Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Soon By You
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:26 pm
Odelyah wrote:
some are and some aren't. Leah Gottfried is and the girl who plays the friend who's name I'm forgetting who is dating Jacob the feminist is too, I'm pretty sure. Leah was wearing a sheitel. On the other hand some of the actors aren't even Jewish-- I was really surprised about Sarah the artist-- she seemed pretty authentic to me but the actor who plays her is Mormon! Smile Danny who plays David is also MO I think.

Just FTR I think Leah's character Sarah Jacobs is fantastic and she keeps getting better Heart

but still on the whole the last episode made me really sad, and I will leave it at that for now..

Right?!? I knew she wasn't Jewish, but up until this episode I felt she was so yeshivish. Not even RWMO. This episode her top is not yeshivish looking Wink

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was asking because I'm more on the yeshivish side and the episode bothered me, and I was wondering how a more varied group of women felt.

I also was wondering, and this episode highlighted my question even more, how realistic is it that these characters are all being careful of shomer negiah? I have some MO relatives and friends, and I've asked a few of them how shomer negiah works with long term dating relationships (I found it SO hard with my 3 1/2 months of seeing each other once every few weeks), and they've all told me it doesn't, and that they weren't so careful. So I'm just wondering, for those of you who dated the way these characters are dating, how did shomer negiah work? Do you think the show is realistic?

I think they are aiming for a realistic portrayal within the confines of halacha.
So while the share shabbat dinners and free mingling between the s',xes are probably pretty realistic, they are being careful not to violate halacha, (So therefore no touching.) even if that is not so realistic among that community.
Also dont forget, at least 3 of the actors are Frum. (Leah, Danny and Jennifer or sara, david and noa)
The other two men are not frum, I believe, and Sara Scur (Sara F) is not jewish.
So while they wouldn't mind touching, the frum actors probably would.
There was one scene in the wedding episode where they had David kind of look like he was about to kiss Sara. (In a daydream)

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I think they are aiming for a realistic portrayal within the confines of halacha.
So while the share shabbat dinners and free mingling between the s',xes are probably pretty realistic, they are being careful not to violate halacha, (So therefore no touching.) even if that is not so realistic among that community.
Also dont forget, at least 3 of the actors are Frum. (Leah, Danny and Jennifer or sara, david and noa)
The other two men are not frum, I believe, and Sara Scur (Sara F) is not jewish.
So while they wouldn't mind touching, the frum actors probably would.
There was one scene in the wedding episode where they had David kind of look like he was about to kiss Sara. (In a daydream)

I felt that way too. I guess it was intentional Wink Wink
Z is not frum? He's my fave!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:27 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I felt that way too. I guess it was intentional Wink Wink
Z is not frum? He's my fave!

Mine too!!! He is hysterial!! Though I find Sara J hysterical too. I loved the part in episode 3 where she has this date over Skype with the israeli chayal. I couldn't stop laughing!
Truth is I love all the actors. I find David and Sara F very likeable and they have great chemistry.
Ben is the biggest jerk, but he plays his part really well. Noa gets on my nerves a bit, her character is so intense. Jacob (the feminist) gives me the creeps. And I feel really sorry for kayla.
I dont love how they go over all the sponsors at the end. It's too much.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:44 am
Mine too!!! He is hysterial!! Though I find Sara J hysterical too. I loved the part in episode 3 where she has this date over Skype with the israeli chayal. I couldn't stop laughing!
Truth is I love all the actors. I find David and Sara J very likeable and they have great chemistry.
Ben is the biggest jerk, but he plays his part really well. Noa gets on my nerves a bit, her character is so intense. Jacob (the feminist) gives me the creeps. And I feel really sorry for kayla.
I dont love how they go over all the sponsors at the end. It's too much.

Ok. We have a couple of things in common lol! I think David's really good, as is Sara F. I though Jacob did well at the Donate org, but in this last episode, he bored me. Noa's intense, true, but she has fun times too. I like when she puts others in their place.
The more I see Sara J, the less I like her. But I can't take drama, so that's that.
(I love Leah when she's not acting Sara J, though, if that makes sense.)
I wouldnt mind seeing less of Kayla. Um. I guess that means she's playing her part well LOL I think Z is good to her. Don't feel bad. He's so kind.
I'm just grateful they do the sponsors at the end so that I can 'leave'. If theyd do it in the middle, it would be annoying. But every other show does it in the middle. There's no way they can leave it out.
Oh my! Can't believe I'm so obsessed! Feels like I'm back in high school!

s c

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:18 am
The last episode was actually quite boring and then out of nowhere came the LGBT issue. It was so random and strange and just seemed like virtue signalling, as if they have to reassure us how ok this all is nowadays, even with a rabbi. Is this supposed to be the new normal?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:31 am
s c wrote:
The last episode was actually quite boring and then out of nowhere came the LGBT issue. It was so random and strange and just seemed like virtue signalling, as if they have to reassure us how ok this all is nowadays, even with a rabbi. Is this supposed to be the new normal?

This was exactly my point, but you said it better! This is what they are dealing with in YU and in the MO world. And yes, it's the new normal in that world.
It made me very uncomfortable.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:45 am
Ok. We have a couple of things in common lol! I think David's really good, as is Sara F. I though Jacob did well at the Donate org, but in this last episode, he bored me. Noa's intense, true, but she has fun times too. I like when she puts others in their place.
The more I see Sara J, the less I like her. But I can't take drama, so that's that.
(I love Leah when she's not acting Sara J, though, if that makes sense.)
I wouldnt mind seeing less of Kayla. Um. I guess that means she's playing her part well LOL I think Z is good to her. Don't feel bad. He's so kind.
I'm just grateful they do the sponsors at the end so that I can 'leave'. If theyd do it in the middle, it would be annoying. But every other show does it in the middle. There's no way they can leave it out.
Oh my! Can't believe I'm so obsessed! Feels like I'm back in high school!

Lol, this is fun! I never watched movies in high school (still dont) so this is fun for me!

Re the sponsors, the problem here is that they do it twice, in the middle of the episode and again at the end. When the girl on the boat (chana?) Spoke about jQY and Eshel it sounded like an infomercial, and they repeated it all at the end.
Cool how they pointed out that Leah and Jennifer were both wearing wigs.
I actually like David in this episode. I find him endearing because he makes himself vulnerable without coming off as geeky or needy.
I don't think Z is good to Kayla. He is leading her on. But she is too blinded by love for him to see that he isnt into her (Though she seems to catch on at the end.)
I didn't get the whole hobby thing of Sara J. Didn't make so much sense.
And I like the recurring theme of her always ordering massive quantities of food. Funny!

elisheva25

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:25 am
I only watched now bc of this thread.
I didn’t know they were upto Season 2.
Yeah, last episode, personally wasn’t for me
I was disappointed.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:33 am
Lol, this is fun! I never watched movies in high school (still dont) so this is fun for me!

Re the sponsors, the problem here is that they do it twice, in the middle of the episode and again at the end. When the girl on the boat (chana?) Spoke about jQY and Eshel it sounded like an infomercial, and they repeated it all at the end.
Cool how they pointed out that Leah and Jennifer were both wearing wigs.
I actually like David in this episode. I find him endearing because he makes himself vulnerable without coming off as geeky or needy.
I don't think Z is good to Kayla. He is leading her on. But she is too blinded by love for him to see that he isnt into her (Though she seems to catch on at the end.)
I didn't get the whole hobby thing of Sara J. Didn't make so much sense.
And I like the recurring theme of her always ordering massive quantities of food. Funny!

Me too! But I have other favorites, more reality show type. Should I share, or not give you some silly things to spend/waste time on Wink ?
I like Ben too, even though he's not a very central figure. I think he's too good for Sarah.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:41 am
I saw it as just another proselytizing effort by the LGBT community (I was told they sponsored this episode)

There is no other group in the United States that proselytizes and demands outsiders validation anywhere nearly as aggressively as the LGBT community does. This was just another effort of theirs to say "See ? Even in the "Orthodox" community we have a presence. Now you really have no choice other than to accept us"

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:08 am
Leah Gottfried and Jessica Schechter are certainly frum (and married), and they are writers/producers as well as actors. Let’s not slander people.

If it made people sad or uncomfortable — well, it’s not subtle.

I love it, personally.

My favorite was the Goth girl who worked at HODS — she was really funny.

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I saw it as just another proselytizing effort by the LGBT community (I was told they sponsored this episode)

There is no other group in the United States that proselytizes and demands outsiders validation anywhere nearly as aggressively as the LGBT community does. This was just another effort of theirs to say "See ? Even in the "Orthodox" community we have a growing presence. Now you really have no choice other than to accept us"

sounds like you didn't actually watch the episode.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 1:47 pm
sequoia wrote:
Leah Gottfried and Jessica Schechter are certainly frum (and married), and they are writers/producers as well as actors. Let’s not slander people.

If it made people sad or uncomfortable — well, it’s not subtle.

I love it, personally.

My favorite was the Goth girl who worked at HODS — she was really funny.

We said twice that Leah and Jessica are frum.
So is david.
I liked the Goth girl too! They should bring her back. I really liked that waiter from the first episode, and the wedding episode. So funny!

booboo24

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:37 pm
The guy who plays David is MO, just curious how his wife feels watching him saying I love you to another woman, even if it is “acting”.
Besides for that I find it extremely corny but now ok hooked.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:53 pm
Me too! But I have other favorites, more reality show type. Should I share, or not give you some silly things to spend/waste time on Wink ?
I like Ben too, even though he's not a very central figure. I think he's too good for Sarah.

Yes, please share. I happen not to be working now, so I have a lot of downtime, but will be going back in a few weeks. I've watched shtisel and srugim. I would be open to something totally clean.
What do you like about Ben ? I find his character is so not likeable. .
Also, regarding the LGBTQ issue in the last episode, I read somewhere that the producers knew they were going to get flak but felt this was very important. There's a whole article online about it.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:56 pm
booboo24 wrote:
The guy who plays David is MO, just curious how his wife feels watching him saying I love you to another woman, even if it is “acting”.
Besides for that I find it extremely corny but now ok hooked.

His wife is probably a very accepting woman, since being a frum actor is not exactly typical to begin with. Not many people would be ok with it.
Btw, there is also an interiew on the Mendy Pellin show with leah and David. In fact, that's how I came across this show.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:18 pm
His wife is probably a very accepting woman, since being a frum actor is not exactly typical to begin with. Not many people would be ok with it.
Btw, there is also an interiew on the Mendy Pellin show with leah and David. In fact, that's how I came across this show.

He has a wife? He looks so young.
Don't think its so strange to be on stage/actor/model in the MO world. I just don't think there are that many opportunities.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:23 pm
Yes, please share. I happen not to be working now, so I have a lot of downtime, but will be going back in a few weeks. I've watched shtisel and srugim. I would be open to something totally clean.
What do you like about Ben ? I find his character is so not likeable. .
Also, regarding the LGBTQ issue in the last episode, I read somewhere that the producers knew they were going to get flak but felt this was very important. There's a whole article online about it.

Start with Shark Tank. Can't tell you how many hours I killed there. If you like it, come back and start a thread about it:)
But you have to have somewhat of a business interest.
The Forward had an article a couple of years ago 'complaining' that SBY was not dealing with 'real' issues. And they mentioned what those real issues are.
So, yay Forward. Now you have it.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:02 pm
Start with Shark Tank. Can't tell you how many hours I killed there. If you like it, come back and start a thread about it:)
But you have to have somewhat of a business interest.
The Forward had an article a couple of years ago 'complaining' that SBY was not dealing with 'real' issues. And they mentioned what those real issues are.
So, yay Forward. Now you have it.

Hmm. I'm really not into business. Anything else? Like similar to SBY or shtisel?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics