Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Jerusalem mikva on Zayit Raanan
Previous  1  2

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 5:53 am
I've never been there but possibly the women describing it as unpleasant have not been there recently, and are basing their descriptions on memories from before it was renovated?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:13 am
BS"D

Dearest OP,

I totally understand your anxiety re going to the mikvah in a country/place that's not your hometown.
For many women, going to the mikvah makes one feel vulnerable and nervous, and if in a city/country that one isn't familiar with the nervous feeling is only heightened.

I remember when I was visiting the US for the very first time, going to the mikvah fell out on a Friday night! I remember how nervous I was, and uncomfortable b/c I had to ask my relative who was hosting us if I could use her bathroom for the mikvah preps. And we're not talking about a quick shower. And on the busiest day of the week -Friday, when her family also had to shower for Shabbos!
And then walking to the mikvah, trying to remember the directions my host gave me, and getting confused by the Avenues/Streets no.s. But I b"H got there, after asking some women on the way for instructions, and it was a lovely experience. B"H.

Precious OP, I don't know your name but Hashem does, and I daven with all my heart that you will also have a beautiful experience going to the mikvah in the Holy City Yerushalayim.

I, personally, haven't been to the Tzanz mikvah on Rechov Zaayis Raanan, but I heard that it is one of the most beautiful mikvaos in Yerushalayim.

Just trying to be helpful: did you choose to go to Tzanz mikvah b/c it is near to where you are staying while in Yerushalayim? Or, was it recommended to you?
Some women like going to a mikvah that's close to where they live or are staying b/c it's easier to get there, while others prefer to go to a mikvah further away - not in their neighborhood.
If you prefer one near to where you are staying, then perhaps check out those mikvaos. I also don't know in which neighborhood you are staying, and perhaps Tzanz is near you.

- I'm already living in Israel several decades and can tell you that in general, nowadays, the mikvaos in Israel/Yerushalayim are more updated/renovated and much nicer than they were several decades ago, and have toilets in the rooms with bathtubs, not sure about the shower room.
- The woman at the desk and the baalanits (mikvah attendents) in general are very nice, calming and helpful esp. if you tell them that you don't live in Israel and thus the mikvaos are unfamilar to you.
Ask for what you need, and they'll willingly give it to you.
- If you want to go to Tzanz then you have to make an appt. 2 days before the mikvah day.
- For other mikvaos: if you want to go early- at the first shift - when the mikvah opens, then find out what time the mikvah opens (usually 1 - 1.5 hours before the shkiah) and be there on time b/c the rooms get taken very fast by other earlycomers, and find out how much it costs
FYI some mikvaos take a fee for an extra towel, new toothbrush and some other necessary items. Either bring your own stuff or extra small change if needed.

May Hashem Bless your mikvah experience in Yerushalayim to be the most inspiring and magnificent that you've ever felt.

With love.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:23 am
Wow! Thank you Amother Brunette! That was beautiful!

Another question. If I make an appointment am I guaranteed that room? Or if someone walks in before me they'll get it?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:29 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]How's it possible that some women say it's so beautiful, and some say it's downright horrible??

Different people - different opinions, different experiences, different expectations.
As with everything in life.
Like choosing a hospital where to give birth: some people might say, "I only got to XYZ hospital; it's the best. The labor rooms are.... the midwives....,"
while others might say,
"XYZ hospital! I hated it there!!! I'm never going there again!!!"

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:33 am
gold2 wrote:
Can you tell me more about zonnenfeld mikvah, where it is located and how nice it is etc...

It's on zonnenfeld in bais yisrael. On the corner of Reichman. 02-5370931

I think the address is 27 zonenfeld. It looks like it's in a shul, right across from the huge shul with the green gate. Entrance is on the left side, you kind of have to walk toward the back of the building (follow the chlorine smell Wink ) Call them if you can't find it, and they'll come OUTSIDE and get you!
The mikvah ladies are sooooo nice. Tell them you're american, and they'll talk slower for you. I couldnt find a babysitter once, so I called them and asked if I can bring my baby. They babysat him by the front desk while I went!
The rooms are nice and very clean. You don't need an appointment.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How's it possible that some women say it's so beautiful, and some say it's downright horrible??

I do need davka this mikva.

If I request the kallah room will it be fine? How much in advance do I have to make an appointment to get it first shift?

How much does it cost?

Everyone has different standards, and also every gets a different room! Some rooms are better than others. When I went, there was a communal bathroom (2 years ago). Maybe the kallah room has a toilet?

gold2

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It's on zonnenfeld in bais yisrael. On the corner of Reichman. 02-5370931

I think the address is 27 zonenfeld. It looks like it's in a shul, right across from the huge shul with the green gate. Entrance is on the left side, you kind of have to walk toward the back of the building (follow the chlorine smell Wink ) Call them if you can't find it, and they'll come OUTSIDE and get you!
The mikvah ladies are sooooo nice. Tell them you're american, and they'll talk slower for you. I couldnt find a babysitter once, so I called them and asked if I can bring my baby. They babysat him by the front desk while I went!
The rooms are nice and very clean. You don't need an appointment.

How modern is it? Nicer than zayis raanan, or more old fashioned?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:39 am
I used the one on Zait Raanan.
place is warm, welcoming, nice and clean!
Used it as a kalla before my wedding and later one when visiting.
They had an English speaking lady who was very nice. I recall yes bathroom in a tub room. Must have an appointment and must be on time. They have all, but every item cost $1-2 TO USE. a clean robe, a towel etc. Locals bring from home, but for me I was happy to pay and enjoy the services. (goign to a M, a form of Tzedaka anyway). easy to find. Bldg has a big wall to hide you from viewers. always can walk over to a lady and whisper to her to point out. for me it was very easy to find. yes, rooms are smaller, like all real estate in Jm, but it was a nice welcoming experience!! I wouldnt look anywhere else. its my go to when I am in JM.
Beitar B also has a nice welcoming one.
RBS - Had a hard time finding one, ended up in wrong one , they didnt accept $ or CC, Cash only, and robe was paper thin. but balanit was soooo nice and it was a zchus to meet her on my tevila night.
Hatzlacha!

gold2

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I used the one on Zait Raanan.
place is warm, welcoming, nice and clean!
Used it as a kalla before my wedding and later one when visiting.
They had an English speaking lady who was very nice. I recall yes bathroom in a tub room. Must have an appointment and must be on time. They have all, but every item cost $1-2 TO USE. a clean robe, a towel etc. Locals bring from home, but for me I was happy to pay and enjoy the services. (goign to a M, a form of Tzedaka anyway). easy to find. Bldg has a big wall to hide you from viewers. always can walk over to a lady and whisper to her to point out. for me it was very easy to find. yes, rooms are smaller, like all real estate in Jm, but it was a nice welcoming experience!! I wouldnt look anywhere else. its my go to when I am in JM.
RBS - Had a hard time finding one, ended up in wrong one , they didnt accept $ or CC, Cash only, and robe was paper thin. but balanit was soooo nice and it was a zchus to meet her on my tevila night.
Hatzlacha!

nowadays you don't need to pay for anything extra. it's 70 shekel for a bath with everything included.

if you only book a shower appt then you don't get all the extras but you do get a towel and the absolute basics included in your price.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:32 am
gold2 wrote:
How modern is it? Nicer than zayis raanan, or more old fashioned?

I only remember the outside of zayis raanan, with all the fancy trees. Was so pretty. I don't remember the inside because I left the second I realized there's a communal toilet.
The zonenfeld one is very nice. It doesn't have the pretty foliage outside, but it does look nice and pretty and clean. It's also smaller, fewer prep rooms.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:51 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:

Where??
I've been to the one on Mutzafi and Maharitz and I can't stand them after going to Jslm mikvos...

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:14 pm
OP, if you can post afterwards how you found the experience I'd be curious to hear your take on it.

Hatzlocha!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Its VERYYYYYY different than American mikvaos.

Request a room with a bath even if you're not taking a bath because the shower rooms are TINY.

Bring along whatever you need because they don't always have supplies there.

Be ready for a completely different experience than the one you have in America.

Regarding finding it, you'll see random trees in middle of the sidewalk, that's where the mikva is.

Also, you need to call to make an appointment. 02-500-4718
It's an automated system. Call up to 3 days in advance (try calling early so you get the time slot that you want)

Maybe it changed since I lived there 10 yrs ago, but in my experience:
-It’s a beautiful place (ok then it was newer)
- There was soft music playing in the background.
- best is to come half hr before shkia otherwise I had to wait in waiting room.
-I never booked any appts.
-Friday night they’re open only for dipping , not for prep during the day.(some other places open earlier and you can prep there if you don’t have a bath in your apt)
- After dipping, the mikva lady stays in the room until you come out of the mikva,(holding towel in a way that she can’t see you) once you’re wrapped in towel she shakes your hand and wishes you Besoros tovos etc. This is because some people have a minhag to touch something tahor before they leave the place.
(Where I live now, I need to request that she stay so I can see her, otherwise she flies out :-)
- I brought my own supplies.
-they had taffies on the reception desk for after mikva to mess up your teeth so I never had to bring.
- there’s a set of trees off the sidewalk, Behind them there’s a gate. Behind the gate there was a wide set of stairs, and on top of stairs on Left side is the door to the mikva.
I loved the place.
Hope it’s still as nice as it used to be!
ETA: my room always had a toilet as well.
I took the tub room bec I did the prep there so maybe that’s why. And I don’t remember needing to book appts but it sounds like nowadays maybe you do.
In any case no one would throw you out but better to book if they expect you to, and probably also to avoid waiting.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 2:11 pm
I'm a little bothered to read some inaccurate information.
yes, people rave about how gorgeous it is. I lived right near the sanz mikva and that was the only one I ever used (besides going once to the the stunning mikvah on agassi in har nof - which was run and built under the pikuach of the same person at the time, he's less involved in agassi now but runs the sanz one, and I know him personally). I never found it to be gorgeous, but its fine, and I never was bothered by the way it looked.

Any BATH ONLY rooms I've ever used DID HAVE A TOILET
if you reserve a shower only appointment they do not give you a room with a bathtub or toilet. There is one hallway with shower only rooms and they have one or two toilets to share.

Bath appt is 70 nis
Shower only appt is 40 nis

You do need an appointment

I dont think there was ever a time I went that there wasn't an english speaking balanit there. Even the israeli ones speak basic english, and with yiddish and english you should get by just fine.

If you do a shower only appt just make sure to use the toilet before you go in and get undressed.

I never loved the shampoo/soap they supplied but always only remembered when I got there, so I managed just fine Smile

What a poster wrote about the rooms having just one door - that means that when you come out of the shower room in your robe you walk down a hallway and I guess could technically bump into someone, but I have a feeling they have a method of that not happening because in all the years of my using that mikvah I never once bumped into someone when I was in a robe only in the hallway. not on the way to toivel, or the way back from toiveling.
One of the shower rooms does have a door to the mikva - I think that was room 2. its also newly redone and the biggest shower room.

I dont know if they'll let you have the kallah room. Never tried, but I've seen it and its really nice. I think one of them has a mikvah in the room. But if the reason for that was to have a toilet in the room all you need is a regular bath room.

You can make an appointment from 2 days before.
For example if you call in the afternoon on Monday it will say
for tonight, press zero (thats the operator)
for tomorrow night press 1
for wednesday night press 2

I only had good experience w/ the balaniyot, I know that people can say otherwise, but overall they are nice and courteous.

Just be aware that they do much more checking than you are used to in the states. People find this bothersome
(hands, feet, back, I've had them check my eyes for makeup and my earring holes)

(I moved away from that neighborhood just a few months ago)

ok enough rambling Smile

mochamix18

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 2:39 pm
Are these “American style” mikvaot? For a bath and everything it has only ever cost me ₪40, ₪20 for just a shower and ₪15 if I bring my own towel. Anyway, never used the mikvah you’re asking about OP, but I wish you a lot of hatzlacha and bracha.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:32 pm
mochamix18 wrote:
Are these “American style” mikvaot? For a bath and everything it has only ever cost me ₪40, ₪20 for just a shower and ₪15 if I bring my own towel. Anyway, never used the mikvah you’re asking about OP, but I wish you a lot of hatzlacha and bracha.

I think the more expensive ones just mean they are privately run, not iriya mikvaos. I know for sure for this one in Sanz that is the case.

mochamix18

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:43 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I think the more expensive ones just mean they are privately run, not iriya mikvaos. I know for sure for this one in Sanz that is the case.

Ahh makes sense. I learn something new all the time 😃

photoeditor

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:24 pm
You can ask for kallahs room, it has bath and toilet with separate door in the room and the mikvah is in the room. The price, if I remember correctly, is the same as in places in America for regular mikvah, about 25$.
Not the cleanest, and def bring all ur own stuff. Even crocs or disposable slippers and towel and all. Didn’t find it to be so clean.

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 1:41 pm
mochamix18 wrote:

Doesn't help OP but just wanted to mention that I was very nervous about going to the mikve on my trip and was very pleasantly surprised by a gorgeous mikva in bnei brak!!
It was very clean, I paid 47 shekels for all supplies included (yours to keep after if you want, everybody gets their own!)
Each bathroom had their own door to mikve room.
Lady was very nice.
The only difference with mine here in the u.s was that I didn't get a bath robe just a towel!
No appointment necessary!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions