Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
RSV in a 4 month old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:29 am
Is it common?
Or dangerous? Well, I guess every virus can potentially be dangerous....

I wanted to know if the cold weather makes it worse. Or what would make it worse ? My dd is travelling (with 4 kids) out of her relatively mild weather city to my house this shabbos. She has a family Simcha on her dh’s side. It’s way colder here and wanted to make sure I have what she needs for him. I have a humidifier.
Anything else?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:47 am
RSVP is a virus . nothing to do with vaccines. more likely the baby was around someone with a cold.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:52 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
RSVP is a virus . nothing to do with vaccines. more likely the baby was around someone with a cold.

Baby probably picked it up in the drs waiting room.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:53 am
Rsv often just presents as a cold and is more common than you think.. It is much more of concern in children who are immunocompromised such as preemies or with other medical needs and that is where the risk of hospitalizations or it affecting them is a much bigger concern.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:03 am
There's a vitamin from the company herbari called v-free. My sister used it on a 2 month old. Mrs. Apter from Monsey told her abt it. I am currently doing it on my 4 yr old who has croup the third time in 3 months. It's really working.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:04 am
My original intent of this post wasn’t to blame.
Just wanted to know what I can do or make sure to have on hand for this little guy.

Does the cold weather exacerbate it?
As long as he himself is warm enough & bundled up I assume he should be ok.

My dd has a long walk to this Simcha & needs to take baby with her b/c she is nursing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:13 am
tweety1 wrote:
There's a vitamin from the company herbari called v-free. My sister used it on a 2 month old. Mrs. Apter from Monsey told her abt it. I am currently doing it on my 4 yr old who has croup the third time in 3 months. It's really working.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:15 am
tweety1 wrote:

Do you know where I can buy it?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:21 am
I work in a medical center and have seen RSV in non vaccinated and vaccinated infants alike.

RSV can go 2 ways -it can be mild, or it can be moderate/severe. There is no way to know in advance how your child will do. If the child develops breathing difficulty, breathing fast, lethargic etc, these are reasons to be very concerned. I have found that giving the child nebulizers with saline frequently during the course of RSV seems to help.

dankbar

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:28 am
RSV in little baby can be dangerous.

If you go to ER they admit right away for monitoring/suctioning. Depends how his oxygen level is.

When I was at kimp Heim with my baby, one baby in nursery developed RSV. Guess which one? The crunchy mom's one. The one with homebirth, no vaccines, no antibiotics. She was sent home & told to take her newborn to hospital but she refused.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:26 am
RSV happens only in babies who are born. I am completely confident that there's a connection between birth and RSV.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:36 am
My two preemies had RSV.

One had a mild case with just 3 days in the hospital (mild compared to my other one). The other one had it extremely severe, developed complications, was in the PICU for a few weeks and almost didn’t make it home.

They hadn’t received any vaccinations yet at that point. I know it’s human nature to find a cause for everything, but sometimes things just happen. It’s not the MMR. But I would be very careful with who comes next to the baby. No one who doesn’t HAVE TO touch the baby touches the baby. And whoever does take care of the baby uses sanitizer before.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:37 am
A baby with RSV should not be brought to a simcha they should be kept home so they can be away from more germs and rest/sleep properly.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:50 am
mommyhood wrote:
A baby with RSV should not be brought to a simcha they should be kept home so they can be away from more germs and rest/sleep properly.

This!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:22 am
Newborns have vaccines every 8 weeks. Of course anytime they get sick "it was around the time of the vaccine "

funmother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:39 am
Hi, b'h I have had simchas with little babies like these
your daughter will feel full and uncomfortable, but for the sake of the baby can she pump a bottle or two before shabbos and leave the the baby with you?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:40 am
Get a nose frida to help keep his nasal passage clear

NurseK

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:44 am
RSV often hits young infants hard. Get a nebulizer with vials of saline (or albuterol if her doctor orders). Suction nose as needed. Tylenol for fever. Keep baby home with pumped bottle in order to monitor him. Keep on eye on his breathing.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know where I can buy it?

My local health food store sells it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:32 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
RSV happens only in babies who are born. I am completely confident that there's a connection between birth and RSV.

Is this supposed to be funny?

I don’t find the humour in discussing a sick 4 month old. As I stated 2x, my initial post was reaching out to find options to help my dd with her sick baby.

Turns out they’re not coming as he’s too sick to travel.

Any sarcastic comments to add to that ???
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics