Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you wear shoes at home?
1  2  3  Next

Do you wear shoes at home?
Yes  
 17%  [ 52 ]
No  
 42%  [ 122 ]
I wear slippers  
 40%  [ 116 ]
Total Votes : 290

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:15 pm
The slippers thread got me wondering. Do you take off your shoes when you get home or keep them on?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:18 pm
Fuzzy sox!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:20 pm
I am a Jersey girl through and through. Married a canadian. We now take off our shoes as soon as we get in the door. I guess it is more sanitary this way. Totally grew up wearing shoes in the house though.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:22 pm
I wear slippers or sneakers. I can't go barefoot, I need something on my feet. DH and kids don't wear anything on their feet at home.

STMommy

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:24 pm
https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.a.....01%2F

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:30 pm
STMommy wrote:
https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1637780001?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15813878320799&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2F2019%2F07%2F03%2Fmy-shoes-dirty-studies-suggest-theyre-covered-fecal-bacteria%2F1637780001%2F

Yikes.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:13 pm
barefoot for as much of my life as possible.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:32 pm
We have a shoes off policy for anyone living in our home, but I don't say anything to guests. I'm so grossed out from that article, thinking about my crawling baby. Ugh. Dh and I wear Crocs and the kids mostly wear socks or are barefoot in the house.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:33 pm
Everyone is trained to take off their shoes at the door. Everyone in our family anyhow. I don't require my guests to do this though.

smile4ever

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:24 pm
I've been wanting to implement this in my home for a while now. My question is where are the other shoes kept? Do you have room for multiple pairs of shoes for each person near the door? Are shoes kept in bedrooms, but carried there at a later put in time? Shabbos shoes, heels, sneakers etc...

essie14

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:11 pm
I live in Israel with cold tiled floors so I wear crocs or flip flops indoors. My kids all walk around in sock but I personally don't like that. I hate keeping my shoes on. They come off as soon as I get home.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:30 pm
I usually take my shoes off when I get home, unless I know I have to go out again within the next hour or so. We all wear crocs at home.

smile4ever wrote:
I've been wanting to implement this in my home for a while now. My question is where are the other shoes kept? Do you have room for multiple pairs of shoes for each person near the door? Are shoes kept in bedrooms, but carried there at a later put in time? Shabbos shoes, heels, sneakers etc...

We have shoe cabinets in our hall (from Ikea -we have 2) . Whatever doesn't fit in there, goes into the garage.

Teomima

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:47 pm
We're not a shoe-free household per say, but none of us really like wearing shoes indoors.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:59 pm
We have a shoe-acceptance policy. You don't have to take off your shoes when coming into my house, but you don't have to wear shoes either. Especially in the winter, the floor is cold so I do almost always.

Rappel

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 1:24 am
In the winter yes. It's cold!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 2:35 am
My feet are almost always cold, and I have back problems so I always need to wear shoes with good support. If I don't wear proper shoes I end up in a lot of pain. I wish I could find fuzzy house slippers that had proper insoles and arch support. (Hmm, maybe I should design some. I could have a good business idea!)

I have to sweep at least once a day, and mop at least every other day. I have that stupid white Israeli tile that shows every single speck of dust, and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get it all clean.

I am a big stickler for wiping your feet on the doormat before you come in, though. My ex would step in dog poop, never wipe his shoes, and then would track poop all over the house. Then he'd blame my dog! I told him a million times to check his shoes, but he'd rather blame me and my dog instead of taking two seconds to wipe them on the mat. (Ugh. Good riddance. I pity his next victim.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 2:39 am
We dont have any policy in our home. Its do whatever you feel like. In the warm months, my husband and daughter walk around all of the time barefoot. I keep my sandals on. In the winter, DH and daughter wear slippers. I sometimes keep my uggs on if my feet are freezing. If not, I have fit flop warm clogs that I wear in and out of the house. My feet are never without shoes. I dont like how it feels. Even from my bed to the shower, I wear flip flops.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 2:50 am
Apparently the idea of shoes being unsanitary or unhealthy has been debunked. Wearing shoes or not is cultural, with Americans largely wearing shoes indoors while many places out of America hold that that's gross.
I grew up without any policy- just do what you want. But some people are makpid never to t walk around without shoes or slippers because it's something ppl in Aveilus do.

b.chadash

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 2:57 am
Heres an article by Ramit Sethi examining how this question is based on cultural assumptions. It referenced a NYTimes article on the subject.

https://www.iwillteachyoutober.....oors/

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 3:11 am
In summer I appreciate my cold floors, and shoes (normally sandals) come off soon after getting home. Socks stay on, unless I know I won't be going out again that day.

In winter the floors are too cold to be comfortable for long, and my shoes normally stay on. Or a random selection of crocs, slippers or sandals. Whatever is convenient, to provide a barrier between my bare feet and those icy floor tiles.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics