Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
[gentile] buying sefer?
Previous  1  2

GAMZu

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 12:05 am
technic wrote:
gigi wrote:
my husband just bought meam loez beraishi,s for a coworker, who was very interested in it.
they are mormons and her husband is a mormon priest.

they wont b inviting u over 4 coffee then Wink

lol! Very Happy LOL
Did I mention how glad I am to have you back?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 12:20 am
this thread reminds me... ab out 7 years ago a black non jew came into the office where I worked (a jewish newspaper) saying he wants to place an ad. I asked him what he wants to advertise? "A sefer my chavrusa wrote." I nearly fell onto the floor. this was no [gentile],this was a gioress!!! She looked like man (shaved head, no jewelry or makeup) and had a very deep voice, so I was a bit freaked out. We spoke for a long time, she showed me her certificate of conversion. She ended up putting an ad in the paper that she's looking for a shidduch. She married a satmar guy from williamsburg and they were married about six years.(They recently got divorced). Some of you crown heightsers might know her; she was originally lubavitch after her geirus and got married in crown heights. She became something of her own kind of Jew; wears black, a tichel only, learns seforim like a man, has a genius of a head, you can't keep up with her. anyway, this thread inspired this trip down memory lane with a '[gentile] buyying a sefer' - in this case it was seomoen I thought was a [gentile] advertising a sefer...!

Blossom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 12:26 am
Mama Bear, I think I know her and am sorry to hear she's divorced. I remember her wedding in CH.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 12:28 am
You knwo what, I really have to verify for 100% that she got divorced - someone told thsi to me yesterday (becauseapparently her ex is engaged). I'll ask around and confirm this.

technic

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:18 am
gamzu...ty Very Happy

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:34 am
ny21 wrote:
A arab tenant once asked my family to get him a map of

Israel - they refused ./

More Arabs should take a look at a map of Israel!!!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:39 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I have a good online friend who is not Jewish but wants very much to learn more because she is begining to see the holes in Christianity.
I give her advice about where to buy seforim but I tell her that the books are holy and musn't be thrown out or be on the floor etc.
You wouldn't believe these non jews. They try to do a Pesach seder, they build "tents" on Succos and they read from the Parsha every Saturday. They want to keep mitzvos because they love God. It's amazing. I keep telling her that as a non Jew she doesn't need to keep mitzvos but she really WANTS to. Rolling Eyes

Maybe she wants to convert.

I am a geyroes and worried that people wouldn't want to give me advice about what to read etc...when I was first starting out because they felt it was inappropriate to help a [gentile] learn Torah. It really is a question for a Rav, though.

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:39 am
It is interesting that the Rasta guy wanted to learn Luzzato. It is not that it is such a "hip" thing to learn. Who knows, he may be serious...

Rabbi Manis Friedman once suggested an Arab go get a chumash to see what G-d said and what He didn't say. This guy wanted to convert, but Manis Friedman was actually discouraging him (as is the practice), but even though he wasn't a prospective convert, he suggested he read a Chumash...so I guess it may be okay for a potential ben Noach...but as others have said. Ask a rav.

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:42 am
louche wrote:
I resent kabbalah being "in style". All of a sudden the whole world wants a part of judaism--but do they want the nitty-gritty reality of kashering a kitchen for Pesach, not taking the car on Shabbos, or keeping kosher while on assignment in Fargo, North Dakotah? Of course not--they go straight for the "dessert" of mysticism. This year kabbalah, next year it'll be Taoism or Jainism or Scientology. Moichel Toives.

Actually, I have heard it is questionable to teach a [gentile] halacha, but Shaar Yichud v'Emunah, written by the Baal ha Tanya (this I guess may be in the category of Kabbala) is something than can, and in some cases, should be learned by everyone, even non jews...(Heard this in a shiur). Other parts of Tanya, however, are off limits to non-Jews.

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:43 am
technic wrote:
gigi wrote:
my husband just bought meam loez beraishi,s for a coworker, who was very interested in it.
they are mormons and her husband is a mormon priest.

they wont b inviting u over 4 coffee then Wink

maybe decaf...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics