Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Twin names that rhyme/sound alike
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
When I was a girl, I knew twins Rafaella and Gavriella. That was too cutesy even though the names aren't really the same.
I knew a Faigy/Fraidy pair.
Girl/boy twins Esti/Eli.

It's so hard for twins to maintain their individuality. Don't make it harder.

I also know a set of twins that were both named after their grandfather. Let's say the grandfather was Yitzchok Zev. One twin was Yitzchok, one was Zev. That also takes away the individuality.

Hello fellow another who grew up in Chicago!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:09 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I have twins and am part of a twins group on fb. I noticed that a lot of ppl in the secular world give their twins almost identical sounding names. I'm not into that... My twins have short cute names but they don't sound alike. They are both 5 letters in length. Perhaps you can do that. Give them names that are similar in length and sort of go together but don't sound the same.

Interesting that you mention it in the secular world. I also noticed it to be a “thing” much more in the secular world than in the frum world.
I worked at an inner city African American school for a while and noticed that they often named their children (not just twins) with “themes”. So they’d either all rhyme (ie Asia, D’aisa/Deja, and K’aisa or Shaniqua, Maniqua, and Taniqua) or all be the same but a letter or two different (ie Dianne, Deanne, and Dion or Malik and Monique). I thought it was strange but I guess for them culturally it’s important to have “cute” and also, creative family names (and I’m sure there are many things we do that we think are important and that they think are strange)...

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Interesting that you mention it in the secular world. I also noticed it to be a “thing” much more in the secular world than in the frum world.
I worked at an inner city African American school for a while and noticed that they often named their children (not just twins) with “themes”. So they’d either all rhyme (ie Asia, D’aisa/Deja, and K’aisa or Shaniqua, Maniqua, and Taniqua) or all be the same but a letter or two different (ie Dianne, Deanne, and Dion or Malik and Monique). I thought it was strange but I guess for them culturally it’s important to have “cute” and also, creative family names (and I’m sure there are many things we do that we think are important and that they think are strange)...

Typical secular ppl will name their twins Olivia and Amelia or Jason and Jennifer not Monique and Shanique lol. Actually my BT friends (2 different not related) always comment how strange it is to them that Frum ppl name their kids almost the same sounding name (Chanie, Chavi and Chaim or Leah, Leiby, Rivky, and Ruchy) and so on. Secular people would generally be more careful about that although they may choose the same letter but they have more options for names obviously and are not necessarily using the same name as a relative.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Typical secular ppl will name their twins Olivia and Amelia or Jason and Jennifer not Monique and Shanique lol. Actually my BT friends (2 different not related) always comment how strange it is to them that Frum ppl name their kids almost the same sounding name (Chanie, Chavi and Chaim or Leah, Leiby, Rivky, and Ruchy) and so on. Secular people would generally be more careful about that although they may choose the same letter but they have more options for names obviously and are not necessarily using the same name as a relative.

While I believe that has been your experience with the secular people you've met, the large African American population that I worked with most definitely named their kids unusual and original names (often of their creation). Before the school year started, I would need the principal to cue me on how to pronounce all of them (D'Asia and T'Asia were not always so clear to me, nor were D'Tion and Marquez and Marquis...)

My point was, that yes, culturally, in the frum world (as well as the general American WASP population), "cute" and very unique names, as well as "themed" names in one family, are not the norm but in some populations (ie some inner city blacks) they very much are (the norm).

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
While I believe that has been your experience with the secular people you've met, the large African American population that I worked with most definitely named their kids unusual and original names (often of their creation). Before the school year started, I would need the principal to cue me on how to pronounce all of them (D'Asia and T'Asia were not always so clear to me, nor were D'Tion and Marquez and Marquis...)

My point was, that yes, culturally, in the frum world (as well as the general American WASP population), "cute" and very unique names, as well as "themed" names in one family, are not the norm but in some populations (ie some inner city blacks) they very much are (the norm).

You consider typical secular Americans to be Black? I do not. They are a minority, just like Frum Jews lol.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names