Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Soon By You
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:34 pm
Those of you who have watched Soon By You and followed the episodes, what do you think of the most recent episode just released?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:42 pm
I loved season one but season two so far is just a series of infomercials for fringe organizations.
IMO

Zehava

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:44 pm
Watched it. It’s really corny IMO.

happy to be me

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:50 pm
Didn't watch them all but it looks like they are trying too hard to be like Friends.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:53 pm
I enjoyed it but very disturbed about the direction it's going in. I allowed my dd to watch the first 3, but afterwards it's not appropriate anymore.
A sad commentary on where MO is holding.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:53 pm
Soon by You released a new episode? Cool. I know I'm a bit primitive in tastes, but I loved them.
I thought they were done now that Leah and Jennifer got married...
Where can I see it?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:54 pm
happy to be me wrote:
Didn't watch them all but it looks like they are trying too hard to be like Friends.

They admit that outright.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:56 pm
There's too much advertisement and the script is unfortunately not that good.

They need better writing.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I enjoyed it but very disturbed about the direction it's going in. I allowed my dd to watch the first 3, but afterwards it's not appropriate anymore.
A sad commentary on where MO is holding.

The show isn't produced by "MO".

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

It’s not?

Zehava

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:01 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
It’s not?

Ah well some otd cameos and the cast is clearly not Frum

Odelyah

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Those of you who have watched Soon By You and followed the episodes, what do you think of the most recent episode just released?

what I think is... Oy Sad

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:08 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
It’s not?

No its not.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:21 pm
Zehava wrote:
Ah well some otd cameos and the cast is clearly not Frum

some are and some aren't. Leah Gottfried is and the girl who plays the friend who's name I'm forgetting who is dating Jacob the feminist is too, I'm pretty sure. Leah was wearing a sheitel. On the other hand some of the actors aren't even Jewish-- I was really surprised about Sarah the artist-- she seemed pretty authentic to me but the actor who plays her is Mormon! Smile Danny who plays David is also MO I think.

Just FTR I think Leah's character Sarah Jacobs is fantastic and she keeps getting better Heart

but still on the whole the last episode made me really sad, and I will leave it at that for now..

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

ok, let me clarify.
I KNOW the show isnt produced by MO. It is produced by a few private people who identify as MO. The show is billed as young modern orthodox singles in their 20s etc.
The real point I was trying to make is that the issue of gay and queer youth is "trending" (for lack of a better word) in the MO world, as evidenced by what is going on in YU.
The show is simply reflecting that, AND taking a position.

I dont watch too many movies and have a very low bar in terms of profesionalism, so I actually loved the first few episodes. I even liked the last one, except that it disturbed me for hashkafic reasons.
It bothered me terribly that they included Abbey Stein in the last show. Like, why???? What are they trying to prove??
Besides for the fact that every female in all the episodes were dressed tzanua (long sleeves, etc.) But Abbey stein (shes a woman,right?????) Was dressed in short sleeves and tight pants. Bit ridiculous and hypocritical. Mad

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Soon by You released a new episode? Cool. I know I'm a bit primitive in tastes, but I loved them.
I thought they were done now that Leah and Jennifer got married...
Where can I see it?

Just google it. Season 2 episode 2

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:59 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
ok, let me clarify.
I KNOW the show isnt produced by MO. It is produced by a few private people who identify as MO. The show is billed as young modern orthodox singles in their 20s etc.
The real point I was trying to make is that the issue of gay and queer youth is "trending" (for lack of a better word) in the MO world, as evidenced by what is going on in YU.
The show is simply reflecting that, AND taking a position.

I dont watch too many movies and have a very low bar in terms of proffesionalism, so I actually loved the first few episodes. I even liked the last one, except that it disturbed me for hashkafic reasons.
It bothered me terribly that they included Abbey Stein in the last show. Like why???? What are they trying to prove??
Besides for the fact that every female in all the episodes were dressed tzanua (long sleeves, etc.) But Abbey stein (shes a woman,right?????) Was dressed in shorts and tight pants. Bit ridiculous and hypocritical. Mad

I don't see the hypocrisy. The characters are wearing clothing that makes sense for their characters.

I don't think they were trying to prove anything.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:09 pm
I was asking because I'm more on the yeshivish side and the episode bothered me, and I was wondering how a more varied group of women felt.

I also was wondering, and this episode highlighted my question even more, how realistic is it that these characters are all being careful of shomer negiah? I have some MO relatives and friends, and I've asked a few of them how shomer negiah works with long term dating relationships (I found it SO hard with my 3 1/2 months of seeing each other once every few weeks), and they've all told me it doesn't, and that they weren't so careful. So I'm just wondering, for those of you who dated the way these characters are dating, how did shomer negiah work? Do you think the show is realistic?

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was asking because I'm more on the yeshivish side and the episode bothered me, and I was wondering how a more varied group of women felt.

I also was wondering, and this episode highlighted my question even more, how realistic is it that these characters are all being careful of shomer negiah? I have some MO relatives and friends, and I've asked a few of them how shomer negiah works with long term dating relationships (I found it SO hard with my 3 1/2 months of seeing each other once every few weeks), and they've all told me it doesn't, and that they weren't so careful. So I'm just wondering, for those of you who dated the way these characters are dating, how did shomer negiah work? Do you think the show is realistic?

I think there is only one couple actually in a relationship - and seem to be at the "I love you stage", I think its realistic that they are shomer negia, but if there were several couples at this stage, it wouldn't be realistic. Also - this 'I love you' couple would be getting engaged soon to be realistic.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:24 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I was asking because I'm more on the yeshivish side and the episode bothered me, and I was wondering how a more varied group of women felt. /quote]
Just watched it. It bothered me alot. I don't think I'll be watching more episodes, but that doesn't mean much for your 'poll' since I'm all the way on the right to begin with.

Hashkafic reasons aside, I found it very boring. I loved all previous ones, but this one seemed to be just about an agenda. It didn't just seem to be, it actually was, as proven by the advertisers.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics