Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Is instagram a total waste of time for people browsing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:40 pm
I have had instagram for the past year and half and I find myself wasting A LOT of time on it. Watching stories of other frum women, parenting influencers, organizing, cooking, mental health ... it's all very nice but a MASSIVE waste of my time. And everyone is trying to sell you something or other. I am starting to wonder if I am falling for a big marketing trick.

It's hard to tell if I am truly gaining any good information or just wasting my time. It used to be that if I had time I would read. I find that I can barely pick up a book these days because my brain can't be calm enough to read!! I am so used to short bits of information from instagram that a 200 page book is just too much.

I'm wondering if anyone used to have it and got rid of it - how that's been.
If anyone has it and finds it super helpful.
If anyone has it and also finds it addictive and a waste of time.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:48 pm
I got rid of it never been happier

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:54 pm
Thanks - but how? I'm kind of addicted and keep thinking that if I get rid of it I will miss out on some important piece of information that will radically improve my life!

Did you go cold turkey?

meme6

I keep saying I need together rid of it, it’s a complete waste of time and no I don’t think I learnt much from Instagram.

Fox

Got rid of it the morning after the "night of digital long knives." Same with Facebook. Nothing of value was lost.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:57 pm
I deleted the app, but still log in on Chrome every so often.

There is a lot of helpful info on there. I get most of my recipes and cooking inspo from IG. I learnt lots of valuable tips regarding nursing/ breastfeeding, hair/ wig styling, and makeup among others. I found out about great sales through insta. I am an online shopper, and always refer to IG to see what's trending....

It's a very good source. But also VERY addictive, and a HUGE time waster! And as you mentioned, it dimishes your attention span.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:02 pm
I only use it when I am nursing, in the bathroom, in a waiting room other idle waiting around situation. Sometimes at night when the kids are asleep and I am folding laundry or straitening up its nice to have something semi brainless to scroll through. I have learned tons of great life hacks and recipes its just about having good time management. I also only follow accounts that add benefit to my life. I am very selective. I regularly un follow accounts that I dont relate to or make me feel bad.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:05 pm
Not on instagram. Is it so different from the hours I waste here?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:07 pm
I also felt the same way.
I deleted my account completely not only the app about 2 weeks ago and feel so much freer. I don’t need to be the most up to date about everything, much less pressure.
But I’m I frequently on this site and check my WhatsApp status more often bec honestly Instagram was very addictive and entertaining and it’s taking time getting used to spending my time more productively.

mommy24

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:27 pm
I also realized I wasting so much time on IG. I deleted the app around December and maybe checked it 3 times on my computer since then (for when I was looking for a recipe I knew I saved there) BH I am so happy I did. It freed up lots of time and I am not spending money on cookbooks or kitchen items or games that I see there.
I am now getting so much more done, but I have been wasting a lot of time here now Can't Believe It.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks - but how? I'm kind of addicted and keep thinking that if I get rid of it I will miss out on some important piece of information that will radically improve my life!

Did you go cold turkey?

You need to replace it at first - try Twitter. The trick is to keep on switching until you find an app that is less rewarding for you. and that you actually enjoy and benefit from. Yeshiva world, daily wire, imgur.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 5:51 pm
I don’t find Instagram addictive, I go on every couple days for a few minutes. I do find Facebook addictive though. I have my phone set to close the app after a certain amount of time (although that usually means I end up here so I’m not sure what the point is).

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:06 pm
Instagram has been good for me. I check it for a few minutes a day and learn about local events, get recipe ideas, see what my friends and family are up to, and get inspiration. For example, a few months ago someone posted these AMAZING photos of vacation in Panama, and it motivated me so much that I'm actually going to Panama next week! I also don't really follow instagrams that are pitching products or services so much, so that hasn't really been an issue. I actually started my own where I post recipes (after my fellow Ashkenazi friends were asking me about the Persian food I learned to cook for my husband) and it's been a cool way to connect with people and feel productive and proud about what I make!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:34 pm
I quit Instagram and Facebook a few months ago and now I wast way too much time here TMI

With instagram It felt like everyone out there had a perfect life. Now I realize how messed up the world is and how lucky I am. Especially in the spouse department.

Stars

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:09 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Instagram has been good for me. I check it for a few minutes a day and learn about local events, get recipe ideas, see what my friends and family are up to, and get inspiration. For example, a few months ago someone posted these AMAZING photos of vacation in Panama, and it motivated me so much that I'm actually going to Panama next week! I also don't really follow instagrams that are pitching products or services so much, so that hasn't really been an issue. I actually started my own where I post recipes (after my fellow Ashkenazi friends were asking me about the Persian food I learned to cook for my husband) and it's been a cool way to connect with people and feel productive and proud about what I make!

You need motivation to go on vacation?

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:17 pm
Ha, I'm obviously always down for a vacation. But we weren't really planning to do anything for February break - last year we just did a staycation around New York City - until we got the idea in our head that Panama would be an awesome place to visit and we should squeeze in a vacation this time this year.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:32 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Not on instagram. Is it so different from the hours I waste here?

Exactly!

Adela

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I quit Instagram and Facebook a few months ago and now I wast way too much time here TMI

With instagram It felt like everyone out there had a perfect life. Now I realize how messed up the world is and how lucky I am. Especially in the spouse department.

Haha!! This is really funny!! Thanks for the laugh! Smile

lamplighter

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:47 pm
I never got into insta and Im happy about it. It feels very self promoting to me. Its social media but there isnt very much connecting other than giving someone else likes and comments. I prefer to be an active participant in my social life.
I use facebook to connect with family and friends and to ask questions in groups and here I can waste time sure, but also connect with other women, get and give advice etc.

Bottom line is:
Browsing instagram makes me think about how much more I can have/be/do.
Browsing imamother makes me think about how much worse my life could be and how blessed I am. Smile

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:50 pm
I was addicted years ago..
OP like you, I also felt I was wasting my time..plus I would feel horrible about myself after..like I’m fat and ugly bc I used to follow celebrities who seem perfect.
So I deleted my account and and I admit I tried to go on it through the browser without an account but they did this new thing that you can’t continue looking on Instagram unless you have an account.
That pretty much did it for me, I don’t look at it anymore. BH!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media