Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
If you live in a small apartment
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:39 pm
Where do you keep your stock of paper towels, tissues, toilet paper, shampoo etc.. I bought large bins and some are stuffed on the floor of a closet but its just become a mess. Any ideas? Its become desperate as this room also doubles as my kids room

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:48 pm
I moved not too long ago. I stored on top of fridge, on top of big freezer- was my official paper towel shelf. Shampoo went under the sink in the bathroom. I also bought a shelf that goes above the toilet. It was a stack of shelves. There we kept toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, deodorant, lens care, etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:52 pm
Build UP. Look at your ceilings, and see if you have a foot or two of unused space there. I'll bet you do. Put up shelves wherever you can. While you're at it, invest in a step ladder that is sturdy and won't tip over easily.

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:57 pm
Shelves above my washer, with a curtain in front of them for neatness

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:58 pm
We don’t stock up more than we have room for. No Costco room in a small apartment. Buy when you need (Amazon has subscription on many items that you can lock in the price for and they’ll deliver on a monthly basis)

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where do you keep your stock of paper towels, tissues, toilet paper, shampoo etc.. I bought large bins and some are stuffed on the floor of a closet but its just become a mess. Any ideas? Its become desperate as this room also doubles as my kids room

We don't stock up on anything, we buy as we need. We don't have where to keep stock.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I only buy enough for the week. 1 extra bottle of shampoo and toiletries and when I reach for the extra one I right away write the item on my shopping list that's on the fridge. I learned that living in a calm environment is worth the extra few cents I pay per item by not buying by the case.

Newmom#1

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

On Amazon you can find shelves to store in shower/bath (like hotels) or hanging from shower head for shampoos, soaps, towels etc...

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:34 pm
We never stocked up on these things when I lived in small apartments. We bought as needed. We fit toilet paper in the vanity cabinet and if it didn’t fit than it meant we had too much at a time and needed to cut down even more. I purchased 2 rolls of paper towel at a time and it hung on a paper towel holder under my upper kitchen cabinets.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 2:42 pm
We live in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment but it’s very small with no extra closet space. I keep extra toiletries under the master bathroom sink, extra toilet paper under the main bathroom sink (not a Costco amount but it’s enough for a few months for us). My cleaning supplies are in that bathroom cabinet too. Tissues and toilet paper fit in the bottom of my tiny linen closet, enough for a few weeks. Extra paper goods are in baskets on top of my pantry cabinet.

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:20 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
We never stocked up on these things when I lived in small apartments. We bought as needed. We fit toilet paper in the vanity cabinet and if it didn’t fit than it meant we had too much at a time and needed to cut down even more. I purchased 2 rolls of paper towel at a time and it hung on a paper towel holder under my upper kitchen cabinets.

If only. Here, they still sell toilet paper at 25 rolls per, and 6 rolls of paper towels per. Wipes, diapers, etc....I can't wait until we have proper storage someday.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:23 pm
We never stocked up when we were in a small apartment, my IL's would have given us free Costco stuff and we turned it down repeatedly because we had not room to store bulky items.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:57 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

So you basically are running to the store 5 times a day, and then the neighbors are laughing and saying those nebbys live in the store . Why are they going to Shoprite all day long

BTDT

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:05 pm
In kids closet, under their bunkbed, bathroom shelf, top of the kitchen cabinets.

This is actually a sticky point between dh and myself. He doesn't like having cases and boxes. I don't like running out of things. Plus, buying in bulk costs significantly less than one at a time locally.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:06 pm
I recently found a new spot to storage stuff- top of the sefarim shrank. It’s nice and hidden LOL
(Top of kitchen cabinets, breakfront, freezer washer/dryer all full )
Signed,
Mom in a one bedroom apt with 4 kids plus a ton of medical supplies.
Ps. Tissues and bounty etc don’t get much stocked up on but we’ve got experience storaging our monthly supplies.

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:54 pm
You need to switch mindframes. No stocking up. Buy only what you can fit and keep an eye on shampoo etc. levels, buying a new one only when running very low.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:08 pm
On top of the washer dryer. On The floor and top shelf in the coat closet.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:28 am
You can build a lower ceiling ("attic space") in your hallway by installing sheets of wood right on top of the door casing, which is usually a foot under the ceiling. Do this 6' at a time, so you can use a ladder to get up in between the sections.
You can store all kinds of things up there!

groovy1224

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:31 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
So you basically are running to the store 5 times a day, and then the neighbors are laughing and saying those nebbys live in the store . Why are they going to Shoprite all day long

BTDT

Or maybe her neighbors have a life and don't notice how often she shops for shampoo and toilet paper.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:35 am
Thanks for your replies. Hanging shelves is a good idea maybe ill get some for the bathroom
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics