Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help with my pesach menu
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:02 am
Please don't get upset that I'm talking about pesach.

I have no idea why some people start to clean 2 months in advance because how in the world would it stay clean?

But things like planning my menu and planning all my orders- that makes so much sense to do an advance while I have time to think about.

I have a houseful and a newborn BH and no hired help and I'm going back to work soon so I won't have time to think about this later. I also live out of town and I have to order my food soon anyway.

Here goes:
1.Please help me figure out what to serve for shabbos on pesach- the 3rd day of the 3 day yuntif.

I have only made pesach at home a few times. The pesach chulents I tried to make were awful. Can anyone tell me how to make a yummy one without kitnius?

Or other ideas of what to eat that lunch?

2. I will have a crock pot on low and an oven on 190 or 200. I can't put anything in the oven on shabbos, but I can bake something at a low temp Friday afternoon for Friday night. What can I safely bake at a low temp?

Also, I would like to hear your favorite pesach recipes stam. I like simple, healthy and not too expensive.

Hatzlacha to us all!

mfb

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:08 am
You can either bake yapchik or make it in a crockpot for the day meal. I make cholent out of onions meat diced potatoes and shredded potatoes, so that the water gets a little thicker.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:11 am
For shabbos day you can do shnitzel (in ground almonds) or marinated cutlets at room temp, or London broil.

Or pesach cholent- use flanken, potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes.

Makes so much sense, I would atart planning but I want to wait for some recipes to come out in magazines and online.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have no idea why some people start to clean 2 months in advance because how in the world would it stay clean?

But things like planning my menu and planning all my orders- that makes so much sense to do an advance while I have time to think about.

I have a houseful and a newborn BH and no hired help and I'm going back to work soon so I won't have time to think about this later. I also live out of town and I have to order my food soon anyway.

Here goes:
1.Please help me figure out what to serve for shabbos on pesach- the 3rd day of the 3 day yuntif.

I have only made pesach at home a few times. The pesach chulents I tried to make were awful. Can anyone tell me how to make a yummy one without kitnius?

2. I will have a crock pot on low and an oven on 190 or 200. I can't put anything in the oven on shabbos, but I can bake something at a low temp Friday afternoon for Friday night. What can I safely bake at a low temp?

Also, I would like to hear your favorite pesach recipes stam. I like simple, healthy and not too expensive.

Hatzlacha to us all!

After 2 days of heavy Pesach meals, I'd go for lighter fare. I haven't even thought about it yet, to be honest. But would your family go for quinoa salad, salmon, or maybe grilled chicken cutlets with green salad?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:17 am
On Pesach for shabbos lunch I make yapchik instead of cholent. Simple. Make whatever you would make if you were making a potato kugel and layer flanken throughout. Since things fall out differently this year I will need to make ahead and freeze then put in crock pot or oven just before shabbos.
Friday night I'm going to keep simple because after 2 seders and 2 yt lunches people are already sick of big heavy meals. I might even just do a nice pot of chicken soup with generous amounts of chicken and veggies in it as the main.

egam

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:22 am
You can make a nice roast on 200 degrees. Chuck, top of the rib, brisket. Brisket will take the longest to cook, so plan accordingly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:34 am
Thanks for those responses!

I think I will do the meat stew with flanken for shabbos lunch.

Does anyone have good chicken cutlet recipes for pesach?
Can I safely bake cutlets at 200?

No meat Friday night. My budget is only a bit of meat of yuntif and chulent. Friday night chicken.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:36 am
allthingsblue wrote:
For shabbos day you can do shnitzel (in ground almonds) or marinated cutlets at room temp, or London broil.

Or pesach cholent- use flanken, potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes.

Makes so much sense, I would atart planning but I want to wait for some recipes to come out in magazines and online.

Thanks! Can you give me a recipe for the chulent so the meat comes out yummy? How much water vs solids and how much oil etc?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for those responses!

I think I will do the meat stew with flanken for shabbos lunch.

Does anyone have good chicken cutlet recipes for pesach?
Can I safely bake cutlets at 200?

No meat Friday night. My budget is only a bit of meat of yuntif and chulent. Friday night chicken.

For Shabbat, I would dip cutlets in potato starch, then egg, then almond crumbs or coconut flakes. Bake or grill.

My chicken marsala is also great for Pesach, but probably too liquidy for Shabbat. Sautee onions (or not) in combination of margarine and oil Dredge chicken breasts in potato starch and whatever spice you want. Brown on one side. Turn chicken over. Add sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup marsala wine, 1/2 cup sherry (I usually double this). Cover and cook about 10 minutes.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Can you give me a recipe for the chulent so the meat comes out yummy? How much water vs solids and how much oil etc?

I make Pesach cholent similar to the way of make beef stew . I don’t have amounts but this is more or less what I use:

Sautéed onion
Sautéed chunks of meet (kolichel meat is cheap and becomes very soft cooked low and slow)
Sliced celery
Sliced carrots
Sweet potaties cubed
Regular potatoes cubed and shredded
Salt
Black pepper
Paprika
A bit of ketchup
A bit of honey
Water

Let cook low and slow for many hours and keep in crockpot or on blech overnight.
The sweet potatoe ends up falling apart adding making thickening the sauce a bit.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:52 am
Mazel tov!
1) I never do cholent. I make yapchik every yr, and it's delicious!
2) don't make anything on Friday. Make something before y"t, freeze it, and warm it up on Friday to be ready for Friday night. 190/200 is perfect warming-up temperature!

I have a heaven menu and recipes. What are your food restrictions (besides chametz and kitnios!)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:55 am
SixOfWands wrote:
For Shabbat, I would dip cutlets in potato starch, then egg, then almond crumbs or coconut flakes. Bake or grill.

My chicken marsala is also great for Pesach, but probably too liquidy for Shabbat. Sautee onions (or not) in combination of margarine and oil Dredge chicken breasts in potato starch and whatever spice you want. Brown on one side. Turn chicken over. Add sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup marsala wine, 1/2 cup sherry (I usually double this). Cover and cook about 10 minutes.

Sounds yummy.
I will try the cutlets. How long/ what temp do you bake them at?

The chicken marsala is too many steps for my stage of life.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I do meat, potatoes, onions, water to cover. Spices: garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, a bit of Honey.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:01 am
I keep my pesach menu very simple and easy to cook.
All night meals:
Salmon and gefilta, horseradish
Chicken soup with egg noodles
Chicken bottoms with potato kugel, cucumber salad and beat salad
Apple compote for dessert.

Morning 1:
Salmon and gefilta
Veggie soup or squash soup
Minute steak, home fries, apple pie
Salads. Compote

Morning 2:
Salmon and gefilta
Veggie or squash soup
Capons stuffed with vegetable filling, potato chremzel, apple pie
Salads. Compote

Shabbos morning:
Kugel from the chalont
Salmon and gefilta
Eggs, sauted liver, lettuce salad
Chalont- Cheek meat and potato goulash. Goulash goes into croc pot right before shabbos starts.
Salads, compote for dessert.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:03 am
Here's a thread from last yr!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59594

I'm cerulean. AMA Wink

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I keep my pesach menu very simple and easy to cook.
All night meals:
Salmon and gefilta, horseradish
Chicken soup with egg noodles
Chicken bottoms with potato kugel, cucumber salad and beat salad
Apple compote for dessert.

Morning 1:
Salmon and gefilta
Veggie soup or squash soup
Minute steak, home fries, apple pie
Salads. Compote

Morning 2:
Salmon and gefilta
Veggie or squash soup
Capons stuffed with vegetable filling, potato chremzel, apple pie
Salads. Compote

Shabbos morning:
Kugel from the chalont
Salmon and gefilta
Eggs, sauted liver, lettuce salad
Chalont- Cheek meat and potato goulash. Goulash goes into croc pot right before shabbos starts.
Salads, compote for dessert.

When do you bake chicken bottoms? In advance and rewarm? Does it taste good that way?
As I said, my oven will be on 200 so baking fresh means doing it that low. How do I e en do that safely?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When do you bake chicken bottoms? In advance and rewarm? Does it taste good that way?
As I said, my oven will be on 200 so baking fresh means doing it that low. How do I e en do that safely?

I make everything in advance. I never cook on Yom tov. Everything tastes very good and fresh rewarmed.
If you want to bake meat on 200, it needs to bake at least 6 hours.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:26 pm
I do Chulent but I add a frozen kishka AND grated potato in addition to cut up potatoes. I also put a potato kugel which turns into an overnight kugel.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Here goes:

Hatzlacha to us all!

Shredded potato cholent comes out amazing. Try it.

Something that can bake slowly in the oven on Friday is shredded beef. Or a rotisserie chicken. Par-boiled baby potatoes can be placed in a pan near that pan of beef/chicken to slow bake as well. You call also slow bake a one pan minute steak and Yukon gold potato slice dish. For vegetables, serve cold cucumber salad, cole slaw, carrot salad, beef salad - all can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.

Most of what I cook on pesach is what I cook all year. What does your family like during the year?

little neshamala

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I make everything in advance. I never cook on Yom tov. Everything tastes very good and fresh rewarmed.
If you want to bake meat on 200, it needs to bake at least 6 hours.

I dont cook on YT either but ive always stuck with foods I know are easy to rewarm like meat....
Youve frozen and reheated cooked chicken bottoms? Schnitzel? How? Can you give me details on how you warmed it, like do you let it defrost first, or put straight in oven? What temp? Covered or uncovered?
Have you ever done that with potato blintzes?
I need all the advice on reheating I can get!!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics