you consider the name Menucha as well? Or Shulamis? Something for calmness and tranquility. B’sha’ah Tova!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:19 pm
TheNeutralOne wrote:
R’ Chaim is quoted as saying that the source for the name Simcha is in Gemara Sukkah 48b...(he writes the text of the Gemara)... and it seems apparently the origin of the name was someone who was not a good person. He says some “allow” the name because it’s a nice name regardless of origin.

If you have access to the Sefer, read it inside. It is discussed in 3 places (pages 50-51, 68, 91) in greater detail than this post.

Hope that helps.

I know a Simcha (female) whose parents were told to name her Simcha by the previous Bobover Rebbe (R' Shlomo) because she was born on Simchas Torah.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Usually it’s said that if you name after a person, the child usually inherits that person’s personality.

I'm not sure where this comes from, but it is a common misconception. It also does not elevate the neshama (according to our Rav). Naming for someone is out of respect for the living, just as is the case with may other mitzvas.

TheNeutralOne

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I know a Simcha (female) whose parents were told to name her Simcha by the previous Bobover Rebbe (R' Shlomo) because she was born on Simchas Torah.

Cool 😎

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:32 pm
My DDs name is Simcha. Everyone says she does honor to her name

Just as a side story. When she was in HS she called a girl in her class. The mom answered, she asked who it was. Simcha. She answered sorry my daughter doesn’t talk to boys, and hung up. 😂
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names